Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7

Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7
What are you going to do about the weak axles the YJ has? Or did I miss something??

I only really talked about the Yj in one thread. And that was mainly about what people thought it was worth. For all the smack talk the AMC20 rear axle gets the Dana 35 in the Yj was a step backwards. It will be replaced by a Ford 8.8. Theres no fixing a Dana 35 even with the "Super 35 Kit".

The Yj front Dana 30 used vacuum to connect a shift fork and engage the front axle. Not really how you want your 4wd to be activated. Theres a cable kit to replace the vacuum set up and a beefier shift fork to replace the weak stock piece.

What are you going to do about the weak axles the YJ has? Or did I moss something??

I know you only talked about the YJ in one thread. I've been stocking you on here Pete ha ha ha

Id feel better if you were just "stalking" me. The idea of you showing up at my door after a ride cross country in nylons is just unnerving. :laugh:

I know you only talked about the YJ in one thread. I've been stocking you on here Pete ha ha ha

What a difference a few weeks can make. I was pretty down in the dumps over the Cj cause of the frame being worse off than I thought. I had talked with Vicki and she expressed a desire to drive a bit off road as well but not with a manual. I imediately started my Automatic Cj search. Then I ran into the rolled Yj and figured Id rebuild it till Penn Dot made it extremely difficult to do with the "R" title. :(

I resumed my search for a 80s Cj with an auto and ran across one I could afford. It was realy rough but ran with an automatic so I offered $800. In hindsight Im glad he didnt accept. I was in a real crappy mood when Vicki hit me with a bit more reality. Every time we camp it seems like we pick up a little more stuff. We'd be hard pressed to fit all our gear in a CJ7 without racks and covers and such. I told her my plan was to make the leftover tub into a trailer to carry all our gear and she said something about going again "in our lifetime". :mad:

I was mad but she was right. I need a Cj up and running legally , safely looking 1/2 decent by Spring no later. One Pm to the right person has me very excited about making that goal. The Salvage CJ7 will live on , just as a reincarnation ( re - in - jeep - ination actually ) of sorts. Id love to spill the beans but dont want to jinx it.

Im betting it'll make a pretty good story though. I'll know more next week and will be picking up whatever it is I buy the last week of August. I promise to have pics and updates before then.

:chug:

Interesting :punk: sounds like an automatic jeep of some sorts. :D

What a difference a few weeks can make. I was pretty down in the dumps over the Cj cause of the frame being worse off than I thought. I had talked with Vicki and she expressed a desire to drive a bit off road as well but not with a manual. I imediately started my Automatic Cj search. Then I ran into the rolled Yj and figured Id rebuild it till Penn Dot made it extremely difficult to do with the "R" title. :(

I resumed my search for a 80s Cj with an auto and ran across one I could afford. It was realy rough but ran with an automatic so I offered $800. In hindsight Im glad he didnt accept. I was in a real crappy mood when Vicki hit me with a bit more reality. Every time we camp it seems like we pick up a little more stuff. We'd be hard pressed to fit all our gear in a CJ7 without racks and covers and such. I told her my plan was to make the leftover tub into a trailer to carry all our gear and she said something about going again "in our lifetime". :mad:

I was mad but she was right. I need a Cj up and running legally , safely looking 1/2 decent by Spring no later. One Pm to the right person has me very excited about making that goal. The Salvage CJ7 will live on , just as a reincarnation ( re - in - jeep - ination actually ) of sorts. Id love to spill the beans but dont want to jinx it.

Im betting it'll make a pretty good story though. I'll know more next week and will be picking up whatever it is I buy the last week of August. I promise to have pics and updates before then.

Pete,
You have a dealers license yet? (LOL)

Me too, believe me :popcorn:

Interesting :punk: sounds like an automatic jeep of some sorts. :D

An auto is high on the priority list. Itll keep Vicki interested and hopefully open up the purse strings bit. :D

Pete,
You have a dealers license yet? (LOL)

I actually updated my profile to show Im down to 1 Cj. :eek: Id like to update it again to 1 wheeling Cj by Spring.

I'll share part of the pm that made me so happy today below in red. Itll spill the beans somewhat but oh well...

Hello Pete. I do still have the yellow one , actually I have 14 CJ8s now. several like what your looking for and an extra automatic.

I'm at the SOA Mid West Sand Blast with about 20 or so other scramblers for this weekend. l'll get you some photos Tuesday if that will work.

:D

Pete you could always pick up one of these

Pete you could always pick up one of these

:)Or one a little newer..............LOL
:D:D:D:D

Both are very tempting but wont fit all the camping gear. :rolleyes:

Old Dog this trip is gonna bring me fairly close to your area. Its in Dilsboro IN. Too bad theres "some assembly required". :D

Old Dog this trip is gonna bring me fairly close to your area. Its in Dilsboro IN. Too bad theres "some assembly required". :D

Pete, that's pretty close. When you headed over there?

I was going to say I'd go with, but I'm headed to Harlan Co.(Black Mountain) to go wheel'n Aug. 30-sept 3. To bad we couldn't get together for a day.

Im gonna guarantee a long distance trip next year. Harlan is about 600 miles but only 10 hrs. I pick my vacation weeks sometime late Jan or early Feb. That will also give me time to know exactly where Im at with the Cj. I know I can talk Vicki into it if we hit a Campground out there. It really shouldnt be difficult to swap everything over to a Scrambler.

I try to get a week in June but it goes by seniority and Im about mid pack. Can you take a long weekend around then? Maybe we open it up to the forum when a date is set?

I was going to say I'd go with, but I'm headed to Harlan Co.(Black Mountain) to go wheel'n Aug. 30-sept 3. To bad we couldn't get together for a day.

It's always hard to say when I can get off as I work in a small shop (only 3 of us) so it always depends on how busy we are.
Work has been slow the last couple years but we always get our busy moments. So maybe. I can usually get at least a friday OR monday off though.

Well I get 3 weeks of vacation a year plus a whopping 2 personal days. 2 days will basically be shot for drive time so the personal days arent in play. 2 of my weeks get picked for me for plant shutdowns. Usually one in July and one in August. One of those is Family vacation.

I was just throwing it out there but Im honest about setting up a week to do it. Even a 3 day weekend for you would be great. Like I said we'll be spending two days driving and we'll wanna relax and camp a couple days. I figure two good days of wheelin, maybe 3 would be perfect. Plenty of time to decide. :)
It's always hard to say when I can get off as I work in a small shop (only 3 of us) so it always depends on how busy we are.
Work has been slow the last couple years but we always get our busy moments. So maybe. I can usually get at least a friday OR monday off though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom