JCsCJ

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7 Laredo
'08 Ford F250
'08 Ducati 848
I have been reading the axle tubes on the AMC20 is one of the weak points, but can be fixed by welding the tubes to the pumpkin. From what I can find, I only need to weld three 1" stiches. Has anyone done this or know anything about it. Some of my main questions are:
1) How thick are the tubes.
2) I have a little wire welder thats good up to 3/16" thick metal, Will this be big enough
3)Will I have to pre-heat the area that im welding.

Just for info I will be installing 1 piece axles,4.10 gears,lockers and a TeraLow for the Dana 300 . The jeep will be off road mostly but nothing to extream. Thats why im beefing up the 20 and not goin to the 44
Any info will be appreciated:chug:

IMHO If your only going to be doing mild off roading there's probably no need to weld it. I never welded mine and it's still holding together. Just my 2 cents.

If your really worried about it, you should truss it also, as the tubes bend
more offten than spin.

I spun mine, its a pain spinning it back, didn't bend tube. But took two guysa torch and some long breaker bars on big pipe wrenches to spin it back. I then welded:D. No preheat, but also weld in the the holes on the back or top as well. Havne't had a problem since but will be adding my own custom truss here in the the next week or two since I am building an anti wrap ladder bar.

Spring wrap was my other problem, wrapped one and broke a yoke and some u joints.

I go a little hard though:chug:

I spun mine, its a pain spinning it back, didn't bend tube. But took two guysa torch and some long breaker bars on big pipe wrenches to spin it back. I then welded:D. No preheat, but also weld in the the holes on the back or top as well. Havne't had a problem since but will be adding my own custom truss here in the the next week or two since I am building an anti wrap ladder bar.

Spring wrap was my other problem, wrapped one and broke a yoke and some u joints.

I go a little hard though:chug:
Thanks for the input. I havent really got to take mine offroading much at all, so I dont know if axle wrap is a issue yet. Once I get the new gears and 1piece axles installed I will see if it becomes a problem and tackle it then.:dunno:

I custom "trussed" my Model 20, about 15 years ago ( I was bored one day), I will take a pic when I get time and post it.

If your really worried about it, you should truss it also, as the tubes bend
more offten than spin.

Ok, I have spent most of my night at work learning about what a truss is and trying to decide if I really needed one. Im not sure I do or dont. I dont think I will be wheeling hard enough to bend the tubes, but not certain I wont be. This also could fall under that "better safe than sorry" category. Once again my jeep has me scratching my head tryin to find my best route. :wtf:

Okay, had a minute, here some pics...

Attachments

• 03-06-2011 070.jpg
    03-06-2011 070.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 03-06-2011 071.jpg
    03-06-2011 071.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 03-06-2011 072.jpg
    03-06-2011 072.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 588
Nice truss.

Silly question, why have the truss on the bottom side of the axle? :confused:

Okay, had a minute, here some pics...

Thanks for the pics. Another question? If I do decide to go with a truss does it need to go all the way to the perches or will the one pictured below be sufficient? Also looks like yours is welded to the pumpkin? In other forums ive read not to weld it?:confused:

Attachments

• amc20 truss.jpg
    amc20 truss.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,511
Nice truss.

Silly question, why have the truss on the bottom side of the axle? :confused:

Good question, not silly, I have no idea, I bought that jeep with a narrow trac Dana 20 with quadra-trac (its an 83) It had the original wide trac front, and the gear ratios didnt match either. I was cluster. Anyhow, I robbed that axle of a rust bomb, I cleaned it up to paint it, and was looking at and just started welding.

Its made out of plate, that was cut, eyeballed and welded. I had no plan, it was before the internet, it was spontaneous with no thought. At the time I had 12 cjs laying around for parts, I figured if I screwed it up, Id just grab another axle.

Ive got a set of scout 44s sitting for that Cj, and a set of OEs used, not sure whats going in there. If I keep using it as a street truck, I will probably just leave it alone. Its got several thousand miles on that axle with a 400hp 71 360, I beat the snot out of it doing roasty burn outs..:)

I should also mention, that if you read you should not weld onto the pumpkin, that is probably good info, as far as welding anything that is cast (I'm not a welder, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, no really, I did) is usually not a good idea. Its worked out for me, but if that axle was really "worked" it might be a totally different story. Like I said, I just started welding...

I should also mention, that if you read you should not weld onto the pumpkin, that is probably good info, as far as welding anything that is cast (I'm not a welder, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, no really, I did) is usually not a good idea. Its worked out for me, but if that axle was really "worked" it might be a totally different story. Like I said, I just started welding...

Alright....thanks again Busted:chug:

Drive it till you break it. Go on some runs with local club or trails. If you ride a bike you prob will be trying to roll with the big dogs for the rush. I see you going on a run and trying some tough obstacles.

Tubes bend or spin if you are in compromised rock positions. I think you will break axle first or break u joints from torque of that 350.

You can usually get home on a broken two or one piece since these are not c-clip type axles. On the one piece they tend to strip at the hub if you hit it hard, no biggie. Learn as you go, the build can be as fun as the runs. :chug:

The Ford 8.78 is a very popular swap for a number of applications. Welding the tubes is a very common practice on these axles.

A did a quick search "welding the Ford 8.8" and came up with a number of good hits.

You might want to review these links for advice.

I used a high nickel rod and made short stitch welds until the tubes were completely welded to the center. No problems and plenty of security.

The problem with the tubes is two fold. Spinning in the center and bending. A truss will help with both.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom