Engine noise (exhaust leak?) under load

lhfarm

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1947 CJ2a
1949 CJ3a
1979 CJ7
Trying to get my 79 CJ7 Golden Eagle back to a daily driver. New fuel pump, water pump, and steering gear box. Running OK after warming up (I'm looking at choke issues). Now have a noise coming from the engine when under load. Sort of a low pop.

I have looked at the exhaust, but don't see any problems. I'm assuming it might be an exhaust manifold leak. I can't hear anything with the engine at idle. Is there a way to trace the noise without strapping myself under the hood and having someone drive me down the road :eek:?

Thanks,
Barry

Is there a way to trace the noise without strapping myself under the hood and having someone drive me down the road :eek:?

If you do that... YouTube link please :cool:

Try out of gear and manually pulling the throttle to see if you can hear from under the hood at RPM... Or if it's just load, you can pull the manifold off and see if a "burn trail" exits somewhere... Or use the tricks to check (that i don't know) with a fluid of some sort (hopefully another member will see this and help me out here) because i would think if there's a path to leak, it will leak at idle too, just maybe no severe enough to "hear" it...

At any rate, this will bump you to the top for another chance at a better :notworthy: reply :cool:

:chug:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom