Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
I got a little of the Transfer Case apart last night but stopped. I have been using my good digital Canon SLR camera for all my pics and I became tired of stopping, washing up, snapping pics, going back to work - then repeat... Crazy! :confused:

After work I'm going out to pick up a cheap throw away digital that I won't mind getting dirty and oily so I can keep going and snap pictures.

Couldn't drive over the hill to get to that parking spot. We can tell by the tire tracks you backed in. It's a Jeep, go over the mound. Lol

My back is hurting this evening so it's a 'take it easy night'... :mad:

I did test out the LED tail lights and snapped a few pics so you all could take a look.

Back-Up LEDs

attachment.php

Tail Light LEDs

attachment.php

Stop Light LEDs

attachment.php

All LEDs on

attachment.php

Couldn't drive over the hill to get to that parking spot. We can tell by the tire tracks you backed in. It's a Jeep, go over the mound. Lol

And for those of us that are not on a morphine high... TNole is referring to post #5 :laugh:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/cjs-cj5-rebuild-thread-487/#post1840

Imagine my surprise when I clicked the link (thanks Cj, I wasn't going to backtrack that far....)
:laugh: TNole, you are right, I did back in right there. I am a pretty firm believer in Tread Lightly, and that part of the beach (up and on the hill) is not for driving on. So forgive the use of reverse this once, OK? :chug:

Hey CJ those really bring the Bling :p
NO really those look great. I may have to get a set of those for my beast. :drool:

Gotta have bling! But the really cool thing, no bulbs to ever change, completely water proof, and the best - it is only about 1/2" deep if you cut a 4" hole to put them in! No more breaking tail lamps that hang off the back by 4.5" or so! I'm even thinking about building a recess and flush mounting them... :)

Just nit picking. Unfortunately my brother and I both have the nasty habit of finding the smallest things that are out of place. Love the Jeep though.

Those are the coolest lights I have ever seen. I like the idea of flush mounting them. Never did like the way tail lights stuck out on the jeep. How's the back?

I'll post up some of my side markers they are LED.
Bought them from checker or TS i forget which but everyone seems to carry them.
http://www.vehiclelight.com/1255.html
I had the regular blub type and they are bright, the LED one are like holy :dung:!

yhst-5253399658814_2032_18666824

Last edited:
The tank and other items were stripped from the frame tonight. I hope to have the engine and exhaust pulled soon so I can complete the tear down.

Then the frame will be bare and ready for sand blasting.

So - the question of the day is?

Frame paint or powder coat (and why)?

I already have my thoughts but I want to hear yours... :)

from what i hear powder coat can take a beating.

I'd coat it with POR-15. Easier to touch up when it gets scratched than powder-coating. And won't promote rust if you drag the frame over a nasty rock and scratch thru the powder-coat to the frame.

I went with Por because I believe it is better at withstanding scratches and probably a lot cheaper. Also, like MLCJ5 said, MUCH easier to touch up IF it does get scratched.

The Por-15 is not UV rated so it needs a top coat of regular paint. Otherwise it will peel off. I know the frame is under the jeep but I would still paint over the por-15.

POR only needs a top-coat if its going to be exposed to sunlight (UV). Unless your going to roll the Jeep on a regular basis, there is really no need to topcoat it when used on a frame.

I vote paint. Sooner or later you're going to do something to that frame that will require you grind off the powder coat, then I's going to look like :dung:. Also, It's going to take hits and twieks, will chip here and there, and water will work It's way under the coating and start rusting. Paint is cheap, easy to fix and easy to sand off when a quick mod or weld is needed.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom