HELP! CJ Won't Idle and is Trying to Start in ACC On Position!

HELP! CJ Won't Idle and is Trying to Start in ACC On Position!
I dunno this cj has been nothing but trouble since I got it. I just spent almost three weeks replacing the dang Transmission just to come out on the othr side worse off. I am thinking it may be time to throw in the rowell and get a newer wrangler or XJ.

I dunno this cj has been nothing but trouble since I got it. I just spent almost three weeks replacing the dang Transmission just to come out on the othr side worse off. I am thinking it may be time to throw in the rowell and get a newer wrangler or XJ.
:laugh: welcome to the wonderful world of CJs, but don't do that. we'll help you fix it, how did you wire up the hei? did you use some wiring for the motorcraft module? if so you most likely aren't gettin a full 12v to the dist. thats not to say that there also isn't :dung: in the carburetor. but if you rewired it some and it will idle after that i suspect that you still have a small wiring issue, along with junk in the carb.

Ok so back to mobile with the cj now it is time to try to figure his out. Does anyone know what the timing should be set to for an hei? Michaela has a family mechanic and he told me he set it 5deg below tdc.

Also there is a wire coming out of the manifold directly below the carb that looks like it was cut. I never noticed this before and I can't find any wire that it looks like it used to be attached to.

Alright guys I am posting some videos of what the thing is doing. THe first vid is just the engine cranking. THis is without any fuel coming out of the carb or in the intake. The second is what the engine is doing when you either pump the gas or pour gas into the carb, it seems to turn then seize this cannot be good. :confused::confused:

It is no doubt that something is wrong in the carb as now the jets will not even squirt out if you pump the gas but this thing where the engine is just stopping while it is cranking has me very worried. Is it possible that the 4.0 starter i have on right now is just bad?
YouTube - MVI_0002.AVI
YouTube - MVI_0005.AVI

I was thinking that maybe the timing was 180 off. What do u mean a shim between the starter the engine?the starter bolts straight into the bell housing. I could maybe put some washers betwen the starter and the space plate???

I like the timing at 180 idea, find TDC compression and see if it lines up with #1.:cool:

I was thinking that maybe the timing was 180 off. What do u mean a shim between the starter the engine?the starter bolts straight into the bell housing. I could maybe put some washers betwen the starter and the space plate???

could be 180 out. have you pulled the dist. since you changed the out the tranny? if you haven't and it was running fine before then how did it get 180 out? to shim a starter you buy shims and put em between the block and the starter. wait a minute starter bolts on a jeep are horizontal not vertical like a chevy, might not work.

could be 180 out. have you pulled the dist. since you changed the out the tranny? if you haven't and it was running fine before then how did it get 180 out? to shim a starter you buy shims and put em between the block and the starter. wait a minute starter bolts on a jeep are horizontal not vertical like a chevy, might not work.

The mechanic Michaela took it to told me he timed it to 5 BTDC which it needs to be 8 or 9 witht he hei problem was the vacuum port was against the block so we pulled it out and rotated it. But the prob was dad accidentally hooked them one position to the left wrong in the firing order so we fixed that today.

Now the problem is currently the carb not feeding the engine. Its to the point now that it isnt even squirting fuel into the intake. I bought a rebuild kit today for 15 bucks but I have never rebuilt a carb so no guarentee this will fix the issue. I may end up buying one from a guy a little north from me he offered 135 shipped for his carb on his AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l currently running so that would be a bolt on affair if this doesn't work.

I am still confused about this starter shim deal. Neither the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l starter or 4.0 starter bolt into the engine, they both bolt into the belhousing

you would still put shims between the starter and the tranny but in the case of the jeep it would not move the starter down and away from the flywheel, it would move it back away from the flywheel

Oh I see well either way the issue where that came up turned out to be improperly placed wires. Now she fires up every try with some gas down the intake now on to the carb woes.

the rebuild kit for the carb is $15, what you got to loose?
is there gas in the tank? does it come out of the fuel line if you take the line off the carb and turn it over?
forget the shim thing it has nothing to do with the problem you had.:cool:

The mechanic Michaela took it to told me he timed it to 5 BTDC which it needs to be 8 or 9 witht he hei problem was

the vacuum port was against the block so we pulled it out and rotated it. But the prob was dad accidentally hooked them one position to the left wrong in the firing order so we fixed that today.

Now the problem is currently the carb not feeding the engine. Its to the point now that it isnt even squirting fuel into the intake. I bought a rebuild kit today for 15 bucks but I have never rebuilt a carb so no guarentee this will fix the issue. I may end up buying one from a guy a little north from me he offered 135 shipped for his carb on his AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l currently running so that would be a bolt on affair if this doesn't work.

I am still confused about this starter shim deal. Neither the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l starter or 4.0 starter bolt into the engine, they both bolt into the belhousing

the rebuild kit for the carb is $15, what you got to loose?
is there gas in the tank? does it come out of the fuel line if you take the line off the carb and turn it over?
forget the shim thing it has nothing to do with the problem you had.:cool:

Yep fuel is getting through the mech pump and to the carb. The fuel bowl isfilled with gas but no fuel is being deliveredto the intake.

So far this carb issue is the only problem I haven't directly caused. I diet the weird starting In the acc position and the thing I put on he video was because the wires were in the wrong order because when we reclocked it so that it can be timed without hitting the engine block.

I rebuilt the carb today. It was way easier than I thought it would be. now it is idleling but not well even after adjustment. I am suspecting(after my uncle looked at it) that the fuel pump is pumping but not enough to get the proper presure. I don't have a fuel pressure guage to confirm but I think I am just going to go ahead and replace it any how.

THe timing seems to be close if not correct as the engine doesn't diesel when you shut it down but who knows. It will definitely be my next step after the fuel pump.

New pump is in. It definitely helped I think when the feed hose coming from the pump to the filter got spongy some of that bad hose shaving got into the pump. Its still not idling my next step is replace the fuel filter just for good measure.

She still is not idling without giving it some extra gas. It was sitting during that period where it would get hot one day and cold another so I am wondering if maybe condensation accumulated in the tank and got water in my gas. Once I get some shafts made I will fill up the tank with fresh gas and some treatment and see if it clears up. If that doesnt work I am just going to take to a mechanic and let him charge me an arm and a leg to get it going again as I am about fed up working on it. I want to move on to interior and that awesome job the PO did to the hard top by drilling holes in it and caulking the windsheild up

Would a faulty ignition control module perhaps cause the truck to cut out during idle?

the starter being to tight against the flywheel could have possibly had something to do with the motor dragging while trying to start. it was a possibility i threw out there and explained to him. anyhow glad you got that issue fixed, i agree with IO rebuild kit is cheap give that a shot.

the starter being to tight against the flywheel could have possibly had something to do with the motor dragging while trying to start. it was a possibility i threw out there and explained to him. anyhow glad you got that issue fixed, i agree with IO rebuild kit is cheap give that a shot.

I did go with the rbuild(post35) and thanks all theories are always welcomed. It just turned out to be missarranged spark plug wires.

Last night after the fuel filter was replaced I fnally got idle. Still not running tip top but still haven't timed it either. So here is the order of events I theorize caused the trouble:
Fisrt I think the carb was on it's way out the bottom was filled with a slimey gunk and was pretty nasty. My uncle who supervised me rebuilding the carb said that this indicated that water had found it's way into the bowl. So the carb needed an overhaul

then once I got the carb all good the fuel lines were sending gas through the pump and filter but not with enough pressure because the rubber hose from the hard feed lines to the pump was collapsing and spongy. I replaced the Lin but some of the particles from it must have fallen into the line during removal which got into and ruined the pump. Then once I replace the pump I didn't think to change the fuel filter. When I pulled it lAst night rubber bits came out of the feed side so that is why ituink everything stems from that faulty house.

Still have to fine tune the idle on the carb and get the timing spot on but as of right now the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is idling even once the choke is dissengaged

Ok this is getting stupid. Turned out my spark plugs were fouled and the timing was way off. I have it set now to 8BTDC and replaced them with champions. Now the jeep runs great under load. As in if I am driving runs great but when I slow down or let off the gas at low speeds it dies on me.

What would make the jeep run great at high speeds but then make it die when you let off the gas and it goes back to idle? Is my carb out of adjustment???? If i just let it Idle normally at operating temp(when it will) and it sounds (by ear) that the RPMS are up too high but I could be wrong I am not a mechanic.

Other than that it runs great. The Ax15 is smooth and has good shift points. Its just the Damn thing cuts out at about anything below 30 miles an hour and I have to keep reving the engine at stop lights, and this is grabbing nagative attention from the PO PO as well as making my CJ look like a beater.

I am hoping that it is the 1/4 of a tank that sat in tank from about march to last week just got water in it or something and the gas is bad. But I have filled the tank up with new gas last week and then put somemore in it today and it doesnt seem to make a diff. I am thinking that somewhere there is a blockage in the fuel line preventing me from getting the right pressure.

The mechanic today said that I have air leaks in the intake causing it to suck in air and that he can't help me unless I have him replace the intake first. WOuld the intake sucking air in from say where the intake meets the head explain why it wont idle but will run great at load?

I can't figure this out. I know my exhaust manifold is warped and needs to be replaced and now if my mechanic is right I need to replace the intake or just replace the gasket. And since the intake and the exhaust have to come off I am thinking I might as well put a 4.0 head on it. but I just want my cj to run help me !!!:confused::confused::confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom