Uh oh... once again...

Uh oh... once again...

gumbycj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 304 v8, stock driveline
The jeep is throwing out problems.. im getting a "rattling" sound from my Transmission ... basically a peice of metal is floating around in there and hitting my gears... and well i already know its a syncro... but my question is *seeing as how im new to jeeps* whats the best way to remove the Transmission and open it up so i can fix my pesky lil problem... and check to make sure thats the only thing wrong?

:censored: happens over and over again.. but hey at least its cheap to fix!.....for the most part

normally I would say drain the oil and let the metal shavings drain out but you make it sound like it's a piece of metal that broke off inside your Transmission .
Do you know what Transmission you have? 3 speed? 4 speed? Drain your oil. On the side of the tranny there should be an PTO access plate. Remove that to see what the metal piece is and where it came from.
Synco? How's it shift?

normally I would say drain the oil and let the metal shavings drain out but you make it sound like it's a piece of metal that broke off inside your Transmission .
Do you know what Transmission you have? 3 speed? 4 speed? Drain your oil. On the side of the tranny there should be an PTO access plate. Remove that to see what the metal piece is and where it came from.
Synco? How's it shift?

well i know there are metal shavings... but it is a nice hunk of metal tumbling around in there.. its the T-150 3 speed. yea one of the syncros.. i think to reverse.. cause it shifts a lil :censored:ty 1-3. but its a pain sometimes to get in reverse.. other than the reverse problem its shifts how a 79 jeep would i guess.. lol i dont think this thing has been serviced in a few years.

I dont think your reverse has a syncro. They dont need it because you are not moving when you shift into reverse. The Transmission should be a top loader so you can take off your access cover on the floor and then remove the cover and shift off the tranny. Drain your oil and then use a magnet and some good lighting to find your part.

If there's no metal in there...

A rattling shifter can be a u-joint getting ready to go...

Also hard to get in reverse could be clutch related?

Maybe your throwout bearing too?

I know you said you "know" it's a syncro, I'm just getting you some just in case options...

Kane's right. Pull floor pan cut out, and take top of tranny cover off to hopefully get a magnet to find it...

Good Luck! :chug:

If there's no metal in there...

A rattling shifter can be a u-joint getting ready to go...

Also hard to get in reverse could be clutch related?

Maybe your throwout bearing too?

I know you said you "know" it's a syncro, I'm just getting you some just in case options...

Kane's right. Pull floor pan cut out, and take top of tranny cover off to hopefully get a magnet to find it...

Good Luck! :chug:

thanks! i will have to pull it apart this weekend and look. i know there is something in there because its not a constant noise.. every once in a while it catches on my gears and pops around. but if there is no metal in there then i will take a look at the options you have given me. hopefully its just a syncro lol

:D

oh and to the reverse not wanting to go smoothly.. its not clutch.. it releases and grabs fine and shifting 1-3 is pretty smooth. but its like the gears from 1-R just dont mesh up all the time.. but knowing me.. im just going to get a new Transmission if this one looks a little torn up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom