what kind of transfer case, and transmisson?

what kind of transfer case, and transmisson?
Ok here is the picture, I had to restart my computer to get it to work.

What do you mean by two piece? How hard/exspensive is it to put in lockers for the rear?

Dana 44s never came with 2 piece axles...Thats a Model 20 rear axle your thinking of...

the easy way to tell is here...
Axle Identification Chart

Dana 44s never came with 2 piece axles...
Not exactly... -->> http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/dana44-rear-cj-willys.htm

Your CJ originally came with a D27 or a D25 for the front axle - the D30 is a swap in... And a D44 flanged axle diff for the rear.

The D44 in your picture is a center pumpkin, introduced in 1972 because Jeep stated to use the D20 transfer case with a center output shaft. This D44 has flanged axles.

attachment.php

D44's with an offset pumpkin were introduced in 1948? (not exactly sure), the pumpkin was offset because these Jeeps had a D18 transfer case (side output shaft). All offset pumpkin D44 DO have flanged axles except for the rare mid 1970 ~ 1971 flanged axle models.

attachment.php

All D44's and D30's have gear ratios from 2.87-3.73 then 3.92-5.89 - depending on the ratio there is a carrier change. 3.73 is a stock gear for a CJ (was my original gear ratio on my 5). It's a good highway / offroad gear.

My advice??? Don't worry about swapping gear ratios and other stuff... You new to this CJ, fix the few problems you have, drive the hell out of it for a while then you'll have some seat time to accurately decide on what (if) you want to change anything... Your starting to fall into the new Jeep trap where an owner feels there has to be something better...

Have fun for a while, then see what you think... :)

Oh yea, you D44 and D30 have 11" drum brake - very good drums as they are huge and and do a pretty good job of stopping the CJ as long as they are maintained.

Several variations of the Dana 44 have been used as the rear axle in Jeeps, all of them use a 8.5" ring and pinion. The Dana 44s with the two piece shafts are 19 spline or 27 spline and the versions wih the once piece shafts are 30 spline.
The R&P ratio ranges supported by the carriers are 2.87-3.73 and 3.92-5.89. Not all ratios are available for all the variations of the Dana 44.

OK well that is a good bit to digest. Thank you very much. so I will be sticking to the 373s for a while, the #1 reason to know what axles I have is that as you can see in the pic the cover is off, it was leaking badly, and I would like to put the real gasket on it, not just the permatex.
I also figure that since allot of yall have the specs of your jeeps listed, I feel kinda dumb when people, not just here, ask what do you have in it, and I reply four wheels, a Chevy 350, four speed, and a lead foot, what else do you want to know?
OK time to fix the stuff that has to be fixed, like my roof that has just lost some shingles:mad:
Thanks again, Chuck

Cj just so I am clear on this, from what I have read, and well read from yall, I seem to have a pretty good drive train pushing my chubby self around the roads, and local mud puddles yes?

I have once again learned something new on this site...:) :notworthy:

And that Chebby 350 is a great engine for certain types of wheeling, like in the mud and farting around on the trails!

I measured the spring perches, I got 28" to the center of the perches on each one. I read the tag on the transfer case and it is 300 596 95, so it is a dana 300, what do the rest of the numbers mean? The spring shackles in the front are about 44 and the rears are 45, but the rear is sagging. I measured from the shackle bolts on the springs, was that the right place to measure at?

If i'm not mistaken you have a Dana 20 t-case not a 300.

Dana 300:
dana_300_transfer_case.jpg

Dana 20:
dana_20_transfer_case.jpg Notice the bump on the right side of the t-case.

Same as seen here:
455d1242182416t-what-kind-transfer-case-transmisson-imgp0849.jpg

Markings on the dana 20 can vary , but most start with a C-18-15-24...
My guess on the trans would be a TH400, 1967 - 1979

the numbers on the transfer case start with 3oo, then some other numbers after that, i punched them into the google looker-upper and it came back with dana 300. I will go look again and see if there are any other numbers on it though. On the transmision i looked up the numbers and it came back as a muncie, either a m20 or m21, I believe it is to old to be a m22.
I had mentioned earlier about a weird vibration/grinding feeling, well
I drained(it was pretty empty) my front diff, and cleaned, as well as painted my pumpkin cover pumpkin orange(I did not have any black which I figured out after I hade cleaned it all up and I had the pupkin orange sitting there so I figured it was ment to be, I think I will paint a face on it and make it a jackolantern, got to have fun with it) then filled it up, and I had to add about 7-10 pumps into the transfer case. Well the viblation seems to have gone. What should I use to fill the transmission, I thought about just draining it and looking to see if it is oil or atf, but I figured I would get yalls opinions first.
Ok fingers getting sore.
Chuck

I use 75-90 in my transmission BW T-19. An old muncie will use gear oil not ATF thats a later model phenomenon. I also know guy's that swear by using 50wt.valvoline racing oil in manual transmissions.

I found this while searching around it is from a chevelle forum, well read it and tell me what you all think.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132531
Longhorn, thank you, that sounds good, have you ever heard of mixing marvel mystry oil additive to the transmission? I found that but I did not mark it so I cannot link it, it said that it prevent corrosion, and other stuff like that.
Descisions??????

Love the stuff, but never tried it in a tranny. Works great to squirt in the sparkplug holes of old motors before trying to break them loose. Also a great fuel additive for both gas & diesel engines. Even added to motor oil.

About the Chevelle article, I'd heard that before about high sulphur gearoil being slightly corrosive. I never had a problem personally not that I disagree.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks