Choke Question?

Choke Question?
Would that bowl vent slow the gas flow, and cause my problem. Excuse the ignorance of my question. Still trying to learn this.

Choke now opens 3/4 of the way, and idles lower at 800 rpm's. I guess I am moving in the right direction. Since there are no vacuum leaks, that I can find with spray. I guess I should continue to follow gas flow in order get the choke plate to open fully? I can't thank you enough for all the help. This is saving me a ton of money! :)

this sounds promising,
Don't worry there will be plenty of places to spend money.:laugh:

Choke now opens 3/4 of the way, and idles lower at 800 rpm's. I guess I am moving in the right direction. Since there are no vacuum leaks, that I can find with spray. I guess I should continue to follow gas flow in order get the choke plate to open fully? I can't thank you enough for all the help. This is saving me a ton of money! :)

When the bowl vent is restricted, manifold vacuum inside the carb increases and fuel is forced away from its proper circuits. The ignorant comment I made was towards the person who plugged your bowl vent, not you. As long as you keep asking questions, you will figure it out. It is also a lot harder to go behind someone else s rigging.

The choke thermostat is supposed to have a notch on it, that is supposed to be set to 1 rich. This thermostat is new, and it has no markings or notch. In reference to the coil inside where does that notch line up. Is the notch even with the end oh the coil, that catches the arm of the choke.

Is there an easy way to set it, if the thermostat cap doesn't have a notch?

You can eyeball it and get it close. With the engine cold and off, rotate the housing untill the choke flap contacts the carb throat, then counter rotate it untill the flap starts opening.You are looking for about a quarter of an inch between the flap and throat. Start it up and watch the choke pull off. Make sure that it is fully open at operating temp. It may take a few tries to get it to pull off fully. This is a warm climate setting.

Choke Question

No, I havent read all of the posts. I havent read any. I see you need help with the choke so here I am.

To choke the PO, just wrap your hands firmly around his or her neck, blocking all airflow. Hold your hands in this position until they are no longer moving. Let them fall to the ground. Walk away smiling. The End. :) Does this help? ;)

:laugh: Well said. The thought has crossed my mind once or twice!

OK, When I unplugged the bowl vent I am finding a new issue. It use to start and idle high (1000 RPM's then to 2000 RPM's as it warmed). Now when it starts, it runs at 800 - 500 RPM's sputters and kills after 5 sec. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.

I assuming, that it isn't getting the gas it needs. I plan to rent a gauge to check the gas line pressure? What should it be at?

If the pressure is correct I assume I should move on to check every part of the carb with a rebuild kit?

Are these good steps to take, or should I look somewhere esle first?

Your diagnostic logic is improving. Those are valid concerns. However, if it ran semi ok with the choke on, its not fuel pressure. More likely you have a venturi orifice stopped up causing it to drip.

I will pick up a carb kit tonight, follow the haynes manual, and soak it good in carb cleaner. This is becoming less agravating and more fun!

Rebuilt the carb with a kit from a local auto part store. Float was way off according to the haynes manual. idle tube was plugged. Here is the update.

It runs at idle alone without help. If I give it gas it revs up, but kills while idling down. I also noticed, that the fuel filter, which is clear, has more gas in it than before.

With more gas in the filter, does that mean more gas is going into the carb? Would adjusting the mix in or out help with the killing after giving gas?

The vent from the fuel bowl should be connected to the cannister. Is the fuel filter a duel outlet ?? or one straight through?:cool:

If it is stalling after you tap the throttle, your base idle screw needs to be run in a little. Also check your throttle linkage to make sure all rods are free and not binding. Your carb overhaul kit should have come with a spec sheet for all of your base settings and adjustments. The float needle regulates the amount of fuel allowed into the fuel bowl. Your kit should have come with a nice little measuring stick to help get the float level correct.

Thanks...

along with the kit i was going to buy a new fuel filter. the filters there had 3 ports, and mine has 2 port (in and out. What is the fourth for and what does it go to?

the port that is on the double end and is off center goes to the return line, the center goes to the carp and the single end is the inlet. the off center return line must be at 12:00 , above the one that goes to the carb.:cool:
The return line should run down the frame to the fuel tank at the pick up/ sending unit.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom