44 boggers on a 80 cj5

44 boggers on a 80 cj5
Thanks
hey guys i want to put 44inch boggers on my CJ5 . I am only going to mudd bogging with this and i need to know what type of axles i need to put under it. the jeep has a 355 ci chevy motor with 350hp and a Dana 300 tc.

1 tons... d60's/ff 14bolt/D70... rockwells etc. Seeing that your wheelbase is so short you might want to push your axles out a little... Keep them fullwidth.... You'll probably want to upgrade the shafts and joints etc... Once you get those tires spinning in the groove and you catch the side and it grabs you'll be popping/breaking things daily unless you run a feathered skinny.
As for the Dana 300 you'll probably have to upgrade the outputs... and it wouldn't hurt to fab a girdle fot the Transfer Case while you're at it.

hey thanks for the info. i have a set of 3/4 axles out of a chevy they are 10 and 12 bolts matching front and rear with 410 gears....will that hold up or not.....they were gave to me free. what about if i ugrade them?

The 10 and 12 bolts are not that strong.
If your going to be mud bogging on 44's get rockwells now cause that wimpy 355 will be a 454 pretty soon.:D
IMO I'd get a 205 instead if the 300.

feathered/feathering/feather = light, skinny = throttle.... (Light on and off the throttle)... a Girdle is used to keep the case from splitting into two pieces... the case when/if they split normally split in the center around the idler shaft..
I totally agree with the guys and go with a 205... it'll be cheaper and stronger... definitely heavier but, it'll handle the abuse.

i have a set of 3/4 axles out of a chevy they are 10 and 12 bolts matching front and rear with 410 gears....will that hold up or not...

To reiterate: No.

If you have the money, just have set of Prorocks or Dynatrax built for you. Turning 44's in the mud, you will need to upgrade anything stock you find anyways.

Plan on completely re-designing your suspension to include traction bars and stretching the wheelbase both front and rear. You will probably need to rebuild the frame also, not only to reinforce it, but to stretch it. Plan on new and redesigned everything.

Here is an easy way to run 44" tires on your CJ.

Get a 1 ton 4x4 truck.
Remove the body.
install your 44" tires on the truck's axles.
Get measurements of the CJ body and shorten the truck frame to reasonable match the CJ wheelbase.
Build your CJ body over the top of that frame and tires.
You don't need a lot of articulation in the mud so stiffen up the suspension to keep the lift down a little.
Take lots of pics and post them here!

I second the rockwells, unless you plan on not running boggers then 1 tons would be perfect, but boggers are so much more aggressive that once you have those tires spinning probably 50+ mph in mud and then 1 tire catches, thats the end of that axle, i've just seen it happen to many times. You might could get away with running both front and rear open but where's the fun in that in the mud? Then also you have to think about the gear ratio of rockwells. They run a 6.72 to 1 gear ratio, basically thats what you would have to run, but i have heard of some place working on making other gear ratios for the rockwells since they are becoming more popular.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom