AMC 401 conversion help

AMC 401 conversion help
To bad your not closer I would trade you my fresh T-176 for that T-18 .

Happy New year to you all, and thanks for all the posts so far. its been awhile since i've been on. Right now I have a T-4 in the jeep, and a T-18 sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. i'm starting to have slight doubts about putting the T-18 in, mainly due to the low first gear. there isn't going to be any serious wheeling done with this jeep, nothing that i could see needing a crawler gear. the T-176 from what i've been reading seems to be a better fit, but they are turning out to be quite hard to come by. chances are i will be going with the T-18 since i have it sitting in my garage. any thoughts from you all with the t18s in respect to minor offroading and street use? thanks again for all the replies

Dont be afraid of the compound low 1st gear. It really isnt used unless you are offroad. I also drive mine quite a bit on-road and the T-18 gearspread is just fine for road use.

The T-18 /Dana 300 along with it's adapter is almost the exact same length as your T-4 /Dana 300 ...I think there's maybe ¼" difference. You wont need to lengthen and shorten your drivelines.

If I had a T-18 and a T-176 side by side, there's no doubt which tranny I would go with :cool:

If I had a T-18 and a T-176 side by side, there's no doubt which tranny I would go with :cool:
:agree: X 2

Keep that beauty of a tranny you have!

Though I'm also with Cj5Dave, I'd buy a T-176 to trade ya :booze:

That T-18 will be great for you for if and when you ever do want to crawl, pull a boat out of the water on a ramp etc.

All kinds of positives about it.

The T-176 gearing:
1st = 3.52:1
2nd = 2.27:1
3rd = 1.46:1
4th = 1:1
R = 3.52:1

T-18 Gearing:
1st = 6.32:1
2nd = 3.09:1
3rd = 1.69:1
4th = 1:1
R = 7.44:1

On road the T-18 would start 2nd, T-176 1st and the difference in gear jump would be 1.25:1 vs 1.40:1 (between 1st and 2nd on T-176 and 2nd to 3rd in T-18 )
:chug:

~ JR

Very interesting thoughts, I thank you very much for the input. I'm new to the jeep world, and all the possibilities they have to offer. I've been driving a 5 speed dodge dakota so that's pretty much all I know as of right now. Its taking me a little bit to wrap my head around the idea of anything different than driving a 5speed. The T-18 came with a Dana 20 Transfer Case , at least that's what I was told. Sadly I have not had a chance to verify that. What are your thoughts on the Dana 300 vs Dana 20 Transfer Case ? again thank you guys for your input.

Very interesting thoughts, I thank you very much for the input. I'm new to the jeep world, and all the possibilities they have to offer. I've been driving a 5 speed dodge dakota so that's pretty much all I know as of right now. Its taking me a little bit to wrap my head around the idea of anything different than driving a 5speed. The T-18 came with a Dana 20 Transfer Case , at least that's what I was told. Sadly I have not had a chance to verify that. What are your thoughts on the Dana 300 vs Dana 20 Transfer Case ? again thank you guys for your input.

The great thing about the T-18 is of all the crappy transmissions Jeep went with, this is one you wont ever have to worry about.

The Dana 300 has a slightly lower ratio then the Dana 20 , strength is comparable.

The great thing about the T-18 is of all the crappy transmissions Jeep went with, this is one you wont ever have to worry about.

The Dana 300 has a slightly lower ratio then the Dana 20 , strength is comparable.

Couldnt have said it better myself... :cool:

Sounds like I should just go ahead and get that T-18 put in and quite thinking about it.

The advantages of the Dana 300 over 20 are its eaiser to twin stick and has the lower crawl ratio. Since you are not wheeling hard, may not be as importaint, but the Dana 20 requires an adapter i think to mate to that T-18 ...

Not positive but the Dana 300 i think is a direct bolt up.

But you said it came with a Dana 20 attached right?

These a good thread or post on t case id-ing around here somewhere... Would help you figure out which you have. Basically has to do with the shift rail /linkage type. Ill see if i can fine it amd aome pics in a little bit for you.

:chug:
Jr

The advantages of the Dana 300 over 20 are its eaiser to twin stick and has the lower crawl ratio. Since you are not wheeling hard, may not be as importaint, but the Dana 20 requires an adapter i think to mate to that T-18 ...

Not positive but the Dana 300 i think is a direct bolt up.

But you said it came with a Dana 20 attached right?

Jr

It's actually the other way around. The Dana 300 requires an expensive adapter, the Dana 20 bolts right up. :chug:

As long as it is a Jeep T-18 and not a Ford T-18 ... ;)
The Ford T-18 requires the adapter for the 300. To my knowledge the Jeep T-18 also requires an adapter for the 300.

(I run a Ford T18a/Dana 300 combo. Required the high-$ adapter from AA)

Edit: But yes you're correct, the Jeep T-18 will take the Dana 20 without an adapter....the Ford will not.

Last edited:
the Dana 20 came bolted up to the T-18 , and the jeep yard told me it was out of a CJ7 . I have a Dana 300 and the Transfer Case in question sitting side by side, and they definitly look to be different transfer cases.

the Dana 20 came bolted up to the T-18 , and the jeep yard told me it was out of a CJ7 . I have a Dana 300 and the Transfer Case in question sitting side by side, and they definitly look to be different transfer cases.
IMO you have the holy grail of motors for a jeep with the 401. The holy grail in Transmission the T-18 and a stout Dana 20 I would just slap in the T-18 and Dana 20 and run with it. The low first gear of the T-18 will more then make up for th e slight differants in lower gearing of the Dana 300 . But thats just my .02:)

sounds like id be crazy not to roll with that setup. that sure puts things into a great perspective, the holy grails of engine,tranny, and tcase. thanks to you guys my mind is made up. thanks a lot. ill be sure to let yins know how it works out.

Well the T-18 Transmission with the Dana 20 Transfer Case has been installed! I picked it up last night, and my alternator was squealing really bad, so I didn't have a chance to really drive it. Once I get that replaced then its time to play alittle bit, Ill let you all know what I think of the T-18 then.

Well the T-18 Transmission with the Dana 20 Transfer Case has been installed! I picked it up last night, and my alternator was squealing really bad, so I didn't have a chance to really drive it. Once I get that replaced then its time to play alittle bit, Ill let you all know what I think of the T-18 then.

Sounds like the belt is slipping is all...probably doesn't need replaced

Well CJim, i went ahead and replaced the alternator anyhow, it felt a little loose inside, it looked like a pretty old alternator anyhow. i did not realize a belt slipping could sound so damn terrible, but that is good to know in case it happens again. thank you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom