AMC 401 conversion help

AMC 401 conversion help
So after replacing the belts, there is still a loud squealing sound, i've checked and rechecked the belt tension. i drove it yesterday for alittle after the squealing went away, parked in for a bout two hours, and when i went to start it the squealing was back. I'm stumped, any ideas? Also I noticed a couple noises when in first gear. alittle bit of popping, slight rubbing, but once i get into second, third, etc, there are no noises. also getting out of first gear into second is pretty damn tricky. pardon my simple questions, but this is my first go with owning a jeep, and let alone one with such a beastly engine, Transmission , etc. is it normal for first to be noisy, ,and is there a trick to shifting the t-18s? thanks

So after replacing the belts, there is still a loud squealing sound, i've checked and rechecked the belt tension. i drove it yesterday for alittle after the squealing went away, parked in for a bout two hours, and when i went to start it the squealing was back. I'm stumped, any ideas? Also I noticed a couple noises when in first gear. alittle bit of popping, slight rubbing, but once i get into second, third, etc, there are no noises. also getting out of first gear into second is pretty damn tricky. pardon my simple questions, but this is my first go with owning a jeep, and let alone one with such a beastly engine, Transmission , etc. is it normal for first to be noisy, ,and is there a trick to shifting the t-18s? thanks

You could still have a belt issue....the pulleys can get glazed and cause slippage. I used to take a bit of emery cloth to them, seems to work great. Or you can try a can of belt dressing. Check to make sure you dont have a pulley dragging somewhere....

First gear in the T-18 is a compound low gear. By nature, it will be noisy, real noisy.. It is also difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd because of the design of the gears, and being non-synchroed, virtually impossible to downshift from 2nd to 1st.
Most people start out in 2nd gear, bypassing 1st all together as it really isn't needed. I only use 1st gear offroad, that's where it really shines...not on the street :D

.......is there a trick to shifting the t-18s? thanks

T-18 Tricks:

-Don’t use 1st gear unless you need to, it’s for crawling. Use 2nd gear instead of first when starting from a stop. -Don’t force the shifter between gears. This is a 2-1/2 ton truck Transmission in what is really a ¼ ton truck. You will be able to feel with a gentle push when the Transmission is ready to move to the next gear. In fact it is possible to shift the Transmission without a clutch this way in a pinch.

such a difference having and using this tranny is compared to all the others I've driven. thanksto you guys for helping me out. now with starting out in second,when i try to do that,it lags the hell outta the Jeep, damnnear wants to stall. im guessing that had to maybe do with the gearing? I've def come to realize cjim that i cant downshift to 1st,and inn order to get it to go in i run through the gears,then it'll go into into first without grinding. now taking off,first to second doesnt seem too tough, mostly just getting out of first. saddle tramp,is that really what this Transmission can handle, a 2 and a half ton truck?

I believe it is 2.5 tons speced. Here is a my T-15 vs my T-18 . :eek:
And, the T-15 is probably the strongest 3 spd put in a CJ... ;)

t18_vs_t15.jpg

Ya, the T-18 is a monster. You pretty much install it and forget about it. Someone in my club once said a nuclear bomb could go off inside your Jeep and the T-18 would be the only thing left. :D

the T-18 i have just may be the close ratio version. for one, reverse is up by third, and Second seems to high to pull out in. is the first gear in the close ratio unsynchroed?

Yep, they put T-18 transmissions in 2-1/2 ton trucks. You will get use to starting in 2nd, just give it a little more gas, and remember you’re not driving a sports car. Having the reverse over-and-up means your T-18 was made sometime from 1972 to 1978; 1979 had reverse over-and-down. You may have either a close or wide ratio gearing unless the junk yard put it in writing as to which one. Do you know what and year of the donor vehicle was for your T-18 ?

Yep, they put T-18 transmissions in 2-1/2 ton trucks. You will get use to starting in 2nd, just give it a little more gas, and remember you’re not driving a sports car. Having the reverse over-and-up means your T-18 was made sometime from 1972 to 1978; 1979 had reverse over-and-down. You may have either a close or wide ratio gearing unless the junk yard put it in writing as to which one. Do you know what and year of the donor vehicle was for your T-18 ?

I have not been able to find out about the donor vehicle. One thing I do know is that its definetly the close ratio. Starting out from a dead stop in second is a no go, tried different amounts of gas, etc. The T-18 is still a damn nice Transmission , even without the granny low.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom