Looking to do a 5 spd tranny in my CJ7

Looking to do a 5 spd tranny in my CJ7
Both Novak and Advance Adapter have quality parts. Both have done these swaps for years and can help with all the parts. I have dealt with Advance more than Novak. I think it is your choice.

No experience w/ AA but avoid Novak. SBC->AX15 in my YJ is nothing but problems. Clutch release issues and it eats a pilot bushing every year. Two different AX15s, several bellhousings, etc. I'm convinced the adapter is off center but they won't hear it. They left critical hardware out when I bought it and it took them two tries after that to get it right. I tried one and then two size up master cylinders before I got full release but then took way too much pedal effort to operate it in a smooth manner. The clutch is an on-off switch.

I'm saving for an automatic. I'm sick of pulling the Transmission . 2-3x a year trying to fix it. Its fine (for now) but I just can't trust it and its kept me off the trails for over a year now.

I do fully trust the AX15 behind a sub 300HP SBC though. I think the tranny choice is sound, but just stay away from Novak for the adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.... My 350 is mild so hopefully I want have a lot of issues.

Definitely do NOT do T-5 behind 350 v8- will chew it up. The NWC T-5 is adequate for AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l at most. Love mine, had fun rebuilding it, but not gutsy enough to do what my bro-in-law did and chew it up behind a SBC- twice! Slow learner.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom