Mmmmmm donuts, a long winded rant and cry for help.

Mmmmmm donuts, a long winded rant and cry for help.
They did a smiffer test here in ohio up till 5 years ago based on you vin. no. my jeep came up as a I6 of course even though it had a 350 in it. (they never poped the hood)
It passed a newer ford mustage in the stall next to me failed.:laugh:

The tribal wisdom is that you should have all the parts you had when it was new.
this is the state position. Weather the people at the emission station will even lift the hood is a good question. On the other hand I have the option of registration in Fannin Co. For the folks in Fannin Co. it's pretty much a case of "do the lights work? that will be $XX".

That's the way it is here. Lights, Horn, wipers, turn sigs, brakes. Pay the man
& your gone.:grinjeep:

That's the way it is here. Lights, Horn, wipers, turn sigs, brakes. Pay the man
& your gone.:grinjeep:
You just gotta love life in the country.:cool:

The whole emissions thing is really a PITA when you are trying to have a little fun. I want the 4.0 head replacement with headers, 3 angle valves and a new cam. Right now I can only imagine what the states position on home built TBI systems is.:eek: I also want to mount another alternator where the smog pump is for an on board welder and/or air compressor. I am amazed that I am trying to think of ways to work with in the law rather than ways to get around it, I can only attribute this to a CJ withdrawal. It has been way too long since I have spent time in my jeep off or on the asphalt. Civilization has set in. This will require extensive counseling and excessive drinking in addition to infusions or rust, dirt and petroleum products through the skin and under the fingernails.
At least I have no objection to the therapy.:cool:

You just gotta love life in the country.:cool:

The whole emissions thing is really a PITA when you are trying to have a little fun. I want the 4.0 head replacement with headers, 3 angle valves and a new cam. Right now I can only imagine what the states position on home built TBI systems is.:eek: I also want to mount another alternator where the smog pump is for an on board welder and/or air compressor. I am amazed that I am trying to think of ways to work with in the law rather than ways to get around it, I can only attribute this to a CJ withdrawal. It has been way too long since I have spent time in my jeep off or on the asphalt. Civilization has set in. This will require extensive counseling and excessive drinking in addition to infusions or rust, dirt and petroleum products through the skin and under the fingernails.
At least I have no objection to the therapy.:cool:

You could have better than stock tail pipe emissions with the TBI, being stock was that POS 2barrel carb.;)

You could have better than stock tail pipe emissions with the TBI, being stock was that POS 2barrel carb.;)

actually stock was the POS one barrel carb, I had to do quite a bit of work to have the POS 2 barrel carb.:laugh:

did you figure out how to fix this IO? if so i need to know how i'm going to completely remove my exhaust today and try to get it right, its been leakin and flopping around a bit, driving me crazy, also goin to fill up the Dana 300 with gear dope and get it ready to go to aetna mtn next weekend :banana::oops:

As yet, no. I figure that I shall break it loose and see where it hangs and take it from there. I am still debating the 4.0 head with header option which will eliminate this problem but also eliminate the emission system, which will be fine short term but may be a problem in 10 or 12 years. You can never tell what the government will come up with next. :cool:

did you figure out how to fix this IO? if so i need to know how i'm going to completely remove my exhaust today and try to get it right, its been leakin and flopping around a bit, driving me crazy, also goin to fill up the Dana 300 with gear dope and get it ready to go to aetna mtn next weekend :banana::oops:

i plan to do the same thing with the 4.0 head later but its driving me absolutely nuts right now. it wiggles itself loose then the exhaust starts floppin around i got to do something about it today, i'll post up the results later and let you know what i figured out if anything

i plan to do the same thing with the 4.0 head later but its driving me absolutely nuts right now. it wiggles itself loose then the exhaust starts floppin around i got to do something about it today, i'll post up the results later and let you know what i figured out if anything
There is supposed to be a mount from the pipe to the Transmission cross member that will keep the pipe stable with the movement of the engine. I would start by looking at that.:cool:

oh ima strip it all off and re-do it, it will be fixed today, i'll look for that while i'm at it
Yours doesn't have a gasket does it? it has the cast on to the manifold donut?

well here's a little background on that, when i rebuilt my motor i didn't pay much attention to how the exhaust came apart, i mean come on its just exhaust right? well when i went to put it back together i just assumed it had a donut gasket so i go to the parts store to get one, they couldn't find one for it. so he goes up a couple of year models and gets me one, i take it home and it fits so i guess everything is ok, wrong. after reading through this and taking it back apart for inspection (about 10 min ago) i find out that there is one molded onto the ex. manifold. but surely it has to have some sort of gasket between the pipe and manifold right?

thk.png I know some people use the red high temp rtv to seal there headers.

but yeah it does have what looks like a donut gasket cast onto the manifold. there has gotta be a gasket for it seal right though. someone tell me if i'm wrong please
I don't think you need a gasket of any sort. I would make sure the donut isn't eroded and check the bell on the end of the pipe for cracks and dents. :cool:

thk.png I know some people use the red high temp rtv to seal there headers.
If anybody else told me this I would tell them to there face they were full of BS but with the respect I have for you Dog I will wait until you turn your back.:laugh:
For real?? I think hi temp RTV is great stuff and although the pipes may reach 500 deg give or take I guess it would be considerably cooler next to the head. I guess it could happen. I don't think it would hold up very well in this place, I think at very best there is going to be a bit of movement and friction.

I don't think you need a gasket of any sort. I would make sure the donut isn't eroded and check the bell on the end of the pipe for cracks and dents. :cool:

Hey IO, PM Brock.
He put info you need in another post, but it escapes me now.
You know what they say, your mind is the first to go.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey IO, PM Brock.
He put info you need in another post, but it escapes me now.
You know what they say, your mind is the first to go.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
like Ozzy said " of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."
I think the stuff Brock put up was the differences in the manifold, specifically when the change from gasket to casting took place. I think we have talked about this already but he will be in in a bit and throw his .02 I bet. Cheep if you are in a rush you may want to PM him.:cool:

If anybody else told me this I would tell them to there face they were full of BS but with the respect I have for you Dog I will wait until you turn your back.:laugh:
For real?? I think hi temp RTV is great stuff and although the pipes may reach 500 deg give or take I guess it would be considerably cooler next to the head. I guess it could happen. I don't think it would hold up very well in this place, I think at very best there is going to be a bit of movement and friction.

Permatex makes some copper infused sealant for that purpose, but I cannot personally attest to it's effectiveness.

like Ozzy said " of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."
I think the stuff Brock put up was the differences in the manifold, specifically when the change from gasket to casting took place. I think we have talked about this already but he will be in in a bit and throw his .02 I bet. Cheep if you are in a rush you may want to PM him.:cool:

There are some crazy sounding home remedies that work.
Back in the day we used "Cherry Chapstick" on Holley carb gaskets so they would not stick to the float bowls & mess them up when changing jets.
Or spraying head gaskets with silver paint to help sealing.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom