350 conversion. by piece by piece OR find a 350 jeep and swap drive train?

350 conversion. by piece by piece OR find a 350 jeep and swap drive train?

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
I know that all the adapters and stuff to swap a 350 into a jeep murder your wallet but I have seen plenty of good running 350 jeeps on craigslist and posted in peoples yards for dirt cheap because the tub is rusted and no top or doors and blah blah blah. Would it be sensible to buy one of these 350 jeeps and swap the drive train? I really want a 350 but I really don't want to dive into the big expensive puzzle of piecing the parts either. Also if I change to a 350 do I need to swap my diffs too like Dana 44 or something because I still have the AMC20 and Dana 30 . Please tell me your experience in your post if you have done this before or if your a tech ect.

i vote for buying one and rob the drivetrain and adaptors. you could probally get the jeep cheaper than adaptors, radiator, hose. ect ect

i vote for buying one and rob the drivetrain and adaptors. you could probally get the jeep cheaper than adaptors, radiator, hose. ect ect

Thats what I was thinking. Plus it would add a few spare parts to my collection and I could maybe part the rest out and get some money back.

Whether I would take parts from another jeep depends upon the quality of the conversion.

As far as the axles being strong enough, the answer is yes, sort-of, but probably not.
Since you desire more power, that means you will probably use the extra power. Look to add one piece axle shafts to your model 20. No hurry to do it, but eventually you need to get it done. To put things into perspective, stock rear axles will not handle burn-outs on the street for very long.

The front model 30 is fine as long as you do not install a locker, or off road alot with tires 35 inches or bigger. Yes, you can break a model 30 with smaller tires, and some folks go years without damage while using lockers or bigger tires. But since you WANT more power, and probably will use the additional power, you should be weary of all your weaker parts.
In the front, I successfully run a high pinion Dana 44 with heavy duty u-joints for 35x13.50 tires and an OX locker. I do not drive like an idiot. Previously I ran a Dana 30 with a Limited slip and 33" tires for years with no problems. Most people break front axle parts when they let the front end bounce up and down while under power. If you start to bounce, then you need to let off of the gas.

My experience? 23 years of off-roading as a hobby. I do all of my own work, and have done a lot of other peoples work. I have seen a lot of broken parts on the trail. I have been around all types of jeeps and drivers.

Last edited:
Here is what I did and I made out big time. I had a great CJ5 with a glass body and built Dana 30 -Model 20 combo with Tom Woods drive shafts allready but the frame needed work. It wasnt toast but I didnt feel like tackling the job. I just happened to find a 1980 CJ5 for sale with a 327 conversion and T-18 tranny for $3500. I went to look at it and found out the frame was spotless. Not a bit of bad rust anywhere and the conversion looked good plus he built the snot out of the motor. I bought the Jeep for $3200.

I ended up swapping the new Jeeps body, axles and springs onto my other frame and then put my good parts on the new one. I then sold the new Jeep with my old running gear and frame for $2800. So I basically got a whole V8 conversion with a better tranny and a perfect frame for $400. WIN!

It might be cheaper to buy one already done, but if the conversion wasn't done right, you are only buying someone elses problems.
My 20 (locked) and 30 (Limited slip) have held up to my 350 & 33's so far, (6 years)but I know they are the weak link and drive accordingly.

Here is what I did and I made out big time. I had a great CJ5 with a glass body and built Dana 30 -Model 20 combo with Tom Woods drive shafts allready but the frame needed work. It wasnt toast but I didnt feel like tackling the job. I just happened to find a 1980 CJ5 for sale with a 327 conversion and T-18 tranny for $3500. I went to look at it and found out the frame was spotless. Not a bit of bad rust anywhere and the conversion looked good plus he built the snot out of the motor. I bought the Jeep for $3200.

I ended up swapping the new Jeeps body, axles and springs onto my other frame and then put my good parts on the new one. I then sold the new Jeep with my old running gear and frame for $2800. So I basically got a whole V8 conversion with a better tranny and a perfect frame for $400. WIN!

NICE! this is a awesome story. I think im going to keep an eye out for a v8 jeep until I can afford to do a conversion with all new stuff and ill just try which ever comes first I guess haha.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom