keys left in and Jeep is dead

WOah! That sounds advanced! I'm not even sure if I have a horn or not yet :). I've ordered the same one that's in there and I've been looking at new fuel lines and tanks just in case. I'm thinking I'll go with a braided steel one instead of the thin metal tube that's there now...if I have to. Really hoping that the new pump will fix things and that I get the lever positioned right. The video I saw had the pin inside the shaft propped up and the lever slid in below that--is that how my new one will go in?

Do you have a manual? If not, you need to purchase one as it will help explain replacing parts and diagnosing many of your problems... ;)

Do you have a manual? If not, you need to purchase one as it will help explain replacing parts and diagnosing many of your problems... ;)

It's on the way! I ordered the Chilton manual before it even broke. Along with a multimeter and fuel pressure gauge. Also have ordered my new fuel pump--hoping it comes with the matching gasket.

I've been looking at new fuel lines and tanks just in case. I'm thinking I'll go with a braided steel one instead of the thin metal tube that's there now...if I have to.
I highly doubt you will need to replace any tubular fuel lines. If anything maybe some of the rubber lines got brittle and leaked.

The video I saw had the pin inside the shaft propped up and the lever slid in below that--is that how my new one will go in?
Yes, replacing the pump is easy. That arm presses agenst the cam. You can't hardly get it in wrong.

Taking the time off to fix the seat covers I ordered that are a bit too tall for my seats...Hopefully the fuel pump fixing goes better than the sewing!:D

do you have a manual? If not, you need to purchase one as it will help explain replacing parts and diagnosing many of your problems... ;)

x2....

Hi Jessica! Looks like you've received nine pages of responses so far! Wow! :eek:

I'm a little confused. If memory serves, weren't you saying in the other thread that you didn't have any spark after leaving the key on? I take it you've since found that you don't have fuel getting to your carb instead?

Without reading all nine pages, would you mind giving a quick summary of what you've checked and done? How did it run before leaving the key on all night?

P.S. How's the weather down in Naples? My Dad lives right down the road from you on Marco Island. He use to live in Bonita Springs. Wish I was there right now instead of being stuck here in KC with a little snow left on the ground from a freak late storm.

Hi Jessica! Looks like you've received nine pages of responses so far! Wow! :eek:

I'm a little confused. If memory serves, weren't you saying in the other thread that you didn't have any spark after leaving the key on? I take it you've since found that you don't have fuel getting to your carb instead?
The battery was dead and I got it charged and it still wouldn't crank. Then I got a new battery and it would crank but not start. Than checked inside the dist. cap and found out (thanks to CJ) that I have no points at all but a Duraspark. Then checked for spark and saw a small yellow one. Then tried starter fluid and it fired right up. Checked the fuel going to the filter and some came out while cranking...not after the filter though. Changed the filter and still not enough fuel. I have a new fuel pup on order. I'll change that when it arrives and hopefully that will work!
Without reading all nine pages, would you mind giving a quick summary of what you've checked and done? How did it run before leaving the key on all night?
It took a few attempts to start it unless the engine was warmed up. With the starter fluid it starts immediately. Not sure if that was the pump dying or a completely different problem.
P.S. How's the weather down in Naples? My Dad lives right down the road from you on Marco Island. He use to live in Bonita Springs. Wish I was there right now instead of being stuck here in KC with a little snow left on the ground from a freak late storm.
The weather is GREAT right now! It's the sunny dry season which is why I've been trying so hard to get the Jeep working. Soon it will be too hot and raining everyday... I live very close to Marco Island by Collier and 41.

The battery was dead and I got it charged and it still wouldn't crank. Then I got a new battery and it would crank but not start. Than checked inside the dist. cap and found out (thanks to CJ) that I have no points at all but a Duraspark. Then checked for spark and saw a small yellow one. Then tried starter fluid and it fired right up. Checked the fuel going to the filter and some came out while cranking...not after the filter though. Changed the filter and still not enough fuel. I have a new fuel pup on order. I'll change that when it arrives and hopefully that will work!
It took a few attempts to start it unless the engine was warmed up. With the starter fluid it starts immediately. Not sure if that was the pump dying or a completely different problem.
The weather is GREAT right now! It's the sunny dry season which is why I've been trying so hard to get the Jeep working. Soon it will be too hot and raining everyday... I live very close to Marco Island by Collier and 41.

I can see the battery or ignition having issues after the keys were left on all night, but it's a really weird coincidence that your fuel system developed issues at the same time. Once in a blue moon a coincidence will have you looking in all the wrong directions. Since it fires up with starting fluid, it sure sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with it, and keep up posted.

P.S. I know Collier well. I'm also way to familliar with working outdoors in South Florida during the Summer. I about dehydrated myself to death replacing the hard to get to impellers in my Dad's water pumps in his boat the last time I was down there. Small world huh? :chug:

~~~ Checked the fuel going to the filter and some came out while cranking...not after the filter though. Changed the filter and still not enough fuel. I have a new fuel pup on order. I'll change that when it arrives and hopefully that will work! ~~~
Do one more thing before you change your pump, check for a leak in the line from the tank to the pump. A very easy way to do this is to put some gas in a can and run a new fuel hose from the suction side of the pump (the inlet) into the can. Keep the can as even with the pump as possible (place it on the frame rail). Try starting the Jeep. If it starts and runs you have a fuel line leaking air.

Do one more thing before you change your pump, check for a leak in the line from the tank to the pump. A very easy way to do this is to put some gas in a can and run a new fuel hose from the suction side of the pump (the inlet) into the can. Keep the can as even with the pump as possible (place it on the frame rail). Try starting the Jeep. If it starts and runs you have a fuel line leaking air.
Good Idea! That's how I originally started my CJ motor last Summer when I was assembling it but hadn't installed the tank or run the new fuel line yet.

Thanks for the advice on how to check the line...I tried it after work today and still no luck. I can't wait until the new pump arrives! Hopefully this will fix the problem. It starts so well with the starter fluid...hoping I can get it to start that quickly once the new pump is installed. Would a failing pump cause hard starting??:confused:

:D Mr. Crabs is fixed!!! The new fuel pump got here and I installed it this morning and Mr. Crabs is starting better than ever! It must have been going bad and that was maybe why I had such hard starts??? Thanks again for everyone's help and for being understanding of my Limited knowledge. Maybe we can tackle my loose steering next...I'll have to post pics of the duct tape.:chug:

:D Mr. Crabs is fixed!!! The new fuel pump got here and I installed it this morning and Mr. Crabs is starting better than ever! It must have been going bad and that was maybe why I had such hard starts??? Thanks again for everyone's help and for being understanding of my Limited knowledge. Maybe we can tackle my loose steering next...I'll have to post pics of the duct tape.:chug:
Jessica,
glad to read the Mr.Crabs is starting to behave.

When you start the duct tape steering. Do it in a new thread please.

There was a really cute crab sticker by the radio that he came with. It's a goofy smiling crab wearing a sailor hat. I can't figure out what it's from but I love it so I figured Mr. Crabs was a good name. Plus he is old and crabby! With the new gas pump he's pretty peppy though and starts better. Although (and probably because of the carb adjustments I tried) he's kind of lurching and jumpy in 1st gear.

There was a really cute crab sticker by the radio that he came with. It's a goofy smiling crab wearing a sailor hat. I can't figure out what it's from but I love it so I figured Mr. Crabs was a good name. Plus he is old and crabby! With the new gas pump he's pretty peppy though and starts better. Although (and probably because of the carb adjustments I tried) he's kind of lurching and jumpy in 1st gear.

And to think I was thought it was a Sponge Bob thing.............:p

Lurchy and jumpy `eh ? Now is the time to inspect all your vacuum lines. Cheap and VERY effective fix. Your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAP) will have bulk line for pennies a foot. Just bring a piece of the old line in for sizing.

If you are nervous about mixing them up then take a picture before you touch anything.

Cracks, holes, disconnected lines etc. A vacuum leak would be a symptom of being lurchy and jumpy.

Do you have power brakes ? Don`t forget the line to the booster. Your FLAP can help you with hose here also.

I do like Mr. Crabs from spongebob too :)

I don't know how to do any of that stuff! It seems to have sorted itself out though. I changed all the spark plugs and wires today--it was smelling pretty gassy so hopefully it helps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom