transmission swap?

transmission swap?

Mikedaskter

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
67 CJ5, 99 F-150.
i got a 67 CJ5 , 225 buick Dauntless Buick 225 V6 v6, right now i got a borg warner T-86 Transmission and a dana 18 Transfer Case . The throw out bearing has seen better days so i gotta replace that, and i was wondering seein im pulling the Transmission anyway is their a 4 spd that bolts up to the engine and Transfer Case without a conversion. (the 3 spd sucks on the highway)
thanks guys :chug:

I'm assuming you have a factory V-6 equipped CJ with a Dana 18 Transfer Case as they were available from 66-71...
Remember, top gear 1:1 is 1:1 regardless of 3 or 4 speeds, but an OD would drop the final ratio to approximately .75 (or by 25%).
There were some 225 CJ's that had the 4 speed T-98 as an option but they were fairly rare, so more difficult to find... You should have the bellhousing with a separate adapter for the tranny if I'm not mistaken. The later models, such as my '71, had the adapter molded in to the bellhousing. The four speeds are awesome due to the granny gear, but driveshaft and crossmember mods would still need to be performed. Most people drive their granny low trannys like a 3 speed on the street. Just a suggestion, but if highway RPM's are the main concern, try looking for a Warn OD, or perhaps a Saturn OD from Advance Adapters. FWIW, I've been driving my T-14 3 speed CJ with a Warn OD for MANY years, and with 4.88's and 33" tires I'm pulling down 17 MPG.

so you can install an over drive onto an existing 3 spd? I work on the collision side of the business so i know a bit about transmissions, but never heard of that, how does that work?
thanks

Cool - didn't know they (AA) still made OD units! :)
Yup, they bought the rights from Warn about '91... Their facility is bad "heiney"!!

so you can install an over drive onto an existing 3 spd? I work on the collision side of the business so i know a bit about transmissions, but never heard of that, how does that work?
thanks
Mike,
Herm The Overdrive Guy has an unofficial history of them and he's got a great rep if you're interested!

yea definately interested i just spent about an hr looking at his site, researching a bit into it. def sounds alot better then tinkering with a new Transmission . only question i got left is that it looks like he has a couple diff ones, ie saturn o/d, vs aa mfg, warn o/d, etc. is there a certain one that is the best or are they all good and ruffly the same thing?
Thanks a million btw im drinking a beer to your name now!

OK so we now have the Saturn Overdrive figured out, but we still have the T-86 to deal with.
The T-86 came in the 66 and 67 till around mid year behind the v6 at that time it was recognized that the T-86 was not that good of a Transmission and would give up the ghost if pushed hard, Jeep then went with the T-86 till mid year 67 then switched to the T-14 , a much better tranny they kept in the line till even after they dropped the v6.
I would suggeest first thing you do is get a Saturn, or warn, Overdrive . Saturn bought the warn patents and produces it now. Installing it is not that hard and while doing it go ahead and rebuild that T-18 , Yiu will be nto the interior so you mise as well do it all.
Next I would look for a new tranny. Problem with finding a T-14 is the outputshaft is different from the T-86 , however if you would go to Novak adapters The Jeep T86 Transmission - Novak Conversions you can find a lot of info on trannys and adapting them to fit.
Herm the Overdrive guy, Herm The Overdrive Guy can set you up with a lot of info and parts and service also

Hey Chris do you have any pictures posted of your Jeep anywhere? I want to see it.

for the time being im gonna stay with the T-86 , (it and the T-18 were rebuilt in 04 by p.o.) at the moment money is a bit tight so im already looking at about 1500 in parts (clutch/ throwout bearing are already messed up after 6 yrs) but i plan on completely re restoring it in the next 2 to 3 yrs and taking the body off the frame etc so i will probably look to switch it out then.
thanks!

only question i got left is that it looks like he has a couple diff ones, ie saturn o/d, vs aa mfg, warn o/d, etc. is there a certain one that is the best or are they all good and ruffly the same thing?
Mike,
I can't speak for anything besides the Warn from personal experience, but the Saturn has seen much use and some improvements built in by AA after they aquired the OD right from Warn. I believe either one would be a good choice... as they can handle more power than your tranny can. In the future if you swap your tranny, there's no problem because the OD attaches to the PTO output of the Transfer Case . Trust me, it's one of the best things you can do to a street driven Early CJ5 !:cool:

Hey Chris do you have any pictures posted of your Jeep anywhere? I want to see it.
Just posted a few in the gallery...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom