Bad vibration above 1900

Regular Clutch Kit 6 or 8 Cyl 10.50 3240278K

This kit is half the price of the center force. Will this do?

:)Germy,

The old adage "you get what you pay for" still hold's true.

Shop the internet including Amazon...........perhaps even your local Napa or Speed Shop where you live might have a better price.

If you drive it just around town and don't get after it off road where you are create a lot of heat & friction I would say that cheaper version will probably get you by.
:D:D:D:D

I'm glad you finally took my advice and looked in the clutch can.......... Everything you mentioned previously pointed to that being the problem.
Go to the CenterForce Clutch web page...............they have a good selection of clutches available..............have someone check your flywheel for cracks & balance...........if it's OK get it surfaced and put it back together with a new clutch disc, pressure plate & throwout bearing.

NICE CALL Tarry99 !

As I was reading your imput, it sounded spot on.

I've been following along with this issue. Unfortunately I was always one step behind the advice you had been getting. Glad you got it figured out though...

Ok, I'm shopping around for the center force, makes sense. So, pressure, disc, thro out and pilot. Cleaning the block with brake cleaner on and off. Works real well. Wondering if I should clean the pan or buy new. It has about 1/2 inch of gunk on top of blue paint.

In the second clutch pic, you'll see the second crack where the pen is

In the second clutch pic, you'll see the second crack where the pen is

Someone road that clutch pretty hard.............Good news hopefully you did not tear up anything else!

Clean the pan up , take it to a quarter car wash "at night" and give it a bath.

Make sure you stick the pilot bushing in while the motor is out, makes life a lot easier...........in fact if you can stand the motor up on end makes it just that much better to get it out and back in.

What is the pilot bushing. Is it on the crank?

Edit:searching internet

Is that bearing in or around the crank? This does not sound fun. Do I get a bearing for a 360 when the clutch was from a six?

Thanks cj. I am confused on the Transmission side. The tranny from a different motor does not affect the 360 pilot size?

Thanks cj. I am confused on the Transmission side. The tranny from a different motor does not affect the 360 pilot size?

That is a Bronze Bushing ( sometimes a bearing) that is fitted into a bore at the rear of your crank.
You will have to do a little measuring............ID of Bore and OD of bore versus the OD & Length of the input shaft bearing surface (on your Transmission )and on your crankshaft bore a similar measurement..........not hard............ just pay attention.

Just to clear a few things up..............I went back and reread things , First off you were not sure of what motor was in there ( AMC 304 or 360 ) or what flywheel was in there?
You need to confirm what you have as all the parts you will need to fix this will depend on that information.

Not sure, Did you also replace the vibration dampner in the front of the crank?

Point is if this was run for a while with a severe vibration...........any parts like the dampner could also be damaged............sounds like your replacing bearings at the crank & rods........If it was me I would have the rotating assembly (rods, pistons, crankshaft) including the flywheel balanced........no reason in taking anymore chances.

Yeah, new damper. Had compression in all cylinders low in 5, bad exhaust valve. I am scared to dig deeper because of money. I kinda have to get the obvious and in a year, may have to go in again. I feel very confident that the combo of damper, bad valves, flywheel, clutch and pulleys and mounts did it. I have the correct of everything now. I will head your great advice though and at least have a professional friend look a little closer. I can't though at this point just replace to replace.

Yeah, new damper. Had compression in all cylinders low in 5, bad exhaust valve. I am scared to dig deeper because of money. I kinda have to get the obvious and in a year, may have to go in again. I feel very confident that the combo of damper, bad valves, flywheel, clutch and pulleys and mounts did it. I have the correct of everything now. I will head your great advice though and at least have a professional friend look a little closer. I can't though at this point just replace to replace.

I hear what your saying...................and I'm not saying replace it as much as perhaps have it tested or take a good look at it...............
I only make that recommendation based on I have no Idea how long any of this stuff was run out of balance.
And make no mistake running it that way will damage or weaken parts.

Too true! I will have a professional look closer as I do not have the knowledge for those types of issues. Tomorrow, I'm going to finish cleaning the block. Should I wait to paint till assembled? I'm not painting the intake or timing cover, so I'd have to be careful painting the front right? I can't get paint under the timining cover? Just not sure where to start to get moving before the parts get back from the shop. The whole jeep is caked with grease thicker than :dung: from years of bad leaks I assume. What to do?

Id check out Summitracing.com. They have tons of kits and you can almost never find a better price. If I were you I would pass on the centerforce; not required for your application so its a good place to save some dough. Just type in your vehicle on the left and you'll get the right kit. If you don't have the original engine, use a different vehicle that came with the combo you have.

Ok, cool. Should I wait to paint until motor is assembled? I'd be guessing where to paint on the front where the timing cover goes. Am I correct that you do not paint under timing cover?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom