Slight knocking sound related to clutch???

Slight knocking sound related to clutch???

65reissue

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 Jeep CJ5 - Renegade - 304 w/3 spd - pretty stock at the moment.
Hey guys...just took a run in my jeep and noticed that there is a slight knocking sound under the drivers (sounds like anyway)...when I depress the clutch a little bit it stops...let the clutch out again and it starts back up. Does it whether I'm in gear or not. Do you guys have any idea what it might be? thanks.

Another tid bit of info...I adjusted the clutch tavel a couple weeks ago. It was where I had to burying the clutch in the floor for it engage...so I adjusted it back. Could it possibly be something due to that? Maybe adjusted too much? I plan to adjust some of it back to see if it will help when I get home...but could that have anything to do with this noise? I have driven it a few times since I adjusted and haven't noticed the knocking (or thumping) until last night. Maybe it was there before and I just didn't notice...??? thanks guys....

Do you still have linkage type clutch in that?

If so, 1" of free play in the pedal is the recommended adjustment.

If it's too tight, it will wear the throwout bearing out very quick, as there will be slight pressure on it all the time.

I would re adjust (how did you adjust by the way?) to 1" free play in the pedal. Basically before it even "hits" the starting to feel the linkage moving point

The knocking I would assume (though it is usually more of a whine / grind sound) is the Throwout bearing.. probably is just beginning to make the noise... Hopefully it will quit after you re adjust.:cool:
:chug:

~ JR

I assume I have linkage type...I may not understand what you mean by that...but I'm not really mechanically inclined. I adjusted with the clutch adjuster pretty much under the driver's seat...I may have taken too much out of it. I hope I didn't wear out the throwout bearing. I havent driven it over 2 or 3 miles since I adjusted it. But will adjust it back some and see if it goes away. If it doesn't ...I assume its the throwout bearing? Someone else I was talking to today said he thought thats what it was.

later_clutch_linkage.gif

See the part labeled adjuster? that is what you "Should" be adjusting, on the bar going to clutch fork (labeled release fork above...)

Sorry kinda crappy pic, you can see better on Novak's site...

Did you get what i was saying about wanting the free-play on the pedal?

It should move about an inch before actually starting to do anything, you should be able to feel it... like slop... :cool:

:D I think your bearing may be ok... I'll cross my fingers for ya.

~ JR

Ok...gotcha. Thats what I have and thats where I adjusted. I think I have it right now where the clutch is engaging as soon as I push the pedal...was loving that feeling after having to cram it through the floor to get it to engage before. I will readjust it this evening where it engages after about an inch of free play. Will see what happens and let you know. thanks again...

No worries my friend! Glad if i could help!

I liked the feel when tight too, but its bad for it. :cool:

I did the same thing when i adjusted mine first time... Then read feild service manual and said 1" free play... It works out nicely though when adjusted right not too low to engage, my guess is u needed to adjust, just adjusted to tight... Or your friction disc is getting thin... How long has that clutch been used? If you dont know, and it keeps feeling "off" or slipping it may be time to relace it... :cool:

Also a real good upgrade ( if not done already) is hiem joint ends for the rods... If you are interested ill show u what i mean with some pics and a link...

It stops the stupid ball ends from ripping out of the plastic on flex and leaving you stuck in gear... It got anoying on mine...

Since i went hiem joints, no more binding / popping out...

Yeah...I'd be interested in what your talking about if you can elaborate on it and pics always help me. I readjusted the clutch again...there is still a knocking there...could possibly a little less loud maybe? I can't really tell...but either way, still there.

You got it adjusted to about an inch of freeplay?

the describing of the sound as knocking kinda scares me...

Knocking usually signifies something more serious... Can you tell where exactly it is coming from?

It's real hard to diagnose a sound you cant hear from over the internet... But I'll try my best to help.

Is it louder at any time? Like during quick acceleration?

Thats what scares me too. Yeah...about an inch...maybe a little more...finding that sweet spot is tough. I adjusted a little then took it for a drive...it didn't seem as loud and at times I couldn't even hear it...but it is there. Its just not a consistent knock (or may be described as a thump)...louder sometimes more than others...and it doesn't depend on speed or anything. It can be sitting in neutral idling and be louder than when its in gear and rolling. When it first started doing it, I got under and it sounded like it was under the drivers seat...tonight when I get home (and hopefully have some time) I will get under it again and try to pinpoint it a little better. Also...don't mean to switch gears but I have a leak like maybe between the block and bell housing...there are a few other little leaks that aren't a concern but this one is noticable. Is there any rememdy or your thoughts on it? I have only had the jeep for a little over a month...I'm going to change the oil in the engine, Transmission , Transfer Case and axles. Just wanted to know if there is anything I need to pay attention to. thanks again for your help.

This might sound way out there but I'll share a quick story with you...

I was driving back from Ice House Rd (about 60 - 100 miles from me) and all of a sudden i could hear a smacking / grinding / vibrating noise. Got out and checked it a few times. Found out my muffler clamp came loose and muffler was smacking it (the clamp) against the frame... That was the thumping / smacking sound. Then still was feeling / hearing a grinding / vibrating sound. Turned out when i got stuck, and used my shovel, i quickly just stuck it on the floorboard... It was vibrating against the floor. that was second noise.

Then my front license plate was loose and created a vibrate sound up front. Stuck a stick between it and bumper, no more sound there either... Then heard a "popping sound" that was a exhaust leak...

Point of above, these things make noises out of no where and sometimes its a PITA to figure it out, and when you do, sometimes it will make you laugh... :cool: (like my shovel sound...)

On your other questions...

Can you tell exactly where you're leaking from? Could be rear seal, or leaking down from somewhere above...

Couple ways you can figure it out... Clean off as much as you can around the leaking area, and put die in the oil. See where leaking from.

How much is this leak? It is motor oil for sure?

Ha...I like your story. When my wife rides with me she's like...Whats that sound? ...its typically pretty easy to explain. The biggest one for her was the rear tire mount rattling...she thought we had same major issues. On my deal...I was hoping it was something like that but I feel like it isn't with the fact that it only does it when the clutch is out...when I press the pedal it stops. ...on the leaking. Maybe I can take some pictures and it might help explain what I'm talking about. I'll try to do that this evening too. thanks again.

Yeah only clutch out makes me think something "funny" with linkage, or throwout bearing, but not sure why knocking. Every throwout bearing I've ever heard go bad was a "whirrling / grinding sound" no knocking... :confused:

I was hoping someone else would chime in with another idea too... Usually they do by now...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom