Tranny & trans. Case rebuild

Tranny & trans. Case rebuild

Tonyrod123

Jeeper
Thanks
I just removed the fiberglass tub off of my 70 CJ5 . Would now be the time to consider a tranny and Transfer Case rebuild. I bought the Jeep about a month ago and was only able to start the engine (Dauntless Buick 225 V6 v6) since it needs a clutch. The Transmission . Case is leaking from the front seal slightly.
Since removal is relatively easy now with the tub off, if I decide on a rebuild, what can I expect to pay for a complete rebuild? Tranny is a 3 speed T-86 . And the Transfer Case Is a Dana 18.

Well I guess the answer will depend on you doing the work... I have seen the tranny and Transfer Case kits in the $200 range each and usually around $1000 to do an engine at the house this is completly shooting from the hip here :chug:

Both the T-86 & the Spicer 18 are not bad to rebuild; it is the parts that will as much as double the price depending upon what needs to be replaced. I would say $400 to $800 for the T-86 depending upon shop and parts needed. On the Spicer 18 the intermediate gear shaft and needle bearings tend to wear so as long as the case is apart from the tranny it might be good to replace that too. I think Novak or Advanced Adaptors make an upgrade kit. Check this out:

http://advanceadapters.com/product/2520/716006.html

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/dana_18_parts.htm

Now is as good a time as any to learn how to do it yourself.

I have a dana T-18 in peices on my work bench waiting for the rebuild kit to show up. It is pretty simple to work on and you can get away without any special tools if you are creative enough, large sockets for seal drivers and such. The rebuild kit runs from $100-$AMC 150 depending on were you get it and it comes in a minor and major parts kit, Herm the Overdrive guy rebuilds them for $400 If I remember right(maybe less).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom