Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
:)I think there saying starter because that is where you would pick up the Hot lead from the Battery.........Just wire it back the way it was I think your alternator has a large 12 gage Red wire that goes to the battery now does it not?............because that loom is generic just disregard any of those extra wires that have no use in your system.

:D:D:D:D

Yes, there is a wire from the output post to the starter too, red one.

The book says find the wire, it's white, that connects the voltage regulator to the starter relay and slice it in.

I think that wire will get set aside for now.

Thanks Tarry.

Finished the engine loop in the harness, all dressed and connected. Still have all the lights, brake switch, dimmer, and then the fun part all the under dash.

I picked up a new speedometer and new turn signal switch as both were broken so wiring those in from scratch. Then I have the two heaters to get wired in.

Before:
segaseta.jpg

jybupe2e.jpg

anugu7eg.jpg

After:
4ymuquma.jpg

8e8umudu.jpg

Oh yeah, got that air cleaner dressed up too!

Thanks.

Man there are a lot of wires on that harness. I think mine had like a dozen total wires and now everything wires through the fuse block, which the old CJs don't have, so everything is double and then there are a lot of circuits I don't have. Like a dome light, no dome lights is this CJ.

I added a dome light to my CJ5 . Just one I got from Pep boys or Checker. Has ties the go around the roll cage & a button on the light. Has helped out a TON when I needed it. I am now in process of redoing interior a little to be able to fit littles in & will probably give them a dome light in the back also.

Finished the engine loop in the harness, all dressed and connected. Still have all the lights, brake switch, dimmer, and then the fun part all the under dash.

I picked up a new speedometer and new turn signal switch as both were broken so wiring those in from scratch. Then I have the two heaters to get wired in.

Before:
segaseta.jpg

jybupe2e.jpg

anugu7eg.jpg

After:
4ymuquma.jpg

8e8umudu.jpg

SAWHEET!!! is it easier to work on upside down? How did you attach the Jeep to the ceiling securely?

Sorry couldn't resist

Before:
segaseta.jpg

jybupe2e.jpg

anugu7eg.jpg

After:
4ymuquma.jpg

8e8umudu.jpg

:)Troy ............must be hard working on that upsidedown!!

:rolleyes:

So clearly the pictures are up-side down for you guys, strange. Took them with the iPhone as usual and posted. Funny, it looks fine here on the iphone. I will have to see if I can switch those.

Just looked at it on the desktop and that is strange. I am using a new version of TapaTalk. I guess that is one of the advanced features.

Ok, in the course of typing this and trying to upload again I see that TapaTalk has updated their software, around the image upload specifically.

At the moment it will not even let me upload.

Or I was drunk and holding it upside down.

So getting closer on the wiring. Did some simple test and looks like it is checking out so I fire it up! Starts up after a bit of cranking but it has been sitting a while. Sounds good, no sparks, that's good right !

So shut off the key... Still running! Pulled the coil wire to get it to shut off so I have a little more testing to go!

Troy Cantrell
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15075

Ok got that solved, although I do have an extra wire. Painless book says to find the wire from the voltage regulator to the starter relay and splice it in but I don't have one. One 3 wires on the voltage regulator.

I removed it from wherein thought it might go but that was providing power with the key off.

I also don't have a wire to go to the amp light, I may have to run that which will piss me off considering all the work I have done to keep all the wires heat shrunk and tidy.

Anyway, it runs, and turns off, speedo lights up as required, turn signals, hazards, running lights, high and low beam with indicator light, coming along.

I started testing before I put it all back together and the speedo cluster was totally acting weird. Flashing all the lights, temp gauge pegged, without it running. Then realized it grounds though dash and laying on a towel on the floor would not ground. Added a ground for testing and wammo!

Just a few more things to go.

enu5ugy2.jpg

aru9yhe6.jpg

5ybasu9y.jpg

utavanyq.jpg

e3unu6up.jpg

y4aju2a2.jpg

Troy,

:)Looks good.............keep it up the finish line is near!

:D:D:D:D

Getting close, got one last issue with windshield wipers on the wiring and then the harness is done. Still a bunch I would like to do but should be in decent shape do drive.

I still don't know how trustworthy it is, hasn't left me stranded yet but haven't driven it much. Not sure if I will get it out tomorrow, suppose to be about 109 here.

I need to get some pics of the hood back on too.

Troy--
CJ Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

Looks like your getting the upper hand one the beast. I noticed that you still have the old heater setup. I have talked with a few others and come to the conclusion that those old heaters don't work worth a dam. I replaced mine with a box heater from Maradyne M# 5000 heater, puts out 12000 btu's. bolts to the fire wall inside the cab up under the dash so no fear of losing leg room. Just a thought anyway great job. Kadar

Looks like your getting the upper hand one the beast. I noticed that you still have the old heater setup. I have talked with a few others and come to the conclusion that those old heaters don't work worth a dam. I replaced mine with a box heater from Maradyne M# 5000 heater, puts out 12000 btu's. bolts to the fire wall inside the cab up under the dash so no fear of losing leg room. Just a thought anyway great job. Kadar

Thanks, getting close to a good summer stopping point.

I took your advice and check out those heaters and then took Terry's advice and kept the old one too. So now I have the factory heater and that same Maradyne, we sure didn't need it today! Christ on a crutch it was blazing today and the heat coming off the floor too, thought we might melt.

Over all the jeep ran well though, no real issues. Some dieseling and a slight backfire when going down hill and letting the engine hold us back. Didn't do it every time though. Only did a few trails around the lake as it was so bloody hot.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Got the CJ in for a new Transmission cover and exhaust.

I need to pull it out and finish it up.

u5abeza5.jpg

9etysaru.jpg

eze7ymu3.jpg

pa5a7a8a.jpg

I didn't do the fab work, had it done, and once I get it sealed up it should keep the heat, noise, and fumes down.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Found that the twin stick retainer pin was missing the set screw, so it had worked loose. I found this while trying to get the sticks out so I could pull the Transmission cover off to paint it. Got the sticks, and the cover out and the work begins.

ybu2ejug.jpg

evaryva3.jpg

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

On the last run the Jeep seemed to be running a bit rich, gas smell in exhaust, I pulled all the plugs and found the in great shape, all clean and dry. I checked gap and reinstalled and then checked timing.

Timing was set right at TDC so moved it to 5• BTDC. Will get a good test run in as soon as I replace the seal on Transfer Case .

The plugs had a very shallow reach, not sure if that is normal or not I will have to check that out.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Got the Transmission cover cleaned up, painted, and installed. Got the twin sticks reinstalled with the boot on although it needs a ring to keep it in place.

I got a few goodies for my birthday for the rig too. Some KC lights, fire extinguisher, a lock box and some grips.

2a8umeju.jpg

Put one on each side
jere8y3u.jpg

Had a little plate made to cover the hacked hole in the dash too.
a8ypuzan.jpg

I also got the pin that holds the twin sticks in place to actually go in far enough to put in the retaining bolt.

Still waiting on the rear seal for Transfer Case they back ordered it instead of doing a cross reference and shipping me the right one. Should be here Monday.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Dropped the drive line last night so I can replace the rear seal on Transfer Case . I have this nice arch of oil on the bottom of the rig right in line with the yoke where it sprays gear oil out.

Anyone know the size of the nut in the center? Looks to be 1 1/8 but not sure. I will pickup a set of larger sockets today on the way home as I didn't have anything that big.

Troy Cantrell
Build thread - '66 CJ6 :

Picked up a set of bearing race and seal drivers and put things back together. I just need to pressure wash under there and take it for a test drive.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom