Detailed Dana 44 Front Swap?

Detailed Dana 44 Front Swap?
Posi - do you have the originals? We can edit the post.

I did save the photos from the hosting site. Their in a folder I would have to go through to find, their in among other photos of my build.

Just a side note, I have a driver side front wagon 44 shaft that is cut down by 4" and resplined I'd be willing to sell.

Has anyone else used an outboarding kit and a Narrow Track Wagoneer front axle? The pictures I find online range from totally normal looking to absolutely crazy. How weird does it look with 33s? Do you notice any increase in stability? I am a new father and want to take my son on the trail so I am again pondering the wider axle and springs for strength and stability.

Has anyone else used an outboarding kit and a Narrow Track Wagoneer front axle? The pictures I find online range from totally normal looking to absolutely crazy. How weird does it look with 33s? Do you notice any increase in stability? I am a new father and want to take my son on the trail so I am again pondering the wider axle and springs for stability
My cut down 44 is 60” wide in the front and 58” wide in the rear. Ive taken my son and wife on all the trails in Moab the forum group has gone and never felt lacking in stability.

My cut down 44 is 60” wide in the front and 58” wide in the rear. Ive taken my son and wife on all the trails in Moab the forum group has gone and never felt lacking in stability.
That is the same dimensions as a Narrow Track Wagoneer, right? Do you have pictures? And what size tire are you running?

That is the same dimensions as a Narrow Track Wagoneer, right? Do you have pictures? And what size tire are you running?
Tire size Im running 35/12.50r15 ( running spring over axle on mine. ) I know youre going spring under axle. Maybe in the future I will be going 3 link in the front and 4 link in the rear. Right now I like my SOA.
Both of these jeeps in the pictures are the same width in front the black jeep has a little wider in the rear. After work I can get better pictures of my jeep if you want.

Attachments

• DA523ED7-6610-4FD7-B327-EB6F4B9AEECB.jpeg
    DA523ED7-6610-4FD7-B327-EB6F4B9AEECB.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 11
That is the same dimensions as a Narrow Track Wagoneer, right? The narrow track wagoneer is 58 in the front and
73 Wagoneer frnt-57.3" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Wagoneer frnt-59" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Cherokee (full size) frnt-58.8' rr-57.5"
'76-91 Wagoneer, '80+ Cher frnt-59.4" rr-57.8"

73 Wagoneer frnt-57.3" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Wagoneer frnt-59" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Cherokee (full size) frnt-58.8' rr-57.5"
'76-91 Wagoneer, '80+ Cher frnt-59.4" rr-57.8"

Around 81-82 the fronts become driver drop and the rears become centered from being passenger drop.

Centered rears were a mix of AMC20 and Dana 44s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tire size Im running 35/12.50r15 ( running spring over axle on mine. ) I know youre going spring under axle. Maybe in the future I will be going 3 link in the front and 4 link in the rear. Right now I like my SOA.
Both of these jeeps in the pictures are the same width in front the black jeep has a little wider in the rear. After work I can get better pictures of my jeep if you want.
More pictures would be great!

Heres a couple pictures

Attachments

• 77939D92-DB1B-47F9-A1AB-1C6369C57785.jpeg
    77939D92-DB1B-47F9-A1AB-1C6369C57785.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 7296B3F1-982F-498B-BEB6-FEBEFFCAEAC4.jpeg
    7296B3F1-982F-498B-BEB6-FEBEFFCAEAC4.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm in the middle of a similar project. I chose to shorten the long side of my 1979 wagoneer axle by 5 inches. I measured 32" on the wagoneer spring center-line and the CJ at 27". Five inches off the long tube, with CJ outers with scout outer axles gives you 54.5" WMS to WMS. Another benefit to taking 5" off the short side is it allows you to use a long side shaft from a 1971 to 1977 bronco and you don't have to have any machine work done. If you want you can go to wide trac width later by switching to chevy spindles and outer axles with f-AMC 150 hubs.

I'm using 1974 jeep Dana 30 steering knuckles. I had to ream them for over the knuckle steering to keep the tie rod from making contact with the differential cover.

For more information to this post and those monitoring it for axle upgrades I went about upgrading my 1985 CJ7 wide-track a little differently. Still wanting to retain the original character of my CJ, I didn't want to go the full 4" wider that YJ & TJ's are but wanted to retain the 1982-1986 wide-track stance.

The front axle in my CJ is a 1976 Chevrolet K20 4x4 camper special Dana 44 out of a long-bed 3/4 ton pickup. It originally was equipped with 8-lug hubs, stubs and lockouts. I shortened the long side (drivers) tube by 9" and then re-installed the knuckle on that side. The Chevy was already set up for SOA (Spring-Over) from the factory up front so the spring pad cast into the carrier housing was perfectly setup already. I moved the drivers perch and centered it under the CJ7 .

I had the corresponding 9" removed from the inner axle shaft and re-splined then re hardened since they are machined, not rolled I lost about 10% strength in that area, compared to rolled splines. This cost under $200 to have done at the time, circa 2007. Then in order to save money and time, I bought 297X U joints and outer stubs from WARN that fit CJ7 1980 and up and re-used the Jeep CJ outer knuckles, rotors, Mile Marker hubs and parts.

I had a friend who owned a welding shop at the time weld up trusses with high-nickel rod some crossover high-steering arms and components to the CJ outer knuckles and ran with heavy wall Chromolly steering linkage for many years this way. Never had a problem and never broke anything. I had keepers on the 5-bolt hubs and they were the cast steel Mile Markers so they never shattered even with 35" tires on some nasty trails out here in the west. They handled all the V8 power I had at the time too.

Fast forward to now: 10/2021

I am replacing all the outer CJ7 knuckles, rotors and brakes with Modine 1/2-3/4-Ton Dana 44 parts now that are flat-top machined and tapped knuckles from a Chevy Dana 44 to upgrade the stubs and hubs. They will be 30-spline Warn hubs with 30-Spline 297X sized CTM super U joints to the mix for the ultimate in strength. I already have Spicer R & P along with an ARB air locker carrier. The steering linkage will all be upgrading to 1-ton ball joint steering, so even the steering will get a bump in beef.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
For the rear axle upgrade, I took another different path. AMC20 rear axles were notoriously weak with a couple fatal flaws that aren't really correctable in the overall design scheme of things. It's easy enough to change out splined axle shafts with one-piece flanged Chromolly or 1540 steel shafts but that won't correct the biggest fault that AMC had with their model 20 rear end. The casting and axle tubes are just too small and thin to withstand any abuse, thus they flex and in extreme cases, can even break the carrier housing. In 2006 I had gone to the dunes to play and got a little too much "air" under the ole' CJ. When I landed it tweaked the axle tubes and cracked the carrier housing where the tubes go into the housing all the way to the cover flange. The axle started leaking immediately so I silicone sealed it up to get home, A 3 hour drive down coast highway to home. On that drive, the rear axle started to make noises so I knew the internals were on their last gasp. I parked the CJ until I could get back to fixing it.

Looking around, I noticed that the "Cash for Clunkers" government buy-back program was in full swing and people were trading in really nice cars or SUV's for a huge payout towards a "new" supposedly more efficient replacement vehicle. I took a look around the salvage yards and discovered that in order to qualify for this GOVERNMENT CHEESE program, it came with a catch. The dealers taking these beauties in were required to pour silica sand into the crankcase and run the motor, therefore destroying the engine and it's resale value! This was to make sure these vehicles motors wouldn't return to the highways and byways of American public roads. An ABSOLUTE GOVERNMENT CRIME as far as a gearhead like myself is concerned!!!!

This caused certain vehicle populations to EXPLODE in salvage yards across the country. I noticed for one that the Ford Explorers were one of the highest turn-ins for this program ever and as a result, salvage yards were selling parts from them at "giveaway" prices. I picked up a Ford Sterling 8.8 axle with disc brakes complete including parts of the suspension still attached for a mere $100! The vehicle it was removed from was a 2001 Explorer XLT 4x4 with only 87K on the clock! It was turned in for the GOVERNMENT CHEESE bonus of up to $4,000 more on trade towards a new vehcile.

Enough on the back story:

I had the passenger (long side) shaft and housing shortened to use two drivers side shafts, bought a spare drivers side shaft and re-drilled them to 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I bought ARP 3.25" long speed-nut style lug studs and installed them in the new holes. Stitch welded with low hydrogen-Nickel rod the axle tubes to the carrier housing and re-configured the hard brake lines to fit the CJ7 . Grinding off the spring perches and re-centering them to the CJ7 springs, I now have an axle that is not only stronger than the AMC20 but stronger and beefier than the Dana 44 's that cost a whole lot more for a CJ wide-track! Shortening the rear axle had three major effects:

1. It pretty much centered the axle's drive line with the Transfer Case output.
2. it is so close to the factory wide-track width, (only 5/8" wider over all) not noticeable.
3. 4-Wheel disc brakes!

Using Rubicon TJ Wrangler rear brake cables adapted to fit the parking brake on the CJ and re-using all the hard lines that came with the Ford 8.8, I was able to make the brake system look and work factory-like ONLY BETTER NOW! It's modern, has larger diameter axle tubes that won't bend anywhere near as easy as the spindly excuse on the old AMC20 . It has a Detroit Locker I installed and came with matching 4.10 gears to the front 4.10's in the GM Camper Special Dana 44 . What more could anybody want!

To top it all off, I installed a heavy cast iron cover both front & rear to protect my new investments. The shock mounts are attached to the spring plates now and I installed mini skids to protect the lower eyes. It would be super easy to do a SOA and have totally protected axle U bolts with nothing to get hung up on if I were to want. I like the SUA in the rear with the longer shocks, it adds a great deal to side-hill stability at the Jeeps height and totally prevents axle wrap from damaging the driveshaft U joints.

Last hints:

Get under a turbo T-Bird or an Aerostar van to snag the flange/U joint adapter so you can use a flange style pinion yolk that comes with the Ford 8.8 in junkyards. It's usually under $5 at the time you get your axle. Especially if you leave it attached to the 8.8 at checkout.

What you are looking for if you want a Ford 8.8 in your CJ:

For disc brakes, look for a 1995-2001 2 or 4 door. Has 31 spline 1.32" dia. shafts.
For drums, look for a 1991-1994, they are usually even cheaper than the disc brake units.
Don't forget to make sure it has all the hard brake lines and hoses with it.
Look for common gearing of 3.55, 3.73 & 4.10's everywhere.
There are a few that are even higher, (numerically lower below 3.55).
If you want to install a lunchbox locker, look for an "open" carrer model.
If you want to rebuild the Ford Limited slip unit, find one with it inside.
You cannot add a lunchbox "aussie" etc. to a Limited slip carrier so be sure what you want.
Prices have risen a little in the intervening 15 years since I did this but they are still many times well under $200-250 for the complete axle. Especially on 1/2 price or sale days.

Bottom line:

Hard to get this much beef for so cheap that needs very little work to fit in a CJ wide-track. If you were to stick with 60" wide "narrow track" SJ full size Dana 44 up front, you could just leave the Ford 8.8 AS-IS, without narrowing it and it would be close enough.

The next closest cheap options to this besides finding a pull Dana 44 out of a 1986 CJ7 or CJ8 would be to snag the Dana 44 out of a late 80's XJ Cherokee or go with the 8.25 that has disc brakes from a 2002-2007 Liberty. It will not have as many locker or axle shaft options as the Dana 44 or 8.8 has due to popularity with both the XJ/TJ crowd and the Mustang crowd.

RR

Last edited:
  • Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom