New to me D-44

New to me D-44
OK tonights project was successful. lowered/raised the perch radius by 1/2". This should put me to within 1/8' of where I once was if you don't count the bigger axle tube diameter.

I may be over thinking this but I paid good money and put a lot of work into what Limited lift I have. I don't want to give up a 16th without a fight.:pissed:

IO , Nice job , looks great:notworthy:..............One more suggestion when you go to weld those on beings they look like 3/8" plate and the axle tube is either 5/16" or 3/8" and will require some pretty good heat for penetration you may want to put a little heat on the opposite side prior to welding. Or stitch weld it alternating sides so as not to create enough heat on either side to bend the tube up.
Normally when I cut or weld a bunch on axles I try to moderate the heat from side to side.
In extreme cases I have had to cut the bearing ends off on both sides , run my rear end jig through the middle and weld them both back on last after everything has cooled.
:D:D:D:D

Good suggestions. TY:cool:

IO , Nice job , looks great:notworthy:..............One more suggestion when you go to weld those on beings they look like 3/8" plate and the axle tube is either 5/16" or 3/8" and will require some pretty good heat for penetration you may want to put a little heat on the opposite side prior to welding. Or stitch weld it alternating sides so as not to create enough heat on either side to bend the tube up.
Normally when I cut or weld a bunch on axles I try to moderate the heat from side to side.
In extreme cases I have had to cut the bearing ends off on both sides , run my rear end jig through the middle and weld them both back on last after everything has cooled.
:D:D:D:D

What did you get it out of and what is it geared with? Very nice. :cool:

they came from a 75 CJ5 and are geared with 3.2X. (something other than what I wanted.

will be geared with 3.54 and have an OX lock with disks in a couple of weeks if all goes well.:drool:

What did you get it out of and what is it geared with? Very nice. :cool:

OK after total re engineering and some quality time on the saw and mill.

:cool:

worked on this for half hour with die grinder and finly gave in to the hot wrench.

:D

Spent quality time with the Mikita last night and pulled the other axle and the carrier. I have an open differential and 3.73/1 R&P for a 30 spline Dana 44 I don't know what to do with.

taking axles and housing to the machine shop for bearings , seals and a couple hours in the "hot tank" for the housing in the morning.

I pulled the little 3 way manifold for the brake lines off and found it was held on with a rather large sheet metal screw rather than a machine screw. I am sure there are some outstanding mechanics in East Texas but this guy was not one of them.:dunno:

I would like to present to you, "The mother of all axles".

I like the way OX is reflective paint.:D

Dana 44
Dana gear 3.54 R&P
new Timkin bearings and seals everywhere
OX selectable locker
TSM disk brakes.
paint by Rustolium

I thought about a truss but decided I really didn't need it.:cool:

kind of hate to get it dirty.:(

Wow IO:notworthy:
That is some incredible work! I was going to post in your thread because I was just so pleased with myself for figuring out what was wrong with the picture (the plumbing coupling!!!!!) before scrolling to the next post. I need a Dana 44 for my 59 CJ5 (has a Dana 30 in the rear), so I continued to read. The more I read, the more "in over my head" I am feeling.:eek: You folks really know your stuff! I got lost part way through what you were doing..:eek: I'm not planning a lift, actually, I want to make this my agi-jeep, so I need an offset Dana 44 , so I can install a rear pto, (if I can find one). You sure do nice work:D
(I have sooo much to learn...........)

I count four jeeps, you got to know something about them!!;)

Wow IO:notworthy:
That is some incredible work! I was going to post in your thread because I was just so pleased with myself for figuring out what was wrong with the picture (the plumbing coupling!!!!!) before scrolling to the next post. I need a Dana 44 for my 59 CJ5 (has a Dana 30 in the rear), so I continued to read. The more I read, the more "in over my head" I am feeling.:eek: You folks really know your stuff! I got lost part way through what you were doing..:eek: I'm not planning a lift, actually, I want to make this my agi-jeep, so I need an offset Dana 44 , so I can install a rear pto, (if I can find one). You sure do nice work:D
(I have sooo much to learn...........)

I had to have the spring plates and U bolts and the perches came with the kit, I will have to say that the vendor was not too forthcoming about the perches being primarily for a SOA. In fact it was described as an SOA/SUA swap kit. Fortunately they were not too hard for me to shorten. But if you didn't have a milling machine it could really be a PITA.:D

When doing some stockish axle swapping, like putting an XJ SOA axle in a SUA Comanche, I use these:

Mopar Performance P4120074 - Mopar Performance Rear Spring Mounting Seats - Overview - SummitRacing.com

$13 a pair and they are close to most stock designs.

Awesome looking axle Sir!

now for the prize the thing that I learned the hard way that will make reading all this worth while.:D

just above the top right bearing bolt of the Dana 44 is a cast in baffle, thats the only way I can think of to describe it. It extends into the path of the shifting fork just enough to not allow it to be assembled. The written instructions that come in the box say nothing about this possibility and the on line PDF refers to it as "some axles will need....". The illustration in the PDF is a Dana axle but it is bottom up so it is difficult to see where the problem could occur.

With this small bit of knowledge you will be able to spend 3 minutes with a die grinder before assembly rather than using a flat mill file for a half hour.

I do not think you can take off too much, I have not decided what the purpose of this part of the casting is.

this is the after picture, I did not take a before, I was a bit upset with myself for a minute or two.:mad:

everything worked out OK.:)

The axle is in, more or less.

Just a little surprised that the drive shaft is now too short, at this point the weight on axle position is a bit longer than the maximum extention of the shaft.

Measuring everything shows that the Dana 44 is actually a bit longer from axle center to u joint center so I still don't quite understand how this has happened:confused:

sounds like the jeep just wants a new driveshaft to go with the new rear.:D

Take a measurement and let me know. I have a couple of driveshafts with different lengths. I'll help you out if I can but its gonna be a crapshoot. ;) Even if its something you wouldnt want to wheel hard it may be good in a crisis situation.:dunno:
The axle is in, more or less.

Just a little surprised that the drive shaft is now too short, at this point the weight on axle position is a bit longer than the maximum extention of the shaft.

Measuring everything shows that the Dana 44 is actually a bit longer from axle center to u joint center so I still don't quite understand how this has happened:confused:

Pete, your a pal and I really appreciate you but I am calling Tom Woods in the morning. the real bummer is that the next project is a T-18 and that will require a shorter shaft. I'm going to ask Tom Woods if he can shorten one of his shafts at a later date.:D

just for the record the center of the new one will be 21 1/4" and the old one is about 19". and still, I do not know where it came from.:confused:

Does anybody have experience changing the e brake cable to make it work with GM calipers? I am thinking I can shorten the Jeep cable and silver solder a Ferrel on the new end, :cool:

Take a measurement and let me know. I have a couple of driveshafts with different lengths. I'll help you out if I can but its gonna be a crapshoot. ;) Even if its something you wouldnt want to wheel hard it may be good in a crisis situation.:dunno:

your right, this is strange. I think I will measure it again tonight before I order a new one.:cool:

That's crazy, almost the same size as mine in my 7.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom