Transplanting Grand Waggy Drivetrain into CJ7

Transplanting Grand Waggy Drivetrain into CJ7
My only concern with the longer pitman arm is there might be a little interfernce with the linkage at certain points. That would be the only reason I can see for moving it forward.

That's why people like M.O.R.E. make the steering box mount that moves the box 1" forward.

Thanks old dog.. Will keep that in mind if the pitman arm becomes and issue. But as far a moving the axle forward as the original poster asked I don't see any need for it, and I'm pretty sure it will cause more I an interference issue with the tussle tube and linkage.. Jeepin jrod you may want to look into the more relocation bracket since you diff will be on the same side as the pitman arm and may create more of an obstacle. Or you can look into adding the smaller end onto the waggy steering linkage and use the stock shorter CJ pitman arm. Did you do a shackle reversal also when you made your mounts?

Hey Jimbos, thanks for the feedback. I did not do a shackle reversal. Should I have? What is the benefit? I got sidetracked a bit, so I'm a couple weeks behind and assembly/mock up. I do have all the stering linkage form both the Waggy and CJ, so hopefully can figure it out.

Unless its a hard mud type rig I would stay away from shackle reversal. With the shackles in front your axles moves up and away from the T/C when climbing over an obstacle. With it reversed it moves back and up. The forward and up motion helps climb over things where the reversal may actually dig it under. Then it also rotate the pinion down since the front mounts is now shorter and rear is longer. To me it messes up a decent geometry system that jeep had designed. The system does have flaws like the 2" front springs but the idea behind it is good.

Oh your drive shaft is designed to stretch when the springs compress with the stock set up not compress so new drive shaft may be in order. Also, if your running larger tires the back and up movement can cause your tires to be pushed into your front fenders.

But these few little things are my .02. I'm sure other will step up and give you some great reasons for it.

I think i may have a really good solution to the steering linkage Im having and you should be having also. If it works there will be no need to use the Longer j-10/waggy arm to make the end fit and it should also make it so a drop pitman arm is not needed. As soon as I get the parts back Ill post up pics and let you know what the secret is.

For the steering I used the J-10 Link that goes from the box to the tie rod and a passenger side tie rod end from a WJ. I had the J-10 link cut down and turned to fit just inside the tube of the tie rod.

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

It fits and turn with no binding and I used the stock flat CJ end.

Good call on the AMC rear FSJ axle. All of the FSJ versions were centered. It has enough differences from the CJ version as mentioned ( better tubes and 1-piece axles) that internally it was known as the Model 23. But it had no connection to Dana at all. The confusion comes from the abundance of Dana axles jeep used and the Dana Model 20, which is a Transfer Case not an axle. The Dana Model 20 axle or AMC/Dana Model 20 axle is a confusion that has existed for a long time but has no validity.

Thanks for the info Jimbos76, like I had mentioned I'm behind and haven't been able to get back to it. I had some home remodeling that had to trump the Jeep project for a couple weeks. Should hopefull get back to the Jeep next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info Jimbos76, like I had mentioned I'm behind and haven't been able to get back to it. I had some home remodeling that had to trump the Jeep project for a couple weeks. Should hopefull get back to the Jeep next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

As long as you get back to it. My current project was supposed to be a 1 yr project. This april puts me at 2 years. Im was planning on sending it back to its owner tomorrow but I may have thrown a brake fluid covered rag on the hood and now it needs some new paint. So Im hoping to drive it 30 miles to his house next friday. Im confident in its ability but will still have a buddy pull the car trailer behind me just in case!

As long as you get back to it. My current project was supposed to be a 1 yr project. This april puts me at 2 years. Im was planning on sending it back to its owner tomorrow but I may have thrown a brake fluid covered rag on the hood and now it needs some new paint. So Im hoping to drive it 30 miles to his house next friday. Im confident in its ability but will still have a buddy pull the car trailer behind me just in case!

I pulled my CJ apart in 2004. It's still not back together. :(

I pulled my CJ apart in 2004. It's still not back together. :(

Normally I seen to buy em whole and sell the in parts after a year and getting bored of them. This one was bought in peices and I've stuck with it. M next one is scattered all over my yard I peices so hopefully it will go together like this one.

Well I waited 13 years to start the project. I had it running, did some minor work here and there for the first 6 years. The last 7 years it has spent time in my parent's driveway, a buddy's driveway and my driveway (the last 5) not running. Started pulling it apart a couple months ago, that part was a hell of alot faster than the assembly, ha. I had figured about a year for the majority of the build, however can you ever really finish a project? There is always something more you want to do, or redo or change.

I still haven't gotten back to it, been working 12 & 14 hour days at work, can't even find the time to finish the work on the house so I can get back to the CJ. I'm determined though, it's personal now, lol.

Good luck w/ the return trip

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom