Not FAmiliar with Much

Not FAmiliar with Much

jwill22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
okay well idel gets stuck high when im driving, so im having to constantly press the gas pedal quickly, so it could idel back to normal. so im having to put the electric choke to use everytime i come to a stop cause its reving pretty high. i heard it could possibly be my cylenoid on my carbureator?? does anyone have any idea what it is??

is your throttle return springs hooked up correctly?
is the carb in good condition, clean inside and out and not rusty?
is your throttle cable or linkage lubricated, and not sticking?
is the throttle plates lubricated and not rusty?
did you recently install a aftermarket air cleaner (or carb) and its interfering with the operation?

get some WD-40 or PB Blaster and soak everything related to the carb and linkage
(WITH THE ENGINE OFF), work it around by playing with the pedal, and the linkage under the hood, then get back to us.

please fill out your profile, so we know what you have, use a spellchecker, and WELCOME to the best CJ forum on the net!

Jwill,

Also, make sure the black electric coil on the side of your carb is adjusted correctly. It sounds like the disc is rotated to far to the engage side. I can't remember which way you need to turn it but there is an easy way to tell.

1. Look at the top of the carb where the black choke coil is. There are marks on the carb and the coil.
  2. Mark both so you can put the coil back exactly where it is.
  3. loosen the three small retaining screws on the coil.
  4. Hold the throttle open.
  5. Rotate the coil clockwise and see if the choke plate closes. If it does then that is the direction for making the engine run RICHER.
  6. Turn the coil BACK to the initial setting then go ONE tick mark beyond where it was.
  7. Tighten up the screws.
  8. Go for a test drive and see if it still engages the fast idle. If it does repeat the procedure.

This is only applicable if your linkages and such aren't sticking, verify by using the instructions MyLittleCJ5 suggested.

Let us know what you find!

PS - I don't care how your spelling is! :) :laugh:

put a manuel choke on like i did.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks