Speedometer Gear help

Speedometer Gear help

Tiretrack

Jeeper
Thanks
OK, New to the Jeep world and this forum.
So far I am loving both.

I am in need of help. I have a 84 CJ7 , frame off resoration with Fiber body. Changed the 4c to a 360 and upsized the clutch to match.
Added 31" tires and now the speedometer is off.
I am moving faster than what is stated. I did the math and it appears that I need a 29 tooth gear. Original tranny and gear ratio's. I am making the assumption that its a 3.52.

Any opinions, help and locators for this gear would be a big help.

:notworthy:

You do not say if you added larger or smaller tires I will assume larger. The larger the tire the slower you speedo will read. I know with the D18 and Dana 20 the speddo gears can not be changed I think it is the same with the Dana 300 . I was told you can change some of the gearing inside the Transfer Case but am not sure what it amounts to it was going to cost me to much so I just live with being 5 mph slower.

No you can change the 81 and up Dana 300 speedo gear go to
4WD.com they have them.

Note: The Dana 18 and 20 use a steel speedo gear. as do the 1980
Dana 300 .

I got the one for my 83 off ebay.

My speedometer is off by a few mph which i can deal with but it bounces contantly by 5 mph or so it never reads steady. Anything I can do?

My speedometer is off by a few mph which i can deal with but it bounces contantly by 5 mph or so it never reads steady. Anything I can do?

That sounds to me more like the cable or the Speedometer. make sure the connection at the tc is good.

You could try greaseing it.

When you finally get tired of the speedo being off, think about trying a Nordskog or Dakota digital speedo. It will calibrate with any size tire. Push the program button, drive 1 mile. Hit the button again and 31, 36 or 38.5s, doesn't matter. It's right on!

Try Napa they sell stuff to lube the cable. 4WD.com has a speedo chart.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom