running very lean!!! Is it from a cracked Exhaust Manifold

running very lean!!! Is it from a cracked Exhaust Manifold
I bought the felpro gasket from Oriley's and I only have the main gasket, I will return it or have them pull another to see if mine is missing one. I agree with 81 Laredo , there is a carb check light that comes on, it may be a California emmisions add-on! There is also a smog pump that pumps into the exh manifold. I will have to fiqure out a way to bypass this as it destroyed itself when I tried to remove them, half were already repaired by welding them to the port. Also, when I pulled the intake off, there was only one gasket, was there originally 2? Thanks for the warm welcome Elwood Blues

The CARB CHECK light is on the left side of the Dash. I am fairly sure that is a part of the Calif Smog Equipment.
I would caution you about removing the Smog Pump or eliminating any of the Smog Equipment if you want the Jeep Registered here in Calif, if not I would eliminate all of that :dung: and go with a better Carburetor. I am going to install the Fuel Injection System off of a '91 Cherokee primarily to get rid of the Smog :dung: that according to the Calif. Smog Referee will most likely not pass anyway.
I will keep all of the Smog Junk in a "kit" after my conversion just in case someone needs it but I most likely will not get to it until later in the year.

Man, I had to do a lot of digging about that CARB CHECK light. It only came on CJ's sold with the California Emissions package, wow, that's definately a new one. Learn something new everyday. :chug:

DSC08034.jpg

I'm not knowledgable at all about CA smog testing. But like 81laredo said, I don't think you'll ever pass sniff test without that stuff hooked up and there's no way you'll pass visual without it.

As for the other option; registering the vehicle in another state and ripping that stuff off to make it run better, I did just that to my CJ last year. Getting rid of the air pump and tubes is a pain, I ended up having to replace the exhaust manifold because the tubes were broken off in the manifold. But, the power and responsiveness (since I've worked out all of the bugs :)) have been really nice.

I'm with you Elwood. I've never seen one of those.:eek:
Another wonder from the land of fruits, nuts & flakes.:laugh:

Last edited:
Actually the end result of the Calif Smog has been worth it. I remember driving into Los Angeles in the 80's and seeing the Smog hanging like a Cloud over the city. Today it is much better than it was.
The problem with the early Smog :dung: is that it didn't work that good, it was an early attempt to get the cars to run cleaner and now at least we are getting better Fuel Mileage, maybe a gift from the Land of Fruitcakes and Nuts.

Actually the end result of the Calif Smog has been worth it. I remember driving into Los Angeles in the 80's and seeing the Smog hanging like a Cloud over the city. Today it is much better than it was.
The problem with the early Smog :dung: is that it didn't work that good, it was an early attempt to get the cars to run cleaner and now at least we are getting better Fuel Mileage, maybe a gift from the Land of Fruitcakes and Nuts.

Don't let'em in your head.
More cars getting better mileage has nothing to do with the fruits & nuts.
There were cars in the 50's & 60's that had decent MPG numbers, but nobody wanted them because gas was cheap.
The mileage numbers we're seeing today has more to do with OPEC than emissions, it's the same ol'thing. Just follow the money.;)

I bought it in CA, but live in a county in AZ where there is no Emissions. Personally, I think the smog pump does nothing to help the environment, I am always for helping the environment, but to pump air into the exhaust to dilute the readings is useless. How do I bypass the smog pump anyway? I have a serpentine belt an my 81 and would have to get a complete set of V belt bullies, right?

X2

Man, I had to do a lot of digging about that CARB CHECK light. It only came on CJ's sold with the California Emissions package, wow, that's definately a new one. Learn something new everyday. :chug:

DSC08034.jpg

I need to find one of thoes to use as a check engine light.:laugh:

I bought it in CA, but live in a county in AZ where there is no Emissions. Personally, I think the smog pump does nothing to help the environment, I am always for helping the environment, but to pump air into the exhaust to dilute the readings is useless. How do I bypass the smog pump anyway? I have a serpentine belt an my 81 and would have to get a complete set of V belt bullies, right?

I agree.
IMHO if you want better emissions, a aftermarket EFI with closed loop O2 sensor & higher compression would do more to reduce your tailpipe emissions.
That smog pump wouldn't even make a good trotline weight.

Obviously the V-belts would work, I suppose you could rig up a idler pulley & bracket.

I agree.
IMHO if you want better emissions, a aftermarket EFI with closed loop O2 sensor & higher compression would do more to reduce your tailpipe emissions.
That smog pump wouldn't even make a good trotline weight.

Obviously the V-belts would work, I suppose you could rig up a idler pulley & bracket.

X2 on the EFI

If you go to a V belt make sure the water pump is still turning the correct direction.

Roger that! No water pump will ever run backwards on my watch. Just kidding!! Can someone answer my earlier question about the 2 gaskets. I had only one intake gasket that was removed from the intake, but Elrod states there are 2 in the FEL-PRO set. Was my CJ missing one and did this cause my leak perhaps? Also, is there a gasket that goes in between the collecter from the exh manifold to the down pipe? The flanges were flared concave and convex but I had a leak there too. No gasket found when removed. Buy the way, my goal right now is to get the CJ running t take it to the mountains once, then I will start making improvements in the future. My family and I are excited to take it off road, but I need to get it on the road first!!! Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Both places I just looked at online, NAPA and AUTOZONE both show the exact same part number MS90949 for a FEL-PRO gasket set and they both have this stock picture;

610046.jpg

And the other question, between the head pipe and the manifold there is a donut. Used to be a asbestos donut, now I have no idea what it's made of. From those two places, NAPA and AUTOZONE, they show two different kinds of donuts, one if you have a catalytic converter, one if you don't.

BTW Chief, It's Elwood, ELROD is the frigate idiot-1.png

DSC08034.jpg
well they sure as heck don't sell you one of these with a set of dash lights!!:cool:

I have the vaccumn routing diagram for that if you need it.Been gonna scan and insert some stuff I have on 81-83.Time Time Time where is it.
Mike:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom