keys left in and Jeep is dead

keys left in and Jeep is dead

Jessica

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 304 v8, T150 transmission aka Mr.Crabs
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (for towing toys)
2009 Nissan Cube (daily driver)
1965 and 1964 Vespa 150 scooters (need work!!)
:(

I accidentally left the keys in the ignition (in the non locked position) and now my Jeep is dead. I thought it would just be the battery so I took the battery in to be charged and put it back in and tried to start it. No luck. It was sort of trying to turn over but really weakly and then just stopping completely. I just replaced the ignition coil (last week before the keys got left in). I'm not really mechanical (although the Chilton manual is on it's way) but I'm trying to learn. Tried jumping the solenoid and a bit more clicking. Did I fry something in the ignition? I looked at the ignition module and although it looks old (said Wells on it and the plugs were sort of sooty) nothing looked melted. Where is a good place to start looking???

can you "pop the clutch"? get it moving downhill, or tow it slowly behind another vehicle, key in the "on"position, clutch in, in 2nd gear, or 1st, then let the clutch out..with the vehicle moving it should turnover..and start. at that point, you have an ignition, starter problem.

Sometimes when the starter is going you can get started if you bang on the starter with a hammer (while someone is turning the key). you'll likely need to use a hammer and a pry bar to get the force to the right spot.

might be a ground issue. check that the ignition coil is grounded, check all connections for tightness.

Oh..re reading your post it sounds like you might still have battery issue, did you try to jump start it (jumper cables, other car running)?

Last edited:
I didn't try to jump it-- I thought since I just had the battery fully charged and tested that it was ok. I'll try it tomorrow. I was just so frustrated because I was headed out the door to finally get it registered and it wouldn't start. Hopefully when my repair manual gets here I'll learn more about fixing things. I did check the wires coming from the distributor cap and 6 looked clean but 2 looked a bit corroded...I don't know if that means anything. Would leaving the keys in have messed something in the ignition or started up?

I accidentally left the keys in the ignition (in the non locked position) and now my Jeep is dead. I thought it would just be the battery so I took the battery in to be charged and put it back in and tried to start it. No luck. It was sort of trying to turn over but really weakly and then just stopping completely. I just replaced the ignition coil (last week before the keys got left in). I'm not really mechanical (although the Chilton manual is on it's way) but I'm trying to learn. Tried jumping the solenoid and a bit more clicking. Did I fry something in the ignition? I looked at the ignition module and although it looks old (said Wells on it and the plugs were sort of sooty) nothing looked melted. Where is a good place to start looking???

I would start at looking at your connections on battery and on the starter and solenoid. If all those look good and are tight I would do a double check on the start solenoid they are known to be a problem. I would also try tapping on the starter while someone is turning it over if it turns over than the starter is going out.

There are other things to check but these are the basics (had some of the same issues on mine). Ended up being both the start solenoid and starter.

I'm betting its still the batt try jumping it off, and check your connections as suggested above. If the batt is older and it got completely drained, then sat for a while its possible that a cell went bad or just didn't come up to voltage after a quick charge.

DROOOID2

They said it was fully charged and tested ok. Seems like after a few unsuccessful attempts to start the battery does get drained pretty quickly. Maybe it is time for a new one. I wish I could get it starting on the first try every time. It did start pretty well on hot days and always started right up when the engine was warm. On a cooler day or after a few days of not being used it took several attempts to start. Once it did start it ran like a champ! The steering on the other hand is a different story. I was looking at it today and noticed duct tape on the steering shaft. That can't be great! I'd like to get the steering tightened up too...guess I'll worry about that after I get it started. :)

Also I forgot to mention that there was some white smoke coming out of the carb/ air intake area. There is usually some white smoke that comes out of the exhaust when starting too. So maybe it's just normal and I haven't noticed it coming from the carb area before???

Jessica,
start with the simple things first. Any wire, connection or terminal has to be clean to order to work properly. Think of a garden hose with a kink in it. Water will flow but not very well. Same logic applies to ALL wiring.

A metal finger nail file, piece of emery paper, small wire brush and a can of contact cleaner are your best friends. ANY connection that doesn't look clean and bright needs your attention. Use your cleaning tools and go through all the wires and make sure everything is as good as you can get it. If you cannot clean it then replace it.

Battery cables must be clean. The ends should be clean and bright. That goes for the battery sides and the opposite ends where they connect. Often a cable will corrode under the insulation. Water wicks down and corrodes the cable where you cannot see. In any case, I`d bet that your cables are old and ought to be replaced. Regardless of the battery condition.

An afternoon spent doing this will make a world of difference in how your Jeep starts and runs.

As you learn you will see how everything works together. But you gotta start with a clean baseline first. Sort of like like putting on clean clothes without taking a shower. You will look good but still smell.

Do this cleaning job first before spending any money. Except for battery cables or any wire that needs to be obviously replaced.

Jessica,
it sounds like your Jeep is going to need some TLC. But you are already ahead of the game.

1st you purchased a manual. 2nd you have the folks here on the site to help you along.

Important thing is to try and fix one thing at a time. Let`s get the Jeep starting and running as best as we can with what you have. Then we start picking things off your list (you do have a list, don`t you ?) one at a time.

Example;
A carb should be able to be adjusted (look in the manual you purchased) so that cold starts are problem free. The carb might need to be rebuilt or could simply need to be adjusted in order for it to work well. A few minutes checking it out is a good start.

Perhaps you have a vacuum line(s) that need(s) attention. Lot`s of little things that you and us can deal with one at a time.

Manual in one hand and keyboard in the other and you will be all set. Nice thing is that Jeeps are easy to work on and parts are fairly inexpensive.

I`ll bet that in short order you will have a fine running, looking and performing machine. But you gotta start with the basics first.

Then we can move on to what may be bigger issues like white smoke. But girl, find out what the duct tape is doing. That might not be safe.

Sorry if already ruled out or not applicable...

1) Check points in distributor Clean, regap or replace...
2) Check Ignition Coil... (I know you said its new, but depending on how long and in what position the points were in while sitting, it could be fried..)

Both are what caused this issue for me after the same: left keys in car ignition on... Also on uncles boat did this and melted the coil (the whole coil case... :eek:) and the small forklift at my job...

I'm not trying to say 100% that's it, but definitely possibility the coin went sour over the deal, and points.

~ JR :chug:

Thanks everyone-- you guys sure are helpful. Hopefully once my manual gets here I'll start learning this stuff too. I know where the distributor cap is but have no idea how to get it off to check for points or what I should be looking for if I found them. fzsk4p the duct tape on the steering shaft is up by the top where it connects. I'm pretty sure that needs to be dealt with asap! I just got home from work and am going to try to jump it just in case the battery is bad.

Jessica,
if you have a camera, a picture is worth the proverbial thousand words.

You can use Photobucket etc to host your images.

Jumping it didn't help but it did sound more promising. I'm going to get a new battery and see if that helps. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

New battery helped--it wants to start now but still can't for some reason. It's really cranking which it wasn't before but it just wont turn over. GRRRRR. Did leaving the keys in damage my new ignition coil?

Did I fry something in the ignition? I looked at the ignition module and although it looks old (said Wells on it and the plugs were sort of sooty) nothing looked melted. Where is a good place to start looking???

It is possable to fry the module, I'd have it checked out.

Sounds like a problem with your ignition. I don't think you are getting a spark. As a matter of fact I think the best advice came from JR74CJ5.

1) Check points in distributor Clean, regap or replace...

I think you need new points. Your old V8 has points and if you leave the ignition on they will burn out.
getimage.php

Points don't cost much. They will need to be gapped.
The points are in the distributor. You could upgrade to a newer distributor. Going to an HEI distributor would be a great upgrade.

So the cap looks like it has clamps that hold it on..if I pop it off is that where the points are? Will I be able to see if they are bad? If I buy a new one will it be set already or do I need to figure out how to set it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom