Understanding My Two-Stick T-Case. . . .???

Understanding My Two-Stick T-Case. . . .???

Vvajk

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 4.2L inline six, T-5 Tranny, Dana 300 2 stick T-case, AMC 20 rear axle, limited slip diffs.
I just bought back my old 84 CJ7 after 12 years and it's had a lot of changes made to it over the years. I sold it stock. Anyway, now it has a two-stick Transfer Case and I'm clueless on this upgrade and I'm hoping someone can fill me in. I understand that I can somehow go to front wheel drive now, but stay in two wheel drive? Does anyone know how I configure the two sticks to accomplish this? There's a sticker on the dash showing which way to shift for "high" "low" etc. There's a shifter on the left and one on the right. I'll include a couple pictures of the set up. Any light any of you could shed on this would be much appreciated.
P1020948.jpg

P1020947.jpg

Just like the sticker shows:
LOW - 4LOW
HIGH - 4LOW
LOW - 4HIGH
HIGH - 4HIGH
LOW - 2WD
HIGH - 2WD

Not familiar with a front wheel only, might be some trick with neutral.
Someone who's ran a twin stick in the last 20 years should spool up soon, LOL.

I'm pretty sure it's a Dana 300 . I went to the Currie Enterprises website and it looks like they only make their twin stick shifter for the Dana 300 .

Here's the description from the website:
For 1980-1986 Jeep CJ's and YJ's with Dana 300 transfer cases. The Currie shifter replaces stock single shift lever with two levers which allows you to independently shift front and rear axles and low and high ranges. The ultimate control for adverse off road conditions. Made for Jeeps and some Scouts equipped with Dana 300 transfer cases.

If it's a 300 than it's pretty much as they said.
If you have your front hubs locked you can leave the right stick in the middle or Netural and run in rear wheel drive, than when needed just engage the right stick and your in 4 wheel drive. If you want front wheel drive just disengage the left stick.
forward (toward the front of the jeep) is low range, the middle is N., and to the rear is high.
The stick closest to you is the rear wheels, and the stick on the pass. side is the front.
In normal everyday driving the rear would be engaged and the front would be in the middle (N).
Hope all this rambling helps.

I as well have a twin stick Dana 300 , from what i understand you can NOT shift independent front and rear without the interlink pill removed. But if I am not mistaken, The left stick is for the rear axle, and the right for the front. With high range away from the engine, neutral in the middle and low range towards the engine.

I as well have a twin stick Dana 300 , from what i understand you can NOT shift independent front and rear without the interlink pill removed.

I did NOT remove my "pill" and it will go into front wheel drive. Maybe it's just woreout :dunno:.

That does help out quite a bit. Anyone want to enlighten me on different off-road scenarios where a dual stick Transfer Case comes in handy over just standard 4X4?

There's 2 things I can think of,
1 is whats called a front dig, where you use the front to pull you around a corner, as in to turn tighter.
the other I just did over the weekend. I was going up slippery hill and couldn't go any farther, when I tryed to back down the jeep was sliding sideways into a tree in 4x4. I disengaged the rear and used the front to pull the front away from the tree.:)

That does help out quite a bit. Anyone want to enlighten me on different off-road scenarios where a dual stick Transfer Case comes in handy over just standard 4X4?

broken rear axle\driveshaft - front wheel drive high to get home
sharp turn - front wheel dig, with rear brakes on
steep hill where pulling something, 4x4 is not needed - 2wd low

granted you could do this in 4x4 (not the front dig). but it makes turning alot easier and sharper

these are sometimes i have seen it used....

Old Dog, I am going to have to wait to see what you post so I dont keep copying you. LOL! I guess "Great Minds think alike!" or people who own jeep have these problems and learn from our mistakes or misfortunes...

being able to drive in 2 low, then when you get to a difficult portion of the trail, slide into 4 lo, makes it a bit easier for turning and such, not just the front wheel drive only

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I guess I'm just going to have to play around with it in it's different configurations until I get used to it. I'm kinda nervous about it though. Knowing me I'll end up putting the Jeep in like left front wheel drive only or something and won't be able to figure out how to get it back to normal! :eek:

I've got a Twin Stick on my Scout Dana 300 behind my T-18 .

1 I like it for backing up my M100 1/4 ton Jeep trailer put the left shifter (rear)in Low and it's great. Works great when pulling on to a trail
and you have people behind you.
2 If you have a locker in the front end you can unlock it to make a better turn but still be in low range in the rear.

I can not seem to get mine to shift into front 2wd, I thought it might be the interlock? I will try it again...

I've never tried going straight to front wheel drive, but if I start with both axles engaged I can disengage the rear leaving only the front engaged, at least in low, I never tried it in high.
One thing nobody said, Never have one axle in low and the other in high or BAD things WILL happen.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom