Build Thread Sponge rebuild round 2

Build Thread Sponge rebuild round 2
PLEASE, keep us post'd.
:chug:
LG

The project has officially been re-started...

A long story and a lot of good excuses for the delays but stage 1 is starting today!

The old CJ is off to V3 Jeep Shop in Louisville KY as we speak. They are going to go thru it from top to bottom today and tomorrow to put a plan together if the frame and engine are in good enough shape to invest in it...

Sponge nice to see you still have your cj. I would hold on tight to those wicked fenders, had you been drinking when you cut those? :D

Sponge nice to see you still have your cj. I would hold on tight to those wicked fenders, had you been drinking when you cut those? :D

HA! I think I may know a guy that was involved....can you believe that has been almost 12 years ago?!?

How the heck are you?!?:chug:

Last edited:
As an update...

V3 Jeep Shop gave it the green light from the frame standpoint.

So I made a trip up there the day before my moving truck showed up to move my family back to Chicago...needless to say I was impressed with the guys, the shop, their work, and Derek my project manager's alignment with me on what we want to get done.

Great to find a shop that you feel as if you can trust...especially now with most shops not having the skills for a rig like ours and more importantly how much money they are making on bolt on accessories for Jeep's with air bags.

We went thru it together, created the priority list of action items and they will begin working on it as time allows as I am not in a hurry and they are in their peak season for the big money projects.

Plan is address:
- Compression test and go thru any potential issues with engine, only 87K so hopefully good...
- Suspension
- Steering linkage etc set up, pump
- Brakes - master cylinder and would like to do 4 wheel discs
- all new lines (fuel/brake)
- regear (4.10?)
- rebuild axles
- determine life if any of T-5 and estimate cost of installing a T-18 I have
- install YJ family cage I have

Let the money pit begin!

HA! I think I may know a guy that was involved....can you believe that has been almost 12 years ago?!?

How the heck are you?!?:chug:

12yrs seriously? Life's good. I'll pm you so we don't ruin your build thread.

Jeep is up and running and after working the old gas out very strong as before.

Mechanic said brakes aren't bad, shifts good, and suspension is a-ok. So now onto linkage, shafts, gears, steering, and other bits to make it safe and road worthy. Video will be coming soon!

Jeep is up and running and after working the old gas out very strong as before.
I sure hope you didn't run that bad gas thru your motor :eek:

They got all the gas out of the tank they could, then put the treatment in, then gas. Still stuff in the lines and tank I am sure...

All in all after talking with both guys working on it they were shocked ar how it runs. My Frankenstein engine still has balls!

After a lengthy summer delay because the shop doing my work is finishing another CJ before mine the tear down started yesterday!

So wish I had the time and shop (I use to have) to do it myself...

Brakes, shocks, & steering tear down/rebuild...yes those rear brakes were shot!

Awesome! A new steel tub. Please keep us updated on the new tub. I'm very interested in the problems the shop runs into with body mounts and other parts that attach to the tub. There's been a lot written on this, but this will be the only first hand report on this matter.

Awesome! A new steel tub. Please keep us updated on the new tub. I'm very interested in the problems the shop runs into with body mounts and other parts that attach to the tub. There's been a lot written on this, but this will be the only first hand report on this matter.

Thanks - will do, I talked with the guys this morning and they are going to take a lot of pictures and keep me in the loop on how it all goes.

They have done numerous of these tub swaps and I bought what they recommended due to their experience with it. He estimated it will take 40-60 hours to put it back together depending upon what he runs into. I think the big unknown is what challenges he will face when he puts back together my EFI.

I am like a kid waiting for Christmas...can't sleep at night and work concentration is more than distracted.

That's the extras I was talking about they may have to do.
I had to relocate 4 body mounts in the tub, because the tub was a later model design, and wouldn't bolt to the 76 frame. No biggie. Just not a true 'bolt on'.

They probably will encounter a lot of small issues. That's why you mock it all up first, then take it apart for bodywork/paint after you've drilled new holes.

Okay… I've read this entire thread… can't wait to see how this all goes.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks, I finally found all my pics from the "college restoration" just need to scan them in and post...

The guys at v3 started plotting the tear down Friday and figuring out my EFI amateur wire job

The tear down!!!! Excited and scared at the same time...more how over budget I am and how many gremlins will be found...

Sorry for the continued attachments...photobucket hates me.

Take pictures and make a log book as you go along-It will help a lot come rebuild time.
Also-Get some baggies and lable them for what bolts etc, went where.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom