One piece axle on stock 20 rear

One piece axle on stock 20 rear
MN4x4 I have superior axles in mine and both the inner and outer seal are stock jeep part numbers. Maybe summers bros did something strange.

And...The AMC20 does not have a woodruff key buy the way.

Actually the AMC/Jeep M20 rear axle does have a woodruf key at the hub, an old race trick for AMC car guys was to machine another key 180 from the original. I have had several Jeeps over the year and worked on hundreds more. I have only ever seen 2 model 20 axle shafts fail, I have seen numerious axles spin in the hub and I'm willing to bet 99% of them were due to lack of keeping the axle nut torqued. Every AMC20 I have serviced in the last 10 years has had axle nuts that did not have enough torque on the nut. On my trail Jeep I ran a fully locked M20 with 35" tires for several years on 2 piece axles with no failures, only changing when I stepped up to 38's and good a really good deal on a warn full float kit. I am also running a 360 and 4:1 in the Transfer Case and am by no means gentle having gone thru several Dana 30 axles Befor building a Dana 44 front.

I do stand corrected. Yes the 2 peice has a small key along with the splines, I had to go check my old axles and unlike the tapered 44 that has no spline but a large key the 20 has small splines and a small key. I do agree with you on the nut torque as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom