PecosCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
5 speed
Dana 300
44 Axles rear, 30 up front
had a knocking sound from Transmission . T-5 /Dana 300 area. Decided to pull. Took off cover and this is what i found.. what could cause this. All other gears look in fine. Can i just replace the input shaft assembly and be ok?

Input shaft, and while doing it, would recommend the front bearing and seal if not all (bearings and seals...)...

As to what could cause, I am not sure... How did the pilot bushing look? And input shaft bearing, tight?

Otherwise hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

But if all other gears look fine, there's no reason to replace them i would assume...

:chug:

~ JR

New Clutch kit installed. throwout bearing was bad and pilot bushing was laying inside houseing(not sure in it fell out during Transmission . removal tho). is it ok to spray will carb/parts cleaner inside Transmission . to clean it up a bit?

I would do with brake cleaner because it evaps quick, not sure if carb & choke cleaner does as good, think it leaves a residue... Either way would "probably" be ok, but if me i'd use brake cleaner spray...:cool:

Yeah the input shaft was probably "wiggling" If no pilot bushing in... That's most likely the culprit... But like you said, could have fell out during removal of tranny this time too...

When you say throw-out was bad, not sure how a bad one could have caused that? :confused:

so with it out now, if you turn the gears, is everything smoothly operating?
Basically, no wobbling of the shaft holding the rest of the gears, etc?

Hope it will be an easy deal for you man... :chug:

~ JR

throwout bearing was one of the problems. not sure if it was the cause. but seems one thing led to another.

gears seem to turn freely and smoothly.

Is their a trick to getting out input shaft without removing the fifth gear assembly?

You will also have to replace the idler gear under this gear. I can't imagine it is in good shape trying to mesh with this
5876d1309455047-t-5-problem-pics-0629111449.jpg

If you are going to tear into this replace the syncros too. They don't hold up very well in a T-5 . Actually the T-5 is a light duty Transmission and IMO the worst Transmission to go into a CJ. Now's the time to decide if you want to upgrade to a T-176 or better.

I tend to agree with Busa, the medium duty T-176 , or a heavy duty Transmission like a T-18A or T-19.
They make a World class T-5 if you can find one at a good price that is a lot stronger than the stocker.

T5 Gearbox Rebuild Input Shaft Bearing Photo 13

I think that there is a cutout on the gear of that input shaft, line it up, and it should come right out. I didn't find that out until I had it all apart.:mad:

Of course, I could be thinking of the output shaft.:dunno: It's been a couple of months.

cool fellas, thanks for your help.
got it out cleaned up case and gears with solvent. found alot of shavings and a couple broken teeth down at the bottom. now its waitin on parts to arrive. will post on how it all goes back together

on another note, if all else fails..a swap is on the list. what do you all think of the novaks. Transmission sm465 package.

Wish I could help answer that... my wifes just had her T-5 come up ill in 3rd gear. How did you get the top off the Transmission . I have tranny out and bolts out, shifter cap off, but cant get the top plate off the tranny, any tips would be great.
I have also been looking at several sites including you tube for rebuild ideas/help, not mush free help out there that I can find.

Slide the top forward or backward as you lift it. It doesn't come off straight up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom