keys left in and Jeep is dead

keys left in and Jeep is dead
Yes, the distributor cap clamps on. Remove that. Then you will see the rotor. Remove that too (both these parts are blue in this picture). Under the rotor is the points.
AMCV8pointsdistributor1.JPG

points-1.jpg
At first it may be hard to see if the points are good. They are contacts and a spring will hold them together. They be burnt and corroded where they touch. You cold try to scrape and clean them to see if that helps. They only cost $10 but they need to be adjusted. Check out this link: Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Those are great pics!! I've been reading about the HEI and it sounds really good. It seems to replace a lot of parts! Maybe I should look into that. Didn't sound super hard to install...but not super easy either. They weren't all that expensive either. If that would solve all my ignition problems it'd be money well spent!

It would solve your ignition problems for sure and make it run 100% better, but and this is a big one make sure when/if you buy one it has a non hardened gear on it, it being a v8 they don't like the hardened gears. also they need to be tuned to the motor properly. Do a quick search in the drivetrain forum and you'll find a lot of info on it, its kinda been a big debate/argument/pain in the <-BAD WORD-> here lately.

DROOOID2

Most of the ones I see seem to have hardened gears...Is [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4340 Chromolly Steel bottom Gear hardened?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Try to take a small piece of fine grit sand paper or emory cloth and lightly clean the surface of both contact points on the points. Then (What i do although a actual gapper is better to run right...) take a buisness card and cut & fold it (see attachment) like this and then make sure it slides in and out of the contact points semi freely... That is to say you want it to go in and out but not without touching both sides...

If you need to adjust it there is a small screw usually to loosen one side and push them closer or further apart...

Some also have an access point to adjust while running, but that doesn't really help you at the moment... :cool:

That is probably not the best way to do it (or the best instructions) it sounds more clear in my head...

In case you need to get it going before funds available to get the HEI
:chug: ~ JR

Anyone with this one? It got good reviews in another forum. Around $AMC 150 with the new thicker spark plug wires with free shipping.

Jeep HEI's

Jessica,
before you spend lots of $$ buying parts you might not need.......at this stage of the game.......... Do you have spark at the sparkplugs ?

Then move on to the ignition points. Test the resistance of the coil. Just do a basic once over of the ignition system.

Google is your friend. Search the web for "how to`s".

IE......How do I check for spark

There is a weak yellow spark...isn't it supposed to be white or blue???
Does that point to something in particular?

There is a weak yellow spark...isn't it supposed to be white or blue???
Does that point to something in particular?

OK, now we are getting somewhere. We have spark but as you said it ought to be blue/white. Yellow is weak and is not very good.

Let`s work backwards now. From the sparkplugs up to the dist.

How do the sparkplug wires look ? Ends clean and shiny ? Are the wires stiff and brittle or soft and supple ?

The dist cap. Terminals on the outside that the sparkplug wires slip over. Clean or corroded ? How about the terminals inside the cap ? Burn`t, whitish deposits or ??

The rotor. The center "button", is it worn away, dirty or chewed up ? How about the metal terminal on the outside diameter of the rotor ? Again how does it look ?

Now we get into the points and capacitor. Clean, dirty, whitish deposits ?

As you move from one part to another you will see obvious issues. Any part that looks suspicious will be best replaced.

I`ll bet that a 25 dollar tune up kit that has new points, capacitor, rotor, cap and wires will do wonders for your spark.

Google "how does an automotive distributor work" and learn how and why it does what it does. Now you will be able to apply that knowledge to your own Jeep.

Your manual will have a spec/procedure for testing the ignition coil.

The auto parts guy should have an ohm meter that he can test yours with. Take your coil in. Have them measure it and then compare it to a new coil/manual specs.

Everything looked pretty good except for 2 of the terminals in the cap looked a bit light geenish. The rotor looked good to me but I can't seem to get under the thing with the gear that the rotor sits on to see the points. That part looks pretty old and worn whatever it is. There is a bolt in the back that I can't access with a socket. I did just get a new coil last week but that was before the keys got left in so I could take it back and exchange it. The spark plug wires look clean and they aren't brittle or anything. I'll take a pic of the inside of the cap and post in the am.

As CJ was kind enough to point out the thing that looks older and worn is the place where the magnetic pickup is located.

The rotor is held in place by 2 phillips head screws. Remove the two screws and the rotor will pop off. Exposing the points and such under it.

The rotor looks kind of like this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/images/product_images/thumbs200/standard/sidr314x.jpg and just comes off without unscrewing anything.
It's the thing underneath it (with the magnetic pickup )that bolts on with one phillips screw that is easy to get and one bolt that holds a clamp on the back that I can't get at. I think the points are under there??

OK, slip on rotor. Good, it is easier to take off and on.

If the dist. has a magnetic pickup then it has no points.

Does it look like this ?
Store Locator | NAPA Online

Jessica, please just use this thread to work out your starting problem. By posting in two threads it makes it very difficult to track.

As fzsk4p stated, since your distributor has a mag pickup, you do not have points. You have a later model electronic ignition. Probably a duraspark - but unless you provide a picture (as requested) we cannot be sure.

Duraspark distributor

8.jpg

Potting%20Rivulets.jpg

Pickup%20Coil.JPG

I went to the HEI foroum to get a recommendation for a HEI but then it got a bit crossed I guess...and yes--I do indeed have one of the above pictured distributors. Where does that leave me?

So you have electronic ignition. That's good. Most '74 and older jeeps had points.
You say you are getting a spark but it's not too strong. Although HEI gives a much stronger spark it isn't nessisary to replace your distributor. Your spark should get your engine running. If it won't even start lets make sure you are getting gas. Take the air filter off. Have someone pump the gas pedal. Look and smell for gas squirting into the carb throat. If you don't have assistance you can pull on the throttle arm on the carb.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom