Some advice on Jeep purchase

Some advice on Jeep purchase

Robbp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 5 360ci
Hi all,
ok so I sold my 85 CJ7 due to the fact that it needed waaaaay more work than I have time to do right now.

Since last week I have been jeepless :mad:

I made a call and found a 1968 CJ5 with a ? Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6 engine, 3 speed tranny. Supposed to have 40,000 original miles. I have heard of these engines but do not know much about them.
Guy has the tub off the frame, frame is painted, needs brakes which he has new drums but needs lines and plumbed. He said the tub is the worst part of the whole jeep being the areas covered by the diamond plate trim that rusted out, floors being ok. Guy says he has the heads out getting dipped and hardened seats put in for modern gasoline. He didn't say anything about the engine bottom end.:confused: No tops soft or hard, but guys says everything is there.
My questions are:
was the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 original to a '68 CJ5 ? Is the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 a good engine for a jeep? how can I tell if this is really a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 ????? Depending on the frame condition (patched or not) and wiring harness what kind of price would be fair?
What else should I be on the lookout for if I choose to buy it?

Thanks for any and all help!!!!
Robb

The Dauntless Buick 225 V6 was in that jeep, is a great motor, it looks like a tiny 350.
Running jeep can be had for $3k in good condition, depending on your area.
But only you can decide if it's a good deal.
Still sounds like alot of work.

Dauntless Buick 225 V6 is a legend in jeeps
they are the buick 305 minus 2 cylinders and share many a part with them
they are the best engine ever put in a jeep in it;s time
a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 is a v6, the distributor is in the front, firing order is 1 6 5 4 3 2
original paint is kinda of a greenish blue
it is called an oddfire
and it is a motor you want in a 68

that jeep assembles and running in original;l condition is worth 3 grand and up depending on the condition of the tub
now having torn the thing down, it is worth parts and trouble.
If you have no time, do you have the time to reassemble and entire jeep sourcing parts that are not up to stuff?
I would offer 1500 if you can be guarenteed the engine is running
otherwise a cool thousand 500 up front and 500 when you pick it up with the parts inventoried and seperated so you can see what is there. or 600 for the parts as the are now. That is a good price plan for something you cannot tell if it is complete.

remember, this is a project jeep he started and either is over his head, or has found out it will take 10 grand to put it back together rebuilding everything, He got it and decided he had the ability to get a great jeep for cheap, now the project is gone sour, but he no longer has a jeep, he has a pile of parts he is trying to pass off as a jeep easily assembled to any idiot who will bite. Unfortunately for him the boom has busted and no one has any money for such things today. You now can go in and make a swinging deal, or get ripped of big time.
the best part of that package is the engine, they are very desirable engines in an early jeep such as he has. Bot it is disassembled and not running. Who knows what it will take to get it running.
so the Jeep is worth what it can be sold for parts for,
I possibly could get 600 clams back out of it if I put a ton of work into the parts cleaning them up and advertising them in places that the early cj crowd gathers, but it would not be worth my time, giving him 600 dollars would be only putting me into a spot where I needed to reassemble the jeep and use it, about a 6 month project and costing me a few grand to do it correct.
So as I said, the engine is worth more than the jeep
1500 if it is running
1000 if he can prove every part is there
600 for the group of parts as is because I am an Jeep idiot

Last edited:
Hi all,
ok so I sold my 85 CJ7 due to the fact that it needed waaaaay more work than I have time to do right now.
Robb

If you didn't have time for your 85, what makes you think you will have time to rebuild this one :confused:

If you didn't have time for your 85, what makes you think you will have time to rebuild this one :confused:

well, you're right, but my thinking is that if this needed less work then it may be possible to get it done before winter hits. So I guess to clarify I need a project that needs to be done before snow hits me in the ***! There is no way I could have done this with the '85 and as it turns out this 68 too!!!!

ok, so I go check this 68 out and here is what I found......
Tub was a hunk of rusted steel that somewhat resembled a jeep at one time. Floors were gone, Tub sides gone, 1/4" diamond plate welded in for sides. Hood looked ok, windsheild frame was rotted, glass cracked.
Frame was patched on each side, behind front springs, frame was boxed at the front where steering box mounts. All of this sitting outside.
Guy was asking 1200
I walked away.......

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom