timing chain

kicknjeep

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 1976 CJ-5 2 seater
Ok so P/S box is finished and was wondering if maybe while i had the radiator
out to flush (also to make room to put P/S box back in) if I should go ahead and put a new timing chain in. Well found a test for stretched chains and was stated that if you turned the engine and had turned more than 5 degrees before the rotor moved then it's stretched enough to change. Holy poop mine turned a hair over ten degrees. Didn't seem like much just grabbing and turning but when i watched the timing marks while turning that's what it turned up. Maybe that's why i have that little miss and or sometime backfire. Sorry so long but hope this helps someone else who may have the same symptoms as mine. Oh and what flavor timing chains do you prefer?

So one day I start my jeep, it fires, then dies. My jeep doesn't usually (i mean never) die after starting.

I start it again, very hard to start, then dies. Then it refused to start.

To make a very long story short, I finally figured out that my timing chain had jumped a tooth (or 2). I was stranded. I had to tear it all apart, and consider myself lucky that it didn't jump farther, I could have bent a valve. So I would say, go ahead and fix it now. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! I bought a double roller timing chain from summit racing for about 35 bucks. I also had to get a gasket set. Here are a couple pics. You can see in the pic that I had a cheap timing set, the gear was plastic! Several teeth broke.

P.S. the bolts you will be dealing with go into the aluminum timing cover. It is very expensive, be careful when working on it. If you have any questions about the job, feel free to ask me.
Dave

Great pictures!

And DON'T forget to put the oil slinger back on when you replace the gear! I can't tell you how many people I have had tell me they forgot it and had to pull the cover again! :)

holy cow Dave you wasn't kidding about the missing teeth. I only have to pull the h-balancer and the cover should come off)all bolts out. Think i'll go over to Summit and see what they have, Oh and the water pump didn't look to good either so may as well go ahead and replace that as well.:rolleyes:
Also forgot to mention when I pulled the oil filter off it had lots of sludge in it.
so guess oil pan will have to come off as well.

CJ sorry read too fast, So is the summit double roller good to go? not bad for $37.00 and some change.

Nothing wrong with the Sunmmit chain and gears... Since your not racing they should last almost forever! :)

Hummmm Your in a good spot to have some fun and get a new cam and intake :D The plastic :dung: was factory.....They used them to cut down on the noise that the steel chain makes?:eek: The steel double roller from summit is a good one I have it on my 360

So would the new cam and intake come with divorce papers :laugh:
I am within the next year going to buy an old 401 and rebuild it to drop into this project, but until then I just want to get and keep the AMC 304 running especially when October is around the corner and I really want too make it to the DIXIE RUN.
:chug:

Ha probably, mine thinks its gonna take 10 years to restore my CJ:laugh:
She just dosent understand :D

Ok oil pan is off (WOW that was fun) and not nearly as much crud in the pan as i expected :banana: so this evening i'll pick up some engine cleaner to clean the pan. Can someone please tell me if they make 1-piece gaskets for the AMC 304 oil pan? Hopefully I will be able to pick up the timing chain, water pump and gaskets this weekend and start putting this thing back together.
Cool message from the son at Nashville Auto Deisel College....He made a 100 on his mid term test..:chug:, seems I tought him well ;)

I have never seen a 1 piece gasket for the AMC oil pan.

When you seal up the pan, just don't over tighten the bolts. Also, I ditch the front and rear seal and use a nice thick bead of RVT instead.

Congrats on the test! He should be proud!!! :)

So only the ones with 6 cyl engines get the one piece? I scream discrimination :D. And CJ if I ditch the front and rear seal it won't leak? ( I know it depends on who is applying). Yes he was nervous about the test but he has had the highest scores the whole term.

Is shouldn't leak as long as you are careful and place a nice healthy bead of RVT in place of the seals...

great job on the test as for the pan make sure no oily stuff and dont torque the bolts down to tight and you'll be good:D

OK CJ my timing chain has been ordered from Summit, Wish I had a discount code :rolleyes:
finally pulled harmonic balancer and double checked the chain and holy :dung: even with an existing double roller chain with the left side tight the right side ( chain ) hits both sides when pulled left to right. on a good note with the mark on TDC both dots on the sprockets are in align with each other.

Last edited:
I would definitely go ahead and change it out now to save you a big headache down the road. I would recommend the steel double roller.

CMH roger that the existing one is double roller so already ordered the one that CJ posted the link for. But I will tell you this.... I am going to get a parts washer sink from Harbor Freight if it's the last thing I do. Does anybody have the one for $99.99. or a similar one?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom