keys left in and Jeep is dead

keys left in and Jeep is dead
This has to be the most responded to fuel filter thread ever. :D 1 thing at a time is the smartest thing you can do with a Cj. Id drive it a bit how it is after you replace the filter, just to get a "feel" of your Jeep.

Then move on to the next "quirk" or unsafe feeling it gives you. Having it running is always great , having it steering and stopping correctly is just plain smart. ;)
I think I can speak for most on this one. We are all gentlemen around here and jump at the chance to help a lady right....

OR we just don't get many women and everybody is trying to impress. Lol

DROOOID2

My filter has 2 outlets and the replacement ones in town have only one outlet. And I saw a snazzy clear one...Is there anyway to switch to a one outlet filter?:confused:

Your Jeep requires the correct dual outlet filter, the single line filters are generic ones. The second outlet is for the fuel return. The filter must be installed correctly with the return on the top.

Thanks. I found one finally and they have it in stock :). I'm on my way to pick it up. I hope it works!!!

new filter didn't help

:( The new filter is in place but gas is not getting through it for some reason. Gas comes out when cranking from the line before the filter but not after the filter. Is that the fuel pump? It really does look new if you look at the above pics. Maybe I don't have enough pressure to get through the filter. :confused:

You must not have enough pressure but it shouldn't take much pressure to go through a filter. It sounds like the pump is bad but first make sure you don't have a leak in the fuel line. If there is a leak between the tank and the pump it could suck air. I dont think you have a leak after the pump because a good pump would push gas out any leak after the pump and that would be easily noticeable.

It seems like gas was coming out pretty well before the filter..maybe like a tablespoon a crank. I'm not sure how much is supposed to come out though. How do I check for a leak in the fuel line? Is it underneath the Jeep?

One other thing: make sure the filter is installed correctly. There should be an arrow showing the way the fuel should flow. The filter has one inlet drawing gas from the pump. On the outlet side there is a hose in the center of the filter. This goes to the carb. The outlet side also has another hose that is a return that brings extra gas back to the tank.

Check the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Look for cracks in the line and loose connections.

I think the filter was upside down before I put a new one in. I put it in with the return on top and the main outlet to the carb. But the filter I took out didn't seemed very clogged anyway as air went through fine when blowing through it. Seems like the pump is ok- when cranking it looks like gas comes out in spurts like a pump would pump. Maybe I need a gas pressure tester to be able to tell? A new pump is pretty cheap if I need one but are they hard to install?

I didn't see any gas leaking anywhere underneath...I did however see some oil leaking :mad:. Just keeps getting better. I am going to have to tow it to a mechanic I think because I can't seem to figure it out and I'm getting frustrated. The gas line is mostly metal but there is one corner that is rubber and looks kind of old but I don't see any leak or anything. How do I tell if enough gas is getting to the fuel pump?

I am going to have to tow it to a mechanic I think because I can't seem to figure it out and I'm getting frustrated.
Don't quit now. We're almost there. A fuel pump is a fraction of the cost of the tow. That's what I would do.

I have to order on as nowhere has one in stock. I just don't understand why it would be bad when it is sending gas when cranking and looks pretty new. How much gas should it be sending is the question I guess...mine sent a few tablespoons after a few seconds of cranking. I've looked at how to replace it and it really doesn't seem too tricky (except making sure the lever is in the right place). I'm just wondering if that is actually what the problem is! Is that something that would fail suddenly and leaving the keys in had no effect on anything? It does start right up with the starter fluid (better than it ever has)..could that have been the pump not sending enough gas or???

I have to order on as nowhere has one in stock. I just don't understand why it would be bad when it is sending gas when cranking and looks pretty new. How much gas should it be sending is the question I guess...mine sent a few tablespoons after a few seconds of cranking. I've looked at how to replace it and it really doesn't seem too tricky (except making sure the lever is in the right place). I'm just wondering if that is actually what the problem is! Is that something that would fail suddenly and leaving the keys in had no effect on anything? It does start right up with the starter fluid (better than it ever has)..could that have been the pump not sending enough gas or???

Jessica,
yes the pump can go bad pretty quickly. Inside the pump is a rubber part. That rubber part can become brittle and not "flex" as it should. Soon a pin hole or crack develops and the pump will not push gas under pressure.

Unfortunately the formulation of today`s gasolines (think ethanol) tends to eat away rubber parts......like your fuel pump.......rather quickly. Newer, modern cars have rubber parts that are more resistant to the new(er) formulations of gasoline.

Any rubber part in your fuel line (system) is going to be affected by this. Be it a hose, pump or whatever.

Did the Jeep set any length of time before you got it ? If so the gas may have eaten the pump even though it looks new.

The fact that it starts and runs when you spray starting fluid in the carb proves that it is not getting and fuel.

YOU CAN fix this pretty easy. Yes you might have to get underneath the Jeep. You might even want to consider dropping the gas tank and making sure the hose, inlet and tank itself is in good condition. That way you will know for sure that everything is good. Might sound drastic but again, your Jeep is 37 years old. It will need plenty of TLC to make it right.

You don`t want to drink from a dirty glass or suck on a broken straw. Neither does you Jeep.

Like Dave said....Don`t give up now.

Again I preach the conservative approach. One system, one part at a time to bring your 37 year old Jeep up to date. That might mean it doesn`t run for a while but in the end you will be much further ahead. Plus you will have the confidence that it will start and then get you home every time.

The Jeep was supposedly totally rebuilt about 10 years ago. I'll try replacing the pump...I watched a you tube video on it and it didn't look to hard. In the ad I bought it from it said "runs and drives well'...that lasted about a week! I'm really hoping the fuel pump fixes it.

The Jeep was supposedly totally rebuilt about 10 years ago. I'll try replacing the pump...I watched a you tube video on it and it didn't look to hard. In the ad I bought it from it said "runs and drives well'...that lasted about a week! I'm really hoping the fuel pump fixes it.

ten years of ethanhol fuel would eat a pump.

I do everything I can to avoid buying the ethanol blend. A lot of the small indian owned stores around here don't sell the 10% blend, just regular good ole gasoline. The gov. And makers of that :dung: never considered the effects of it on older vehicles. Plus I seem to get worse gas mileage when I use it

DROOOID2

The fuel pump looks brand new...hard to tell I guess but its really shiny and probably the only clean, new looking part on the Jeep. I'll replace it and see how it goes. Most of the fuel line was metal...There are a few rubber tubes, one of which looks a bit dubious that I will replace too. Hopefully that and the new pump will fix Mr.Crabs! I bet you guys can't wait until I start the "What is this duct tape doing?" thread. :)
Thanks again for all your help. Virtual mojitos for everyone!

May be a good idea to go with electric fuel pump.A universal type with a seperate switch mounted in the dash with a on light is nice.

May be a good idea to go with electric fuel pump.A universal type with a seperate switch mounted in the dash with a on light is nice.
I disagree, get it running normally and then upgrade if needed... :)

i disagree too, she's still learning about the factory stuff, no need to add to the confusion with electric pumps, fuel pressure regulators, and the associated wiring. the factory mechanical fuel pump will do her fine once she gets a new one on it.:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom