Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7

Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7
~ ~ Someone on here stated " It's just a machine, it can't hate you and it can't intentionally piss you off". On this day Id have to beg to differ! :D

anim_59.png We've all been there buddy, take two of these watch some football and work on it later :beer::beer:

A quick check on the calculater nets this:

alternater $40
belt $15
windshield frame $85
bellhousing $75
Transmission $100
softop hardware $75
fold n tumble seat $50
clutch $AMC 150

Add that to the initial $600 and so far we're in for $1190 not subtracting parts I resold. I'll be doing that all at the end.
how much do you have in it now ???

There are plenty of these :beer: involved in this build. That could be why it takes a weekend to remove a pilot bushing. :laugh: Its a Jeep , their so tuff they fight back. :D
anim_59.png We've all been there buddy, take two of these watch some football and work on it later :beer::beer:

first I want to applaud you for having glasses on, I also hate them but not as much as I would hate to wear an eye patch.
Now, for the pilot bushing, I am amazed they make a tool for that and I wonder why.
To remove a pilot you find a bolt or rod or even a dowel will work, slightly smaller than the center hole, a very loose fit. Fill the hole with bearing grease and put the bolt or whatever in the hole and hit it with a hammer. you don't even have to hit it very hard. the hydraulics of the grease will force the bushing out. this works so well you may be tempted to put it back in so you can remove it again.

and Pete, use a long bolt,don't hit your fingers with the hammer:D

Ok some more nice weather and a weekend off. Time to bust out the wrenches. I live in Pa. and Quadratec has a store about an hr. and 1/2 away. I work so much I still get most of my stuff Ups. A nice box has arrived and I rip into it like a kid at X-mas. The clutch is here and the Jeep will be moving under its own power again by Sunday nite. :rolleyes: Yeah sure it will.

I have bellhousing and clutch now so its time to tear into it. One quick stop at Auto Zone nets me the pilot bushing puller I'll need to get started. That quick Im under the Jeep with my trusty rented tool giving it hell. I crank the bolt on the puller down and "bang" the whole puller flies back at me hitting me square in the right eye. :eek: Way to put a damper on a project huh?

Now let me say before that day I was never a real big fan of eye protection. Hate safety glasses. They make you sweat , get knocked off ,and are generally annoying. Thankfully I was wearing them anyway. If you remember back earlier I stated this Jeep had mud everywhere ,and it turned up even after I cleaned it and drove around for a week. I was so sick of getting dirt in my eyes under this pig I caved and started wearing them. Im pretty glad this thing was as muddy as it was on this day.;)

Anyway I spend all Sat. afternoon trying to pull this pilot bushing with my rental puller to no avail. :bang: I keep praying "this is the time its gonna come out". God was busy with more important things than my pilot bushing I imagine and left me to fend for myself. :rolleyes: When the Transmission loosened up it allowed the shaft to move up and down inside the brass pilot bushing. A hole that shouldve been the size of a No. 2 pencil reverted back to Kindergarden when they give you that red log to write with. Heck it was bigger.

Suday afternoon I had finally had enough and went to Advance to grab another puller. Theres is better for my application. The "feet" on the Auto Zone one were tapered. The advance ones feet dont taper down on the end. Back under the Jeep and in seconds (literally) the bushing is dispatched. So there is how I wasted a weekend pulling a pilot bushing. :D

Someone on here stated " It's just a machine, it can't hate you and it can't intentionally piss you off". On this day Id have to beg to differ! :D

Not the Cj one but its the same. Heres their explanation.

Part Number: SPT22003
  • 1987-06 Wrangler
  • With bushing inside diameter .670-.750

With bushing inside diameter .670-.750.

If you have ever tried to remove a pilot bushing from the end of the crankshaft, you know what a fun job it can be. This tool with be a great addition to your toolbox and makes removing the pilot bushing a snaphttp://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/#

apparently it doesn't work very well.:eek: if the bushing ID is .67 fill the center with bearing grease and drive a 1/2 inch bolt into the center to compress the grease, it will push the pilot out slick as you please.:cool:
wear glasses.

Not the Cj one but its the same. Heres their explanation.

Part Number: SPT22003
  • 1987-06 Wrangler
  • With bushing inside diameter .670-.750

With bushing inside diameter .670-.750.

If you have ever tried to remove a pilot bushing from the end of the crankshaft, you know what a fun job it can be. This tool with be a great addition to your toolbox and makes removing the pilot bushing a snap

apparently it doesn't work very well.

Not the initial one no. :D But aside from the pilot bushing everything else goes together just like it should. At first I tried putting the Transmission and Transfer Case up together , just how I took them out. This is pretty much a lesson in futility for one person. After a couple shots and curse words I split them and all was well.

Time to move her under her own power. Seth didnt mislead me the Transmission shifts perfectly and is very quiet compared to the original. Even with warmer temps the Jeep still runs like :dung:. Its time to address that. I scour the net and find a Mc2100 carb for $75 complete with rebuild kit and the adapter plate. I probably couldve sourced this stuff a little cheaper from the pick n pull and the web but it was worth it to grab it all in one package to me.

At this point Im still looking for a lift and some tires. My hard doors are shot so I was thinking of making 1/2 doors out of them. The window frames are so rusty they basically break right off. I gutted them and painted the panels and such. When I put them on I just didnt like the look so Im trying to find some Yj ones for it. They arent hard to find but pretty pricey.

You can see how the doors look in this pic. The lines of the Yj 1/2 doors look much better and will allow me to run a window also.

progress1.jpg

Now seems like a good time to take a little break and share some things Ive learned during the course of this build. Im a Cj guy all the way just like all you reading this. This has led to sectors of our Jeep Club to think we arent with the times. Ive been called a "knuckle dragger" more than once all in good fun of course. If owning and loving the finest Jeep ever made makes me a knuckle dragger so be it. :D

Alot of our club is Tjs. You can get Tjs around $4000 right about now but Im sure many of those guys paid more. Typical Tj lift costs around $1000 plus your wheels , tires , re gear and such. Most Tj guys buy off the shelf and alot have others ( most likely knuckle draggers :D) install their bling bling off road stuff. The great part is when you run the same trails as them and have more fun doing it for 1/2 the cost. That ends the knuckle dragger talk. ;)

There is a great hi tech source for all your Cj needs right at your fingertips. The advent of the internet has made getting your Cj parts alot more hassle free. One of the best searches Ive run across is Search Tempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist! . This handy site lets you put in your parameters for your search. You put in what your looking for ,what your willing to pay and how far your willing to travel. Submit it and you have complete searches for your item of all the Craigslist ads within your travel limits.

Another is look for a local Jeep club. Those like minded individuals probably have what your looking for local or know someone who does. Do a quick google search and see what you come up with. My quick search came up with about 7 different ones in my area Jeep Clubs Penssylvania | Jeep Club Philadelphia | Jeep PA
These clubs often have for sale sections on their websites. For me Our local club BMJA Message Forums :: Index has turned up many a part for various different Cjs Ive had. Of course Ebay is ok sometimes as long as you know what the part is really worth. Finally there are many good resources right at the top of the Forum page. Watch the banner and click on who you want. Type what you want in their search box and bang : there it is with the price.

I know alot of you already know this information but hopefullysome of the newer to Jeep guys will find this helpful. Back to the wrenchin talk another day. :chug:

Ive scoured the internet a bit more and found some good deals. I ran across diamond plate corner and rocker guards for $85. I also grab a liftgate for the hardtop for a mere $20. Another $100 gets me some 2 1/2 in. lift springs. I spend a little more for the shocks and boots $160 than the lift but they are brand spankin new from Quadratec. I end up selling the wheels and tires the Jeep came with right out from under it. The three dry rotted 32s and a block will have to suffice till I grab the elusive used 33 in. tires Im looking for.

Seems like everything is falling into place doesnt it? Thats what I was thinking too , and then I learned some things. First was a Yj hardtop doesnt accept a Cj liftgate. :bang: A guy in our local club rolled his Cj and cracked the top. I remembered seeing the pic and asked if he had the liftgate still. He did and I picked it up for $20. Live and learn. I got my springs though so I decide to put them on. I take one spring off and lay it by the new ones I got. Oh brother. :eek: Seems the Salvage CJ7 already had lift springs on it. :bang: No wonder I could sling those 32s under it so easily. Looks like Ive wasted $120 now.

Now here comes the part where I tell you I believe this Jeep is blessed. It has to be. It just seems this Jeep wants to cover my stupidity. I couldve done a search on here or posted a thread and not even bothered going for that liftgate. It sits in my shed for a month until I run across a thread on another site with a guy complaining about spending $400 for a fiberglass liftgate frame. A couple of pm's, some cardboard from work and Im making a box to ship this bad boy to Colorado. I sell it for $200. Its a pain making the box and all but well worth it. I have to take the liftgate hinges off to keep them from sticking through my newly made box. Another blessing since I later sell them for $15.

At this point Im back to working alot of o.t. so the only thing I have to show are my freshly painted yellow wheels. They look much better than the rusted white 15 x 8s it came with.

offroaders.jpg

wheels.jpg

So, when's the logo going on the hood rimshot.png, lol

Pittsburgh-Steelers-Logo.gif

Tax time is creeping up and that means the $600 Salvage CJ7 is that much closer to being back in the stable. Time to move this thread along a little.

The thing still runs like :dung: so thats my biggest concern. I decided to do the Mc2100 carb swap and the Team Rush upgrade in the short time I had off. I already knew Id need a bracket for the accelerator cable so I fabbed up one at work. I also heard that the V-8 cable works better with the Mc2100 so I grabbed one from Quadratec. The Team Rush costs about $100 and the cable was about $15. I also added a Pertronix type Flame thrower coil for $40. As mentioned earlier I got the carb ,adapter plate and rebuild kit for $75 awhile ago. I rebuilt the carb in a few days after work.

I wish to this day I wouldve done these upgrades one at a time. This crappy running motor has been totally rejuvinated. I always knew it was solid from the beginning but I was pleasantly suprised with the throttle response and overall tourque of the little AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . It'll chirp the 33 in. tires off the line , but I try not to do that much. :)

It took me forever to get a set of 33s on the cheap. I ended up settling for some worn all terrains for $100. The good thing about it is I got a used power steering box with them. The bad thing was it was just hanging out on a rolling chassis for a year so who knows what I got. The salvage 7s has leaked ever since I got it. At this point though Ive driven it and Im startin to think about getting it more trail ready ...

Well all the W2s are in and the taxes will be figured out by tommorrow!!That means by the end of the month I should be able to start again.
It's about time :chug:
Now of course I have a laundry list of upgrades I want to add but first and foremost I wanna wheel this Summer!! Upgrades will be weekend installs not month long projects. ;) I'll have a couple of articles to write up for the site and I'll be taking more frame by frame pics. It'll help that the Jeep will actually be here. :D

I already have 4 upgrades planned for the Salvage CJ7 . Within the next couple weeks I'll finish off to the point where the Salvage CJ7 sits today. Once I get it back and tie up some loose ends its off to Rausch Creek Off Road Park for the first wheeling adventure. That will hopefully be in March but may get pushed to April do to work. After that it'll be upgrades 1 by 1 till the weather goes bad or I get a garage. :D

With a little time off things progress pretty nicely from here on. The largest amount of cash I spend is on my bumpers. I grabbed a set off Ebay for $300. I painted them yellow and slapped them on. The diamond plate I got also goes on quite easily with a few pop rivets.

Heres the bumpers and diamond plate corners installed:

cj7-2.jpg

cj7-3.jpg

The end of the budget part of this build is pretty much at hand by now. One of the last things I grab is a set of 33 x 12.5 All Terrains. I had a real hard time finding any in that size used. These came to me for $100. I wasnt really looking for All Terrains but ended up settling.

I found some fiberglass 1/2 doors on Craigslist for $40. They need a small seem repair on the driverside but otherwise are in good shape. I grabbed some soft uppers for only $30 but the passenger side has a small crack in the window. I also had to get a tailpipe and there is still a section of frame that needs repair.

So whats the grand total for getting this Jeep roadworthy and able to handle low to mid blue trails in my area? Did I come in under $2500 like I wanted? Heres the list for you.

Alt. belt $15
Alternater $40
Widshield frame$85
Bellhousing $75
T-176 $100
Soft top hardware $75
Fold n tumble seat $50
Clutch $AMC 150
Fiberglass 1/2 doors $40
Soft uppers $30
Superlift shocks $160
Bumpers $300
D-rings $80
Team Rush $100
Flame thrower coil $40
Mc2100 $75
Air cleaner $25
Steering box $50
Tires $100
Tailpipe $40
Diamond plate $80
Misc. $200
Frame repair $200
Purchase price $600

Total : $2710

Complete and utter failure :( , until you tally in the things I sold. ;)

Dana 300 $200
tires and wheels $125
windshield $30
Bellhousing $40
Transmission
$75
Hardtop $75
Rear Liftgate $200
Hinges $15
Choke stat $10
Hard door windows $10
Window regulater $10

Total $790

Final Tally $1920!! Nice. :chug:

So there we are. At this point I sell the Jeep to a guy at work for $2500 to use toward the purchase of my Scrambler. I dont think you could pay anyone $580 to put in the amount of labor I did to this Jeep.

Im just a little bummed I only got to take a small ride in her before she was gone. Awhile back though I said this project was blessed. As the Jeep Gods would have it my coworker wasnt ready for a Cj purchase. Im buying it back at the end of this week for $2300.

So with the $580 I made off of it and the $200 less on the buy back Im at $ 1140. :eek: See I told you the $600 Salvage CJ7 is blessed. :notworthy:

latest85.jpg

Last edited:
You da man Pete.:cool:
I sure am glad I don't need to buy a horse from you.:rolleyes:

:D Let it be known that I didn't haggle any of the prices listed except the original purchase of the Cj. These were prices people had them listed for. Now of course I didn't really divulge any info. on going rates for some of the things I bought either. ;)

Looking back I don't think I made the right decision in selling it. I put plenty of work into it and had a solid platform to upgrade. Then I turned around and sold it , yes for something I really wanted but it cost me a year of wheeling. I don't think the Scrambler was worth that year off. I'm lucky to get it back and the timing should be good. A few upgrades and I'll be trail ready by the time the weather breaks. :cool:
I sure am glad I don't need to buy a horse from you.:rolleyes:

Paid for the Jeep over 2 weeks ago and finally got to pick her up this weekend. I made the mistake of getting involved in a special "project" at work that took up alot of my time. It was about a 60 mi. drive home so I got a real good feel of the Cj.

We pulled over about 2 miles after pulling out. I felt a wobble from the right side. Not the response I was looking for right off the bat. 1 lugnut was gone and just about all were loose! :eek: The throttle was hanging up and the new clutch really needs some adjusting. One of the return springs I had on the carb was gone. I didnt have anything I could use on me so blipping the throttle was the only solution. After tightening all the lug nuts I was on my way.

Other than that she really performed well. Plenty of power from that little AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Easily the best running AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Ive had. Between the Team Rush , flamethrower coil and the Mc2100 Its nothing like the 9 mpg turd it was when I first bought it. Im not sure if I reconnected the speedo cable when I swapped the tranny and I noticed the speedo wasnt working. Mechanically she feels pretty sound though.

That said it still needs some upgrades to make it more trail worthy.The weather is getting good enough to work on her now so look for a few mods coming up. What mods you ask? Tj flares I already have in the shed so thats a no brainer. Definately getting some new shoes and putting them on the Outlaws that are also in the shed. To my daughters dismay all the yellow will be gone. I found some interesting paint that Im gonna try out hopefully sometime next week. After that the budget is gonna get blown up but thats for another time. :)

Cj-7.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom