Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
I haven't decided what to do with the harness yet. I just used a bunch of wire last time and the manual and created my own. I'm most likely going to get a Painless kit and just modify it to suit me...

LOL -

I ran in the 1/4 mile at the Central Florida drag strip a few times (Bithlo) and my lowest ET was a 13.70. It would pull the front wheels off the ground, very scary at the end, just had to coast down and NOT use the brakes. I would race in 4L and only use 2nd and 3rd gear - like a powerglide... It had nitrous on it but I never had the balls to use it except in the mud or sand drags.

is that a mistype or did you really get 13 second quarters in low range?? what was your top speed thru the traps?

LOL - Not a miss print... This was using 4.56 gears. Very fast 60' time (less then 2 sec) but low trap speed. Around 100 maybe 103 (have to find the slip). Turning about 6300 at the 1320. Using 4 low there is no wheel spin and it just gets it! No top end though... Ran out of gear. It was damn scary!

thats what I was wondering...I race the mud pits in 4L, second gear. I normally run out of tire about 3/4 the way thru, even running WOT. I can't imagine trying the 1/4 mile in low range :lol:

I hit the rev limiter at about 1150 feet... Just stayed on it all the way. The soft touch limiter is a good thing! I only raced the 1/4 a few times. It was just too hard the old CJ - and scared the :dung: out of me slowing down... Now the sand drags are another story... I loved throwing rooster tails!!!

thats what I was wondering...I race the mud pits in 4L, second gear. I normally run out of tire about 3/4 the way thru, even running WOT. I can't imagine trying the 1/4 mile in low range :lol:
But what is your wheel speed in the mud? You get allot of fast wheel speed in the mud and don't travel much ground...

I dunno, I'm too wrapped up in trying to get down the track to see what the Speedo says...I just hammer the throttle and steer for the other side :) I know it throws a lot of mud out the back.
My new CDI ignition has a rev limiter on it, but I havent really tried it out on the street yet, much less in the mud. Its set right now for 5500 RPMs.

I'm thinking that I may try 4H first gear next race (in march or april and if I happen to be home for it) I've never been to sure if the engine will push the tires well enough with the 3:73 gears and 35" tires.

If you want to, move this to another thread. I really shouldn't keep cluttering up your posts...

Spent a little time tonight and removed just about all there is from the body tub. I pulled the tailgate - what a chore! I had forgotten about the 1/2" steel plate I had bolted to the gate to strengthen it for the spare tire mount... Damn it is heavy!

I then pulled the pedal assembly and the brake booster. Also removed almost all the other assorted bits and pieces that I could get to or wanted. Only thing left is the body bolts and maybe the flares.

Then, it's off to the shop to pull the tub, bring it back home and start the mechanical work.

Man I'm stoked!

we're all pulling for ya :)

uumm both???

It's ready to separate. Everything is removed and unbolted. Only thing left are two loosely attached body bolts. Next - loose the body tub!

It's not copying... It's following a good thing... :) I think it will make one heck of a clean install and they are even DOT legal! I'm purchasing LED's for the markers as well as the front turn signals...

Got the rear drum released and all rolls again. Now, just have to hook up with the guy who owns the shop that has the A-frame and I'm ready to strip it!

I'm still feeling a bit of collateral damage from this morning though! I smacked my head so hard on the roll cage I about knocked my self out! Damn my head hurts! :mad:

BTW - If anyone needs a drum unstuck - this guy is mighty handy to have around. Here he is with the tools he used to fix it. Not the absence of a torch! He is much too macho for that!

attachment.php

Got the rear drum released and all rolls again. Now, just have to hook up with the guy who owns the shop that has the A-frame and I'm ready to strip it!

I'm still feeling a bit of collateral damage from this morning though! I smacked my head so hard on the roll cage I about knocked my self out! Damn my head hurts! :mad:

BTW - If anyone needs a drum unstuck - this guy is mighty handy to have around. Here he is with the tools he used to fix it. Not the absence of a torch! He is much too macho for that!

attachment.php

about time he started helping you again. where has he been?

about time he started helping you again. where has he been?
I'm pretty sure he is one of those semi retired black ops guys... I said 'semi' because I don't think you ever get out of 'those' organizations completely... :D I think he was out doing some 'dirty work' or something... Either that or he was sleeping of a really, really bad drunk! Probably hit the Saki too hard or something... :laugh:

Man I wish I could find someone like that to give me a hand once in a while! Its good to have a strong helper around, make sure you keep him happy!

This is why you don't let people borrow your stuff, or if you do you hold them accountable (see attached pictures)! I've never used this trailer before, but as a thank you I'm going to repair the :dung: that is wrong with it. The lights are shot - he told me they we ok before but people have torn them up. And take a look at the jack. You can see the grinder in the back ground on the left- I was getting ready to grind the welds off...

The winch wires are shot and the gears are load as hell. It wouldn't even pull my CJ up on the trailer, I had to use the hold down straps to yank it up! I'm tired!!!

I'll make sure and take pics of the 'separation'... :)

Clickable Thumbnails

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom