keys left in and Jeep is dead

keys left in and Jeep is dead
I don't see any gas squirting anywhere. Great! No gas AND a weak spark. :(

It sounds like no gas is your real problem. I think you have enough spark to get your engine running if you had gas.
Add more gas to your tank. Maybe the gauge isn't working.
Otherwise it may be the fuel pump or filter.

Pour a little gas into the carb, to see if it'll fire off, just stand back
And becarefull. If it fires off then you have fuel delivery problem. Like I said a very little bit of gas, maybe a couple tablespoons. Again stand back and be very careful.
DROOOID2

You're right....I got some starter fluid and sprayed it into the carb and it started! YAY! :) Now what? I'm putting some pics up of what I think is the fuel pump and it looks pretty new. Also of the what I think is the filter (and I could be totally wrong) and that looks kind of old. The throttle cable is working- I can see it pulling the thing on the carb. Although the gas gauge doesn't work- I just filled it up recently and haven't driven very many miles since. I did add some extra gas from a can and it didn't help.

I think it's the fuel pump. You should also replace the fuel filter if you don't know when it's been replaced last. Usually when it's the fuel filter it sputters uphill, on the highway or other times when you need a lot of gas. On the other hand a bad pump often gives the symptoms more like what you have.
We can't rule out a fuel leak ether. The type of pump you have on the engine can suck air through a leak. It is possible that such a leak wont leak out fuel. It's a possibility but the fuel pump is more likely. Look over the fuel line and it's connections. If everything looks good I would put in a fuel pump. They cost about $25.

EDIT: You say the fuel pump looks new and the filter looks old. Try replacing the filter first. It sounds like it needs replacing anyway. They are only a couple of dollars.
ThumbnailLarge.ashx

Last edited:
Is that the fuel pump?? and this the filter?
jeepengine004.jpg

Is there supposed to be black goo coming out from around here??
jeepengine003.jpg

Yes, yes and the black goo is a sealer that was used on the gasket when the pump was replaced.

Looks pretty new doesn't it? I guess I'll try the filter first. Doesn't seem like a filter would suddenly cause no gas to get through. Maybe the newer pump failed somehow?

If the fuel pump operates only when the thing is being manually pumped by the cam shaft how would it squirt gas out when the engine is not running? Is there supposed to be some sort of pressure built up that will squirt gas when the engine isn't on?

It only works when the engine is running.
Even after you replace the pump it will take a bit of cranking before the gas gets to the engine.
This is also true if you run out of gas with a mechanical pump. Just crank the engine over and don't expect it to start immediately.

EDIT: The carburetor has a float bowl that holds a small reservoir of gas. That's why it normally doesn't take too much craning to get the engine started. There should already be plenty of gas already in the carb.

Last edited:
Ok...took off the line to the filter and cranked and some gas came out...did the same after the filter and no gas came out. Could this whole thing be due to a clogged filter??? Seems weird that a filter would cause the thing to completely not start. I have been having pretty rough starts- maybe a new filter will fix everything! Doubt it with my luck but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Then onto the duct tape!

Ok...took off the line to the filter and cranked and some gas came out...did the same after the filter and no gas came out. Could this whole thing be due to a clogged filter??? Seems weird that a filter would cause the thing to completely not start. I have been having pretty rough starts- maybe a new filter will fix everything! Doubt it with my luck but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Then onto the duct tape!

Bingo, you found a problem. Good job.

2 things. The filter may be clogged...... OR.......It may be installed backwards. Some fuel filters are made to work with the gas flowing one way.

Look to see if it (the filter) has an arrow on it. The arrow should point upstream....That is with the flow of fuel.

Might be a good idea to simply replace it and be done with it.

Be sure to check for flow again.

I'll take pics of the duct tape after I fix the starting problem. Out of time for today--I have to go to work. It sucks to be close to a solution (hopefully) and have to postpone fixing it. Although even if the fuel filter is the problem I will still have weak spark....*sigh*

I'll take pics of the duct tape after I fix the starting problem. Out of time for today--I have to go to work. It sucks to be close to a solution (hopefully) and have to postpone fixing it. Although even if the fuel filter is the problem I will still have weak spark....*sigh*

Yes but you are approaching things one at a time. That is good.

Your Jeep is some 37 years old. It`ll need a little TLC to make it smile.

~~~ I will still have weak spark....*sigh*
What are basing this on? Unless you are measuring the voltage at the coil wire (I doubt you have a 40,000 volt meter) you are just making an assumption. You cannot just go by eye, especially if you are comparing the spark to a new ignition. New ignitions put out double or more voltage.

Get the fuel problem repaired first, then if it still starts hard we will tackle that next.

This has to be the most responded to fuel filter thread ever. :D 1 thing at a time is the smartest thing you can do with a Cj. Id drive it a bit how it is after you replace the filter, just to get a "feel" of your Jeep.

Then move on to the next "quirk" or unsafe feeling it gives you. Having it running is always great , having it steering and stopping correctly is just plain smart. ;)

Yes...a bit embarrassing if all of this is because of a $3 fuel filter. I'm really not usually that lucky! i swear! We'll see tomorrow how it goes. I said the spark was weak because it took 3 attempts before even seeing a spark and then it was only a tiny yellow spark. I was under the impression it should be white or blue and a bit bigger? I could be wrong- I'm new at this! I'm learning a lot though so thanks everyone for all your friendly advice and suggestions.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom