what kind of transfer case, and transmisson?

what kind of transfer case, and transmisson?
high sulphur content is hell on brass, synchros, etc.

Ok so are there low sulfer gear oils to choose from? I figure the cost of the right lube will save money in the long term, and I can change fluids allot faster than I can rebuilt a transmission, someone mentioned a purple magic stuff, any thoughts?
Chuck

purple magic is a cleaner, LOL, royal purple is a synthetic and IMO a waste of money
on a jeep, plus it'll expose leaks, and I'm told is corrosive also.
I'd just pick up a good quality oil recommended for the application.
Mobile 1 always gets good reviews from testers.

Mobile 1 is my favorite lube(for automotive use). So I will be taking that up then, it is settled. I used it in my 92 Chevy cavalier and after 250k miles the motor was still strong the rear struts colapsed and that was the end of her. My buddy took the motor for his and he is still driving her over 18 months later. Have any of you used mobile 1 marine in your diffs? we have used it in other 4wd when we would go mud bogging, it is supposed to help get the water out, never been let down by it, and I had not really thought about it till now as it has been a long time since I have been bogging.
So in conclusion: mobile 1 75w90 gear lube for the tranny, tf case and diffs, and mobile 15w 40 for the motor.
I :notworthy: before all your wisdom

I have a friend who builds motors, (no shameless plug) but he took a motor
and ran about 20 brands of oil for a set time and condition on an engine dyno.
He ran each oil in the motor tore it down rebuild it with new parts replacing the worn ones, ran another oil, rebuild, etc. etc.

Mobile 1 was in the top 3, he was checking for wear, mileage, temps, etc. etc.
This was done to squeeze the most from the motor with minimal waste.
Essentially a test to see what oil was best.

Based on his info I changed my oil, as did my dad and brother. I don't run mobile 1, and wont tell you what I run, but my dad and brother run moble 1. I wont say what I use as I'm not looking to start an oil discussion. But most will agree that mobile 1 is good stuffs.

As for the marine version, never tested it, but I'll ask my friend to check it out next time he's bored, LOL.

The top 3 was Brad Penn racing oil, Amsoil, Mobile 1. No particular order.

Last edited:
1) ~~ran about 20 brands of oil for a set time and condition on an engine dyno.~~

2) ~~Based on his info I changed my oil~~

3) ~~wont tell you what I run~~

4) ~~I'm not looking to start an oil discussion. But most will agree that mobile 1 is good stuffs.~~

1) Sounds like a great test and I would LOVE to read / hear his results...

2) To what and what info?

3) Why not? I would like to know what you run.

4) This is a discussion forum... If your worried about a clash or something starting, I watch (in real time) this site very closely... I would welcome a discussion on this - in fact I'll even start a thread! I want to hear this information. As for "mobile 1 is good stuffs" - that is probably agreed upon by most here... :)

I'll even start out by saying, what you run is not nearly as important as how you maintain what you run.

Now - here is a new thread so we don't hijack this one... http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/oils-lubricants-fluids-what-do-you-run-why-1302/

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom