1978 cj5 turns over but won't start

1978 cj5 turns over but won't start

nutcase

Jeeper
Thanks
I bought a $400 78 CJ5 last week. the previous owner said it worked two years ago when he last started it. So far I have replaced the solenoid, coil, module, fuel pump, sparkplugs and wires, battery cables with parts from napa. The distributer looks new as do the points. I cleaned the carb out and rebuilt it. I don't seem to have any fire.

What am I forgetting?
Thanks
Danny

did you try spraying it with starting fluid?

did you try spraying it with starting fluid?

Yes, I can't even get a good fart out of it. I've even been though the the history on here and pages for google search results. Im missing something. I have the panels off, but have made sure that that the module is sitting on the frame as well as anything else that needs to be grounded

This is what I start with,Maybe #3 1'st but I always assume.:D

1.do you have spark at the spark plug?
2.do you have gas squirting down the carb when you work the throttle?
3.is the firing order correct?

what did you check/test before you started replacing parts without knowing what was wrong?
You just added a bunch of possible problems to what could/might have been a easy fix.

An engine needs 3 things to run:
A good, hot spark at the proper time
Compression in the cylinder, as fuel is introduced
fuel to burn, introduced at the proper time, in the right amount.

Find out what is missing (as you said, spark is a likely culprit) then trace the system until you find where it is missing.

I had bought a used car from a dealership while in high school. This car had over $1800.00 of documented work done by the service center, but they could not get it to run.
I bought it, and had it running the same day by following these simple steps.
It had fuel being delivered.
It had compression in all the cylinders.
what it was missing was a spark at the plugs. it had spark at the coil, but the plugs were fouled enough that it wouldn't start. A fresh set of plugs in a car that cost me $500.00 was a very good Mother's Day present...

Any chance that baby puked up a timing chain?

Here are the steps i have took so farafter reading a few posts on here including one a few pages back about a 7 that wouldn't start

1. got a new battery sparkplugs and wires, installed them all
2. tried to start the CJ5 and the solenoid kept popping so I replaced it
3. while changing the wires i noticed the top of the coil was cracked so i replaced it also
4. Engine turned over so I started on the fuel system, the previous owner stated that the carb had problems so I took it apart and sure enough most of the ports and jets were completely gummed up so I cleaned it and decided that the fuel pump was in prob in the same condition so I replaced it and cleaned all the lines.
5. I tried to start the engine and nothing I looked the module over and the connections were in very poor shape so I replaced that also (it looked to be the original one)
6. tried to start it today and rechecked the distributor cap the gap was off so i set it and tried again.

7. Now the starter fires up every time i hook up the battery and after reading a few other posts i will test the solenoid and ignition switch but I am assuming its the switch

best way to check that without removing the front?

Just pop the dist cap off and crank it over. The Roter should turn, if not the chain let go.

Just a thought here. You say it hadn't been run in two years, and the distributor looked good - try a quick clean on the points. Sometimes there will be an oxidation layer built up which inhibits electrical contact. Don't use anything too abrasive - a piece of cardboard, like the back of a tablet, will often do the trick.

The ignition switch, the only thing I hadn't replaced yet so i replaced it. checked the carb for flow and and the beast fired right up, rotated the dist. alittle and it leveled out. ran for ten minutes without any hessitation, knocking, or sputtering. turned it off, let it cool and tried again and it hit on the first lick.

If you can't tell im alittle excited.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom