T-150 to T-176 swap info

T-150 to T-176 swap info

Buuushman

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77' CJ-5, 360 c.i. motor, T-176 trans, D-300 transfer case w\ twin sticks, Dana 30 front, A.M.C. 20 rear w/ 4.10's, solid axles & trac-lok, 2.5" lift Y.J. springs.
I currently have a T-150 in my CJ5 and first gear is starting to go south. I found a guy on C.L. with a T-176 out of a 82' CJ8 for $100 and was wondering what it would take- or if it is even possible- to do the swap.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Bush

Your best off grabbing the Dana 300 Transfer Case with it right away. Your Dana 20 wont work. You will need new driveshafts. If he has the front one from the CJ8 grab that too , it will fit. The rear one is oviously too long. Other than that your good to go. The T-176 will bolt up using your current bellhousing. Id have to check on the clutch just to make sure.

I really want to stick with my Dana 20 case- I was planning to twin stick it and I like the idea of the all gear setup. Are there any simple tranny swaps that won't cost me a mint and get me another gear/ better ratio?

the Dana 300 can be twin sticked, is all gears , and has a lower low range than your Dana 20 . For $100 Id grab that T-176 and stash it away till I had the other stuff to go with it. Id try and grab as much of the stuff I posted you would need from this guy as he seems to be selling cheap. Just make sure to take a good look at everything.

As far as other tranny swaps that are cheap? Not really.Pretty much all require driveshaft replacements. T-18s are exspensive and usually need the input shaft swapped. Besides the T-18 the T-176 /7 is the only other Jeep Transmission worth swapping in in my opinion.
I really want to stick with my Dana 20 case- I was planning to twin stick it and I like the idea of the all gear setup. Are there any simple tranny swaps that won't cost me a mint and get me another gear/ better ratio?

Hey Im not trying to discourage you from doing a Transmission swap , quite the opposite. This is a viable swap for you. If you have to wait for a piece or two till cash is available so be it. Remember to take care of the Transmission if it sits awile though. Give the shaft a 1/4 turn once in awhile to keep the gears lubed and make sure they dont rust. Id drain it and fill with new. Make sure there isnt any water in there. :)

well, the Dana 300 Transfer Case is mated to a T-5 tranny and he wants $450 for the pair- and does not want to separate them. Is the T-5 any good or have a decent resale value? It still would be over my budget (which is practically nonexistent) but I may be able to make it work.
Thanks-

Bush

From Novak's site:

The T-5 was the standard five-speed in the 1982-1986 CJ
  • Compatible with AMC I6 engines Aluminum case and top cover. Close-ratio first-gear and Overdrive in fifth gear Neither strong, nor suited to conversions or serious off-road use
  • 1982-1986 CJ Jeeps
More info on the T5

The Borg Warner T-4 /T-5 transmissions were standard shift, four-speed, five-speed transmissions (respectively) found in 1982 to 1986 Jeep CJ models. They are light-duty transmissions found behind the AMC 150 (2.5L) I4 and the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ).

Last edited:
I wouldnt even if you had the money. The T-5 is notoriously weak. The Dana 300 is worth $300 tops in my opinion. There are times when people will pay for a 5 spd. Transmission , but as a seller you get that dirty Ive screwed someone feeling. This is a case of what you have available in your location though. Im sure youve dealt with this before. I state again for $100 you gotta buy that T-176 if its in good condition. They garner anywhere from $250 to $400 here in the lower 48. If for some reason you abandon the Transmission swap it'll fund something else. :)
well, the Dana 300 Transfer Case is mated to a T-5 tranny and he wants $450 for the pair- and does not want to separate them. Is the T-5 any good or have a decent resale value? It still would be over my budget (which is practically nonexistent) but I may be able to make it work.
Thanks-

Bush

Thanks for the info guys- very useful as always- gonna go see the guy on the T-176 and see if I can't talk him into separating the T- case for me. Wish me luck

Bush

Plus the T-150 is an easy rebuild.

I'm with Brock, I realy don't see the T-176 as being that much if any of an up grade. Aluminum case , chain drive and a tendency to jump out of 3rd on deceleration. It is ok but the T-150 is stronger and tranny rebuilds are a walk in the park.

What??????????
I'm with Brock, I realy don't see the T-176 as being that much if any of an up grade. Aluminum case , chain drive and a tendency to jump out of 3rd on deceleration. It is ok but the T-150 is stronger and tranny rebuilds are a walk in the park.

What??????????
OK I WILL SAY IT LOUDER!!
I'm with Brock, I really don't see the T-176 as being that much if any of an up grade. Aluminum case , chain drive and a tendency to jump out of 3rd on deceleration. It is ok but the T-150 is stronger and tranny rebuilds are a walk in the park.

You can say it as loud as you please , but it still doesnt mean your right. :D Ok the case is aluminum. Its lighter and you have a big old skid plate protecting it anyway. Find me the chain in the exploded view below. Ive had 4 T-176s now and never had a problem with them jumping out of gear. That doesnt nessacarily mean that it doesnt , but that seems more like a wear issue than a defect. That brings us to the walk in the park. Fix 3rd gear. :D t-176-177-transmission.jpg

OK I WILL SAY IT LOUDER!!
I'm with Brock, I really don't see the T-176 as being that much if any of an up grade. Aluminum case , chain drive and a tendency to jump out of 3rd on deceleration. It is ok but the T-150 is stronger and tranny rebuilds are a walk in the park.

No excuses, your right and I are wrong.
After going over the numbers, there is absolutely no way to defend my position on this. The T-176 with the Dana 300 has about a 30% lower final drive than the original and, in fact about 6% lower than a ford T-18 with adaptor to the Dana 20 . I think I have seen the light Pete, an entirely new drive train paradigm is evolving.
I still do not consider the difference between the two gear boxes to be significant as they stand alone but with the option of the Dana 300 the parameters change considerably.

You can say it as loud as you please , but it still doesnt mean your right. :D Ok the case is aluminum. Its lighter and you have a big old skid plate protecting it anyway. Find me the chain in the exploded view below. Ive had 4 T-176s now and never had a problem with them jumping out of gear. That doesnt nessacarily mean that it doesnt , but that seems more like a wear issue than a defect. That brings us to the walk in the park. Fix 3rd gear. :D t-176-177-transmission.jpg

What's so hard about 3rd?
When I did my rebuild I basically replaced all the geras, LOL.
The PO could NOT drive stick.
I'll take the cast iron beasty anyday, LOL.
The only thing I didn't like about the T-150 was the gearing,
1st was kinda tall.

I’m thinking of my T-178 in the J-10 with the NP 208 TC, that’s where the chain drive came from.
The third gear thing has something to do with the preload on the main shaft. After a few miles they pop out of third.

Alone nope , gotta agree there. Usually these Transmission cost around $300. Factor in new driveshafts and the Dana 300 and it gets costly. If your rockcrawling its worth it in my opinion. Plus I always buy low. ;)
. The T-176 with the Dana 300 has about a 30% lower final drive than the original and, in fact about 6% lower than a ford T-18 with adaptor to the Dana 20 . I think I have seen the light Pete, an entirely new drive train paradigm is evolving.
I still do not consider the difference between the two gear boxes to be significant as they stand alone but with the option of the Dana 300 the parameters change considerably.

I like the cast iron except when doing the actual swaps. :DThat first gear is why I don't care for the T-150 .
What's so hard about 3rd?
When I did my rebuild I basically replaced all the gears, LOL.
The PO could NOT drive stick.
I'll take the cast iron beasty anyday, LOL.
The only thing I didn't like about the T-150 was the gearing,
1st was kinda tall.

Now I get where the whole chain thing came from. Never knew about the preload.
I’m thinking of my T-178 in the J-10 with the NP 208 TC, that’s where the chain drive came from.
The third gear thing has something to do with the preload on the main shaft. After a few miles they pop out of third.

Having rebuilt a couple of these I never notice any specs on a preload. There is just some end play clearance when installing the 3/4 gears but no preload.

I would have to say I've never traveled in 3rd for more than a couple hundred feet and would not know if it would pop out of third after traveling several miles. But the FSM never mentions any type of preloading in the T-17X.

Maybe I overlooked something here: T-17X manual

Well- somebody else snatched up the whole mess before I could get there, but at least with all the info your little skirmish :D supplied, I kinda know which direction my drivetrain will be going. Thanks for all the info guys.

Bushman

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom