Tranny leak and oil leak

Tranny leak and oil leak

carolinadog

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 Cj5, 258 Striaght 6 with a 3 speed manual tranny. Not sure about anything else.
I have a 78 CJ5 with a 256 striaght 6 and 3 speed manual tranny. I have a tranny leak coming out of the front of the bell housing. I have replaced the input shaft seal and still have the leak. I believe that the tranny is a borg warner. What am I missing?

Also I believe that the engine is from an 80's model CJ5 because it has the plastic valve cover. The oil leak is coming out the top of the valve cover from the vent hole that used to connect to the air filter. If I replace the plastic one with one with baffles in it will that take care of the problem or is that a sign of bigger problems?

Any info will help. Thanks in advance ya'll...:chug:

Does it have a pcv system? "The oil leak is coming out the top of the valve cover from the vent hole that used to connect to the air filter." is it just plugged now?
Pictures would help.

The PCV is still there. THere is a "cone" air filter in the whole that went to the air filter. I will try and post pics this weekend.

what is it that makes you think it is coming from the Transmission ??
The hole that is leaking is responsible for replacing the air the PCV takes out, in other words to leave this open and unfiltered will allow it to suck in whatever filth or mud you happen to be experiencing at the time.:cool:

I have a 78 CJ5 with a 256 striaght 6 and 3 speed manual tranny. I have a tranny leak coming out of the front of the bell housing. I have replaced the input shaft seal and still have the leak. I believe that the tranny is a borg warner. What am I missing?

Also I believe that the engine is from an 80's model CJ5 because it has the plastic valve cover. The oil leak is coming out the top of the valve cover from the vent hole that used to connect to the air filter. If I replace the plastic one with one with baffles in it will that take care of the problem or is that a sign of bigger problems?

Any info will help. Thanks in advance ya'll...:chug:

IO, See his post above he does have a "cone" filter in the valve cover, At least that's the way I read it.
Correct me if I am wrong but the 3 scenarios possible that I see for the leak in the first place would be a faulty pcv system that is not drawing crankcase gases, possible baffle missing or wrong valve cover, worn out engine with excessive blow by into crankcase or valve guides.

I started to answer this when there was just his original post. while I was pondering the effect of this post on the universe, y'all posted. I never got to read your posts.:D
Senility, is it's own reward.:cool:

Thanks for the info guy's. There is two distinct leaks. One from the tranny and one from the valve cover. I have had to fill the tranny twice within a 2 month period and have not had to put any engine oil in. So the valve cover leak is more of an annouance.

I was thinking the same thing that you said Sasquach. I believe that it may be the wrong valve cover. After looking at some new manifolds on line I believe that the engine is right for the year (1978) but it does have a plastic valve cover on it which I understand started in the 80's. I am going to try a new valve cover when I can.

My biggest issue right now is the tranny.

The input shaft seal would have to be my first pick and yours too from the looks.
Have to ponder this one for a while.:cool: We wish there was something that could be fixed with out dropping the tranny again??
Is the bell the only leak area?

Thanks for the info guy's. There is two distinct leaks. One from the tranny and one from the valve cover. I have had to fill the tranny twice within a 2 month period and have not had to put any engine oil in. So the valve cover leak is more of an annouance.

I was thinking the same thing that you said Sasquach. I believe that it may be the wrong valve cover. After looking at some new manifolds on line I believe that the engine is right for the year (1978) but it does have a plastic valve cover on it which I understand started in the 80's. I am going to try a new valve cover when I can.

My biggest issue right now is the tranny.

Yea that is the only leak area. I replaced the input seal a couple of weeks ago and it is still leaking. It was suggested to me that there front bearing (pilot bearing) might be bad cuasing some play in the input shaft. There is a little play at the rear of the tranny where it hooks to the drive shaft.

does the tranny have alot of bearing noise? and does the input shaft move around excessively? if so the bearings are bad as well as the input bearing, if thats the case then putting a seal in it will only help for a little while, until it wallows out the seal again causing it to leak. just a suggestion.

I believe that I am hearing some bearing noise but not sure the thing has so many other creaks and sqeaks it is hard to tell...lol. As far as shaft movement I wasn't smart enough to check that out when we had the tranny pulled...lol. Are the bearings hard to replace or would I be better off to try and find a rebuilt tranny. If so where would I find one?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom