swap advice

swap advice

rex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 Cj5 i6
finally have some time to work on the jeep again so here i am!! I have a 74 i6 3spd. How difficult will it be to make it drive like new jeep?? Im trying to get ideas on some good engine/traney combos. I would like a 5spd and would like a 6cl (save a little on gas) but need some umff though. are turbos jeep taboo or anything like that???

One of the guys I know has a turbo on his 4.0 tj. Runs real well over about 2500 rpm.

how difficult is an engine traney swap? do i have to weld new mounts ect..... or is there some crate engine out there that will just bolt right in??

Advance Adapters will set you up with just about any combination. Probally will take new mounts, driveshafts, exhaust and on and on. . .

Cheaper would be a AMC 304 or a 4.6 stroked AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

At least then it doesn't turn into a step child.

Do you really want a Beep, Ceep, Deep or Feep?

Advance Adapters will set you up with just about any combination. Probally will take new mounts, driveshafts, exhaust and on and on. . .

Cheaper would be a AMC 304 or a 4.6 stroked AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

At least then it doesn't turn into a step child.

Do you really want a Beep, Ceep, Deep or Feep?
ha ha ha...love it. Im going to have to break some balls with those now lol...thanks for the laugh:D:D:D

finally have some time to work on the jeep again so here i am!! I have a 74 i6 3spd. How difficult will it be to make it drive like new jeep?? Im trying to get ideas on some good engine/traney combos. I would like a 5spd and would like a 6cl (save a little on gas) but need some umff though. are turbos jeep taboo or anything like that???

IMHO the main issue with MPG lies in the aerodynamics.
CJ's are as slick as a 4'X8' sheet of plywood.:laugh:

What do you plan on using the jeep for? (Daily driver, trail riding on the weekends, etc)

If you want to keep the straight six then go with the T-5 . Easiest route to go if you are keepnig it mild and as a daily driver

I am almost 100% positive that you cannot fit a 5 speed with a Transfer Case into a CJ5 . The drive shaft would be about 6 inches long. If you were really hardcore about a 5 speed though if you went with a V6 then pushed it as far forward as you could get away with on relocated engine mounts then you "might" be able to make the 5 speed work.

personally my dad has a 5 with a 360 and it gets better millage then my moms 7 with a v6 in it. granted you would be going to a fuel injected motor and probably get more power and better gas millage. but the ls family chevy v8 get high 20's to low 30's on the highway and make some good power plus you can pick them up cheap. check out Novak Jeep Conversions - Home they have a good write up on it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom