Build Thread CJ7 restoration in progress- Advice please

Build Thread CJ7 restoration in progress- Advice please
Here are the final pics after I had some wet sanding, buffing, and polishing done after I removed the side body stripe kit. I left the hood stripe kit intact, as it was very expensive to do the hood stripes because of their width and most likely impossible to replicate the 3 tone Renegade letters. Got a sign maker to do a rubbing before removing them and had the replacements made up and installed. About $350 bucks.

I think they came out AWESOME. Couldn't be happier with the end results and how nice it looks after the buff job.

One other major life change: I've moved...to Chicago. Had a uhaul to pull so I decided to have the Jeep shipped. Check these out. Other than the Jeep, NOT MY CARS!

This truck is HUGE. Gotta love where the Jeep is in relation to the Lambo!

Last edited:
These are not the best pictures, but I picked up the Bestop hard top and door storage system. Goes together very easily and it works better than I imagined.

If space is an issue for storing your hardtop and doors, then this is a great system indeed. It also holds all your other :dung: as well in there and zips up all nice. Wheels lock it in place.

are you worried about moisture getting caught between the roll bar plates / carpet / tub? seems like if the carpet ever got wet the moisture could creep under the plates. just a thought

are you worried about moisture getting caught between the roll bar plates / carpet / tub? seems like if the carpet ever got wet the moisture could creep under the plates. just a thought

I did give this concern quite a bit of thought before I installed the roll bar over the carpet. My end conclusion is that it won't be an issue.

New metal was welded into the body floor and I put 3 coats of POR-15 down. I also put 3 coats of it on the bottom of the roll bar as well.

In addition, the carpet itself has a rubber coating on the bottom that does not absorb water.

Could I still get rust? Sure. But as I stated previously, it took nearly 27 years to rot out under the roll bar. I think I have taken care of it for at least 10 years more. I hope.

Bullseye,
I read every bit of your thread and great job! I'm currently in the middle of restoring my '84 CJ7 and threads like yours are helping me along! Although, mine is currently in pieces, I am in the process of doing the body work...great times! Anyways, great thread!

Glad some of my experiences are helping you out. It's been over a year since I started that restoration.

She's in the garage hibernating for the winter now. Can't wait to get her up and out come Spring!

That is a REALLY nice CJ7 . I have a 1983 CJ7 it is a Renegade as well and i am trying to restore the interior in it let me know if you have any tips you would like to share thanks

I'm not sure how far you want to take your restoration or how bad your interior is? Having said that, I would tell you to take your time. Nothing will screw up your restoration than half assing it because you are in a rush.

Off the top of my head:

Remove the roll bar and all the seats to see what you have under them. Be prepared for the worse.

I would def suggest buying at least a gallon of stripper. I bought a bunch of the smaller sizes not knowing how much I would need and that cost more than buying a large size. Let the stripper do the work for you.

Buy yourself a good heavy duty grinder and wire wheels.

Check out the complete stainless steel bolt kits in the Jeep parts mags. Although ACE hardware will be a great place to get all your bolts you will be going back and forth buying bolts you did not realize you needed. It will be cheaper and save time. I replaced all my bolts and screws with stainless steel.

I went with the POR15. It went down easily and worked very well. I am 100% happy with the results I got. There might be other alternatives out there- but I can only tell you what I went with.

Pull your dash and clean up the wires behind there. It will be easier to do it now with the interior stripped vs doing it later when your interior lights stop working. Pull the steering wheel vs cutting the dash.

Go with the hanging your dash method from the windshield. It works well. It was suggested to me and now I am suggesting it to you. Use your voice recorder on your cell or take really good notes when pulling each wire from the dash. After you get the dash off, immediately mark each wire. It will make things so much easier when you put it back together.

Finally, take pictures and more pictures of everything. Try to keep all the parts from each "section", ie) doors in one place and dash in another.

It's really not that hard. I only got in over my head when it came to welding so I hired that out. It also saved a lot of time to have the doors and roll bar sand blasted.

I really tried to document what I was doing in this thread so I hope it helps.

First welcome to the site. I believe what I can tell from the pictures, is that the caulk your talking about is actually from the manufacturer. Prob shouldn't remove it unless you Plan on replacing it. :)

Re: replacement carpet

looking for advice on the best replacement aftermarket carpet and where to order it

I used the "Auto Custom Carpet" kit with the molded massback and bought it at 4wd.com. I was very happy with it, looked great going in and still looks great 1.5 years later.

DO NOT BUY THE NIFTY PRO LINE BRAND! Horribly cheap.

I have not seen the Rugged Ridge brand so I cannot comment on it.

Those were the only 3 that fit my needs and I was satisfied with the ACC massback selection.

Hope that helps.

i dont know if i would go with carpet.... just my opinion...

it tends to HOLD water, andeven if you have all of your problem areas taken care of, theres ALWAYS going to be that ONE spot... and the process will start over...

i have yet to see a JEEP that had carpet, regardless of type, that didnt have rust in the tub...

personally, i am going to go with rhino-liner in mine when i get to that point... waterproof, durable and pretty damn cool too...

if there were a way to color OVER it i would, but black will work fine with my planned color scheme...

good thread btw... im going to follow this one...

did you ever get a welder?

i didnt know how to weld when i got mine.... and i cant believe how much stuff i have built with mine... all it takes is some time, patience and practice...

remember... never weld more than your willing to grind off in a day

good thread btw... im going to follow this one...

did you ever get a welder?

Go back to page 7 or 8 or so. Yes I got a welder and def got my $$$'s worth.

I finished this project almost 2 years ago... Time flies.:eek:

Some after shots
I am trying to replace a faulty door latch on my '82 CJ7 . Do you have any advice for getting the new latch on? I am having some difficulty fitting in the clips that hold the latch on from the inside of the door.

Forrester I see your in sw Arkanasas. How far from Texarkana are you?

Oh I'm really close...I'm just up the road in De Queen.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom