shorten throttle cable

shorten throttle cable
Yeah, I think John (Nutter) was more concerned with his power-at-all-costs than his efficiency. Ironically, it seems to be the consensus that setting the stepper to midpoint delivers more power AND better efficiency.

Seems to me that I've read something about an entirely manual method... if memory serves, it requires real concentration to get it reassembled (gotta' be done disassembled) without disturbing things, though. I'll bet Google or AltaVista search for "Carter BBD" would turn up some details on that.

OK...So, I took pictures of every empty wiring harness I could find. None match the description completely, but the two closest seem to be the left wire in picture one (black w/white slotted connector), or the green wire in picture two (round, black 90 degree connector).

Do either of these fit?

The rest just don't seem right at all, though I will post them as well...

That left wire in Picture #1 looks VERY MUCH like the right one - especially if the insulation on it feels softer than the others; that'd be a clincher. Nothing else in those pics looks anything like an O2 sensor connector.

That left wire in Picture #1 looks VERY MUCH like the right one - especially if the insulation on it feels softer than the others; that'd be a clincher. Nothing else in those pics looks anything like an O2 sensor connector.

I can't say it's really softer, but it is black. How about the slotted connection? Is that consistent with the O2 sensor?? Somehow, I was thinking that they were a round connector...

EDIT: BTW: I did some searches concerning the manual moving of the metering pins. I found references to removing the stepper motor from the carb and pulling them out further (i.e., richen) with needlenose pilers, but nothing about pushing them further into the stepper motor (leaning)...

Perfectly consistent. :)

15dw843.jpg

Bingo!

The other thing I want to do is take a shot of the current position of the pins to confirm my guess that they are in the fully rich position...

If so, then your brilliant O2 simulator is the next step!

Here are a couple decent pictures of the metering pins. Looking at them now in good light (based on the "shoulder"), could they actually be in a partially LEAN position? Or, is that just the base end of the pin?

While I was over there, I also took a picture of the ignition module wiring harness. There are no signs of any modifications to either of the connectors, and specifically to the right connector (right?) that has the orange and a (very faded) purple wire. The other one has a very faded red wire...

I didn't take any pictures of the distributor side, but again there doesn't seem to be any modifications.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom