Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
Commuted to work in the CJ for the first time. Casual dress day so it seemed like a good idea. It's about 20 miles to the office and I wanted mostly surface streets with a little freeway just to see how it handles it. Got about half way and the CJ started sputtering, lack of fuel from the sound and feel of it so I pulled off the road to check it out. Seemed fine at idle but rough under a load so I headed back home. Got about 1 mile down the road and it started to die, no throttle response. Got off the road again successfully, coasting this time. Pulled the air cleaner and worked the throttle and it seemed to be getting fuel. Check a few other things, you know like all the idiots you see wiggling wires and the like. Thought I would give it another try to make it back home. Got almost all the way back home, and it was running like a top.

I started thinking what else do I have to do today and why not give it a try so I turned around again and made it all the way to work without a hiccup. Even about 4 miles on the freeway.

We will see how the ride home goes.

u6aze4a4.jpg

5uzy3a2u.jpg

Troy Cantrell
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15075

You may want to check your fuel line by the gas tank. Mine was doing the same thing mostly under full throttle. The PO had installed the tank and pinched the rubber fuel line between the frame and the tank. I found it after chasing a bunch of demons, new fuel pump, filter, adjusted carb 20+ times. When we took the tub off during my restoration. Runs great now! Just a thought, it could be something as simple as that. Good Luck your jeep looks great!

You know when something goes together too easy you start thinking what you forgot? Well I got it all together and the linkage all connected and found the spring (return spring) that goes under the accelerator pump plunger in the parts bin. Damn, it. Had to pull the top back off.

Got it back together again and fired up, it will need some adjusent but it got late and I don't want to be "That" neighbor.

This is before the rebuild but you can see the spring.

uqu9ynas.jpg

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Troy clean out your PM box............no room for a reply

So took the CJ to work again and it was flawless ! Since the last trip I rebuilt that dirty carb, still needs a proper adjustment but I need to find a tachometer do use the service manual methods. I had it a bit lean, it would starve for gas under a load. Not like the accelerator pump but just not getting enough gas. Adjusted the mix and that seemed to solve it but still want to get is perfect.

While it was down I ended up redoing the front axel. Bearings, inner and outer, kingpin bearings, seals, breaks, cleaned and serviced the closed knuckles and disassembled the locking hubs and cleaned and re-lubed them.

All and all feel pretty good about how that all went.

I still want to replace the two tie rod setup to improve the steering a bit.

egy8urum.jpg

a7a4e8a9.jpg

bunysuqu.jpg

e9u7ymad.jpg

a7upa4y8.jpg

4yne5y7a.jpg

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Just enjoyed reading through your thread. Pictures are a great reference. I believe you've replied to one or two of my post on another forum as well.
So how did it turn out? Any. new updates?

Rj

Hey RJ, Thanks! Not a lot of progress in a while. Life gets in the way sometimes. It is on the road and w have gotten it out on a couple nice weekends. So it is totally drivable. Got a carb issue still that needs worked out but still runs pretty good. Looking forward to the summer.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Well at least it is drivable, and the Summer is upon us so you can enjoy it. I would love to get mine on the road in time for some nice summer weather.
I just joined this forum and plan on posting a build thread, hope you tune in and can give me a few pointers.

Rj

Hi Rj,
I got a e-mail from you about the pictures of a jeep. I'm a little confuessed about which pictures you were looking at. I rebuilt our CJ5 last year. It is yellow on metalic dark gray and I posted some before pictures but I don't think I posted the finished ones. I have a real hard time putting stuff on this site as I'm a dummy when it comes to computers. Anyway if your interested I could send you some pictures of the finished product. Let me know, you can privet message my your info.

Thanks Darrel:chug:

Been a while but got some KC's on and installed a CB.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom