Need K&N for my 4 barrel?

Need K&N for my 4 barrel?

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
OK guys...fighting a gas smell which turns off the Mrs. Tracked down and repaired a leaking return hose from the fuel filter.

Now...a friend of mine says my carb (1405 Edelbrock - 600 cfm) doesn't have a vacuum secondary...meaning all 4 barrels are used all the time. That's too much fuel he says and he could be right. He says a K&N will allow more air which will burn the extra fuel - stopping the lingering fuel smell. Thoughts before I spend 50.00 on one? many thanks. :chug:

I don't think it would make any differrence in the gas smell.
I also believe your friend is wrong about all 4 barrels working all the time, the back 2 barrels shouldn't open till the linkage is oppened so far.
Take the aircleaner off and watch them open while you work the linkage.

I don't think it would make any differrence in the gas smell.
I also believe your friend is wrong about all 4 barrels working all the time, the back 2 barrels shouldn't open till the linkage is oppened so far.
Take the aircleaner off and watch them open while you work the linkage.
yep....4bbls are designed to run with the primaries only until the throttle linkage engages the secondaries. At that point, you are well into the gas pedal.

cant imagine how an engine would idle with the primaries AND secondaries open all the time...no matter how much air you put to it. :wtf:

Sorry but your friend is wrong.
Go to
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

Read up on the basic functions of each sub system of the carb. Read it. Learn it and understand how the carb works. From there you can understand what your engine is doing.

You will see the secondary's ARE controlled with an air valve.

Start with making sure the carb is adjusted properly per the manual. You MUST establish a baseline around the parameters the carb was designed for.

From there you may need to make minor changes if in fact he carb is running rich.

I`ve had great luck in tuning the Edlebrocks by simply following the manual. Particular attention to inlet fuel pressure as outlined in the manual a MUST.

On a CJ7 with and AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and an Offy intake. Added a fuel pressure regulator. Changed the primary jetting. Changed the accel pump stroke and choke operation. Turning a poor performing engine into sweetness.

Do remember the golden rule of tuning a carb. One change at a time and allow the engine to warm up to operating temp.

BTW, K&N`s are awful as filters. The amount of small micron particles (those are the ones that do the most damage) that the filter let`s pass through is unacceptable. Better to use a good quality paper filter. Have had good luck with AEM on mine.

Granted a non conforming YJ but you get the idea.
Picture057.jpg

Last edited:
Great info - thank you all. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the help and guidance here. Hopefully before long I can begin answering as much as I ask :)

BTW, K&N`s are awful as filters. The amount of small micron particles (those are the ones that do the most damage) that the filter let`s pass through is unacceptable.

Do you have proof of this? A properly oiled K&N uses a static charge to draw the particles to the oil, and therein lies it's effectiveness. Oiled improperly or not enough and you might as well not run a filter at all.

Just curious. I've ran K&N's for years and haven't heard of this being an issue when used correctly. I would think the designers would test filters for particle saturation and bypass

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom