Gearing and lockers mod

Gearing and lockers mod
If your T-18 came out of a CJ it would have a gear on the output of the tranny. Even if someone removed the gear the tip of the output shaft would be threaded so you could put a large nut on it to hold the gear.
If you have a ford T-18 then the output shaft is not threaded. It would fit into a ford TCase. A ford T-18 will fit up to a Jeep Bellhousing. When I put a Ford T-18 into a CJ7 I had to drill and tap 4 holes. There were flat places on the bellhousing for those holes, almost like the factory would have to drill and tap holes there for some applications.
A stock Jeep T-18 does have a plate on the back. This is like an adapter and it extends down to where the tranny mounts to the skid plate.

Also how did you get such accurate numbers for your gear ratios? Did you count revolutions and just round off to the numbers you expected?

If your T-18 came out of a CJ it would have a gear on the output of the tranny. Even if someone removed the gear the tip of the output shaft would be threaded so you could put a large nut on it to hold the gear.
If you have a ford T-18 then the output shaft is not threaded. It would fit into a ford TCase. A ford T-18 will fit up to a Jeep Bellhousing. When I put a Ford T-18 into a CJ7 I had to drill and tap 4 holes. There were flat places on the bellhousing for those holes, almost like the factory would have to drill and tap holes there for some applications.
A stock Jeep T-18 does have a plate on the back. This is like an adapter and it extends down to where the tranny mounts to the skid plate.

Also how did you get such accurate numbers for your gear ratios? Did you count revolutions and just round off to the numbers you expected?

The end of the output shaft is threaded but does not have the gear, Novak said I could more than likely use the gear from the T-150 , I checked and it fits the shaft. I went through all the gears and counted the revolutuions and then search the net for the exact ratio that came close to the revolutions and of course found reverse once the output changed directions. I just hope this is the CJ T-18 and not the Scout T-18 , my main concern in this is that the input shaft measures 6.5" from the face of the tranny to the tip and from what I read the CJ T-18 was longer. I'll keep doing my research.

I'm definately going to buy you a cold one on the trip this coming summer :chug:

Novak said I could more than likely use the gear from the T-150 ,

I just hope this is the CJ T-18 and not the Scout T-18 ,
Yes you can you the gear from the T-150 . It would have to be the same size, same number of teeth, same everything.

As for a Scout I don't have much info. I used to have a Scout but it was an automatic. I can't tell you much about the Scout T-18 . But I can tell you about driving a Scout through rush hour traffic in downtown Minneapolis with NO brakes at all, no parking brakes. Just in case this happens to you let me tell you down shifting doesn't help with an automatic. You can't even put it in park when you are driving, it just makes a clicking sound and you keep going. Now that was a scary ride. When I came to a red light there were cars waiting for the light to change so I drove in the parking lane hoping I could make it cross the light without crashing. Just as I got in the intersection the light changed to green. I make it across the intersection and there is a parked car in front of me so I need to get out of the parking lane. I should have cut off the guy in the driving lane even if I had to accelerate. Instead he accelerates from the light. I honk at him because I MUST get into his lane. He doesn't know I don't have brakes and he's not about to let me in. I see there are no pedestrians on the sidewalk so I swerve to the right to avoid the parked car and I drive down the sidewalk. There is a big wall made with railroad ties. I aim my Scout between that and a telephone pole. I brace for impact and much to my surprise I only break off both my rear view mirrors. I then swerve back onto the street. Now I am going much slower. I finally stop right in front of a Midas Brake shop. I turn off the engine, get out and by the time I get to the sidewalk a cop drives by. He obviously didn't see me driving on the sidewalk.
I then call up a friend and say "if you want my Scout you can have it for free. The keys are in it". I also tell him it has no brakes and the story I have been through.
That was when I was young and stupid. Now my life is much different: I am old and stupid.

Last edited:
The ford T-18 has a longers input shaft and the CJ T-18 has short input shaft. The CJ shaft is very short and is why the CJ T-18 is worth more money. The front input shaft can be changed to the short CJ but its pricey. I think the input shaft and rev and 1st need to be changed if I remember right. Novac will have the parts. I would also consider getting the correct T-18

The adapter from the T-18 to Transfer Case the Dana 20 and the Dana 300 is also another expensive piece if you do not have it already. I think these are close to $400 if you do not have them.

I have a T-18 with Dana 20 combo if interested. I purchased for a spare for my T-18 . But the granny gear is not the same I have the 6 : 1 and the spare is 4 : 1 ......... so I am going to sell mine if you need one. Came out a CJ5 because they needed auto Transmission due to injury. I have cleaned it up and appears to be all there. Needs a shifter for Transmission ($50 new at novac) and needs the vert shaft and knob for the Dana 20 . The long horizontal shaft (unique to CJ) are there and complete. The unit is clean in and out asking $800 if you are intersted.

The input shaft for the CJ T-18 is, shortest of all the T18s and is 7.43" long.

Here are some other T-18 Jeep notes:
Jeep T-18 Identify Facts & Model Descriptions

Jeep T-18 IDENTIFICAION:
1….Has Rectangle, Flat Side Top cover mount casing
2….Texas mount pattern to the bell housing, narrow on drivers side.
3….CJ version has 7.43” stick out from the Transmission wall, shortest of all versions made

Granny Gears 17 & 23 teeth, the first input gear, 17 teeth is 6.32 and 23 teeth is 4.03

Confirmed the T-18 1b used in jeep, novak thought it was all narrow but mine is Wide Ratio Per Yr???

Top Mount Cover…. Jeep is Sq and the Ford and IH both have a bump on one side

Parts Via Novak
New straight shifter… $54 via novak and the tip end has lots of the play, so good to get new.
Parts are avail for T-18 even the granny gears and the input gears are the trickest to do since there are many combos. Novak has the both granny gears.

Hello everyone; thought I would give an update on the T-18 . I got all the bits and pieces needed, mainly a new pilot bushing from parts mike. I got the tranny up in place but I just can't get it to go the last 1/4" or so; any suggestions? I am trying to install it all together, the Transfer Case and tranny in one piece (frikn heavy!!!)

Sounds like clutch alignment problem.

I agree, clutch alignment. Since it is only .25 you should be able to hook up the clutch linkage, disengage the clutch and wrench it together... :)

I agree, clutch alignment. Since it is only .25 you should be able to hook up the clutch linkage, disengage the clutch and wrench it together... :)

Thanks guys, I will hook the linkage up in the morning and see if I can get it all aligned and bolted up. I will let you all know.

Well I finally got the T-18 put in; what a fun time that ended up being. I checked the clutch alignment and it was still good. The hang up was coming from the throwout bearing so I put the bellhousing on the tranny to make sure it would stay aligned and then put the tranny up. I also detached the Transfer Case , once I did those two things it went together in less than 30 minutes. I'll keep you all posted on the rest of the progress of getting it all buttoned up.

Well all I got left is get the driveshafts modified and come up with a good way to lower the skid plate and I will be back on the road...

I was wondering if any of you knew where I can get the Transmission mount and the torque bracket for the T-18 ; seems like all the sites I research show a couple different mounts and I really don't want to order it and have it be the wrong part, nothing more frustrating than that. Any info would be great.

Try 4WD.com I think they are all the same I have a T-18 IN MY 86 CJ7

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom