rewiring and restoring dash....

rewiring and restoring dash....
:)rus..........Go on line to any of those harness makers and they sell a variety of water proof plugs that are probably better than the original Jeep Versions or check a Napa or other parts store near you..........although any plug then filled with a waterproof dielectric grease will also do........just want to keep out the moisture.

:D:D:D:D

Thanks so much for the help man I just also learned something new I didn't know the tail lights grounded out through the mounting bolts I thought the side markers grounded them that was probably my problem I didn't have the lights grounded but I did ground out the side markers.... I read a post about adding a ground to the tail lights themselves how would I go about doing this???? Thanks again man your helping me alot.

Thanks so much for the help man I just also learned something new I didn't know the tail lights grounded out through the mounting bolts I thought the side markers grounded them that was probably my problem I didn't have the lights grounded but I did ground out the side markers.... I read a post about adding a ground to the tail lights themselves how would I go about doing this???? Thanks again man your helping me alot.

:)Should be 3 wires coming from the tailight housing.............or the tailight socket...........#1 is for the running lights, #2 is for the turn & Brake lights and the third is a ground.............coming from the dash you should have 3 wires going back...............1 is for the running lights for both sides and 2&3 are your left & right turn signal lights and brakes combined............
Take the seperate ground wire from your tailight housings and jump both sides together and then attache that lead to a known clean ground on your frame. Solder everything and put heatshrink on the connection end.

Take the #1 wire coming back and attache to both sides for running lights. Take the 2&3 wires coming back and attache each to the correct side for turn signals...............Turn on and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)Should be 3 wires coming from the tailight housing.............or the tailight socket...........#1 is for the running lights, #2 is for the turn & Brake lights and the third is a ground.............coming from the dash you should have 3 wires going back...............1 is for the running lights for both sides and 2&3 are your left & right turn signal lights and brakes combined............
Take the seperate ground wire from your tailight housings and jump both sides together and then attache that lead to a known clean ground on your frame. Solder everything and put heatshrink on the connection end.

Take the #1 wire coming back and attache to both sides for running lights. Take the 2&3 wires coming back and attache each to the correct side for turn signals...............Turn on and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again thanks so much for the help I love the last step im ready to get her out of the driveway thanks so much :chug:

Ok so I added a ground wire to my tail lights and boom running lights and break lights... No turn signals so im guessing I've got it narrowed down to the turn signal switch now since I dont have front or back blinkers :D

Ok so I added a ground wire to my tail lights and boom running lights and break lights... No turn signals so im guessing I've got it narrowed down to the turn signal switch now since I dont have front or back blinkers :D

:)rus, Do you have a test light?..........looks like an Ice Pick with a light at one end and a wire with an alligator clip at the other.........need to find the hot leads coming from the turn signal at attache them.............or check your turn signal relay.......normally about an 1.5 in in diameter with 2 or 3 prongs...........some plug into the fuse block some are attached to the harness..........

Yeah I got a test light I will have to get out there tomorrow and probe around, ya know.... When I had all the wiring out of the jeep I never saw any relay except for the one for the horn I believe.... Guess I need to look for the other one. Either way im excited I've about got all the major issues solved then I can start focusing on my swap

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Ok and at the risk of sounding completely stupid how do you turn on the hazards?

Ok and at the risk of sounding completely stupid how do you turn on the hazards?

:)rus.................I don't know? Should be a single pull type switch on the dash or somehow incorporated into the column or turn signal.........I own an early Jeep..............If it still has a stock column in it look at the color codes of the wires coming out of the column..........should not be that hard to figure out..........

Just picked up an 86 CJ7 4.0L....needs wiper motor, oil press. gauge, new pull controls for heater and vent and speedometer doesn't work(but the odometer and fuel gauge do). And I need to install a horn.

I am an electronic IDIOT but would like to learn/fix what I can on my own. The wires underneath are a rats nest that need to be gone through but I have no idea where to begin. I was trying to find illustrations or pictures of what it should look like. I can't even find a picture of a detailed fuse box for the 86.
If anyone has any advise on any of these issues, or knows someone in the St. Louis area that I can take it to that they trust with CJs please let me know. Thank you, thank you, thank you
Not kidding guys......Speak to me like I'm a small child....that has a head injury:confused::confused::confused:

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/gauge-electronic-freakout-17760/#ixzz2MJHf4MbK

can anybody tell where....better yet show me the where the speedometer cable connects to the speedo gauge? Been all over the web and nobody has a photo or diagram.

Thanks

can anybody tell where....better yet show me the where the speedometer cable connects to the speedo gauge? Been all over the web and nobody has a photo or diagram.

Thanks
I've got pics but can't load them off my phone it is dead center on the back of the gauge you can reach up and feel it

got it...obvious. there is on e hooked up, but not working. I assume it's bad. how the hell do I run the new one?

1 of 3 things is bad. Your gauge, your cable, or the Transfer Case gear.

you can test the Transfer Case and cable at the same time to see if individual testing is needed. Dissconnect from the gauge and secure in a location you can view tip while driving. Drive slowly and watch the tip to see if it moves. If not, you'll have to start looking into cable (disconnect both sides and use drill to see if spinning one end works the other) or Transfer Case (process of elimination) Obviously if the end does spin by drive test, the gauge is bad.

If you have already done all of that (or similar) and you know its the cable, gauge or transfer gear, let us know so we can help with the procedures for each.

:chug:
~ Jr

just brought home my "new" 86 cj...is there a reason the PO would have a water temp. gauge where the oil gauge is supposed to be?

well the cable spins....and even when I spin the back of the speedometer by hand, nothing happens. Do I need a whole new assembly or can I get buy with a Speedometer Head?

hey guys.....i'm not wrong, the switch for the heater is the same switch for the windshield wiper? Will that also work the wiper fluid?

yeah I was going to just buy the head but temp gauge is bad too so for $12 bucks more I just ordered the whole assembly.

hey guys.....i'm not wrong, the switch for the heater is the same switch for the windshield wiper? Will that also work the wiper fluid?
The wiper switch is only for the wipers it has nothing to do with you heater. And yes it also works the w/s washers, you push it for the washers.

let me rephrase....the type of switch that I need to buy and hook up behind the dash for both controls, is THAT the same part#? Is it the same plug in switch?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom