You guys are going to have to deal with me off and on all day long

You guys are going to have to deal with me off and on all day long

CJim7

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.
Trying to get my engine back together, but the weather is a bit chilly today...and my shop has no heat 'cept for the little propane heater Im using. Im finally down to the small tedious stuff...bolting down the timing cover and reassembling brackets and installing drive pulleys, oil pickup tube, seals, oilpan, and doing the valleypan and intake manifold (I always say a small prayer here)..and then exhaust manifolds.

After that, it's game time. Stab the tranny and start breaking knuckles trying to get it all bolted in.

sounds like a bunch of fun :chug:

i like motor assembly more than anything else, you lucky dog. i almost wanna blow my motor up so i can build it again.

Lol. I'll feel better about this whole thing after I have about 1000 running miles on the engine.

makes you nervous don't it, i got about 10k on mine now.

Yeah it does. Especially given the circumstances that lead to the rebuild. :(

At this point however, I will just be really happy if it doesn't leak oil all over the place :D

Rear main should be able to handle 100 easy. If the rear is leaking it usually due to a grove in the crank end or a sloppy bearing allowing oil to pass by... :(

I say its the rear main could be the valve cover (its a pos) I haven't look too hard for the leak its been too cold.

It could even be the oil pan seal just below the rear main.

How about a couple of pictures ??

Ahh, unfortunately I didnt take any. Probably could have done a really good writeup on engine assembly with some pictures but my main concern was just getting it all back together.

This is the third time I've built an engine "of interest" and didnt document anything :(

Well the dang rear main is already leaking on mine I think its the excessive oil pressure, stock is only 13 psi warm idle, mine is way past that

The front and rear seals are usu 2 piece. Mine leaked because I failed to offset the seal seams from the line or seam where the cap bolts on. The rear seal leaked the day I first fired it up. Not alot but it is weeping :bang:

Now I'm weeping. Grrrrr....

Hope you didn't do the same!! Ed

Small update...
After slicing my hand up severely on the valley pan while trying to line it up, and burning my other hand to a crisp during a minor mishap with the propane heater, I managed to get the intake bolted down and exhaust manifolds on. Balancer is torqued down, and I removed the block from the engine stand and got the flywheel and clutch assembly bolted back up. Ready to go back in the Jeep now.

This was a bad day. Before I even got a chance to get home to work on the Jeep, I managed to get 80% Nitric acid all over myself at work. It was only on for a second before I got to the emergency showers, but it managed to take a good layer of skin off my arm and my groin area (inner thighs, legs...barely missed the real important stuff).

And yet, I suffered through the pain to endure even more getting the motor back together.

I probably should have started this in the "project" forum....but it's not really a build, rather a refurbishment of an existing part.

I also picked up 2 forklift tanks for my propane conversion...$50 each.

'Nuther update...
Got the engine in and bolted up to the bellhousing, engine mounts bolted down. Im now 3 for 3 stabbing a tranny by myself without a leveler. :D

love hurts buddy, you made progress though. yeah i worked in a batt shop for a while and got sulfuric acid in my eyes from burning connectors on a charged forklift batt, hydrogen gas, kaboom, i feel your pain.

Lol...true that :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom